Make a donation

Author Topic: Eagle F1 SuperSport  (Read 9011 times)

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Eagle F1 SuperSport
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 11:53:31 pm »
Definitely on my next purchase list.

90 fitted is decent

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 05:57:58 pm »
Having recently moved from PS4 to F1SS on the front, I’m not 100% convinced that they are a slam dunk recommendation. Perhaps it may be because the roads have been cold these past couple of months and also because I don’t often get to drive too hard, however I haven’t felt any benefits over the PS4. They spin up easier and feel more numb on turn in, with a lumpier ride.  Perhaps things will reverse once we get above 20c?!?

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 06:16:17 pm »
Something not right there as the Supersports are a huge improvement over the PS4 on mine.  Both with the Ohlins coilovers, and the far cheaper ST suspension.

The PS4s slipped and squealed very easily.  The SuperSports never make a noise, ever.  Just complete composure and sure footedness at any speed and temperature.

The SS does need quite a few miles to settle in and scrub off the first mill of tread or so, and then they truly come alive.

Yes, the SS is far stiffer than the PS4 so ride comfort will suffer.  I did warn you of that  :smiley:

Have your SP BJs slipped?  They are known for that, apparently. Checked mine the other day and they're still in the same position, but I did give them a lot more torque than specified.

The SS is the best tyre I've had to date.  Looking forward to trying the PS4S next for comparison, or maybe the SS R.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:18:06 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 06:35:57 pm »
No, the camber is still close to 2 degrees on both side Kev however the car simply feels less nimble and supple. Maybe that will change with more miles and warmer tarmac.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 07:25:49 pm »
Dunno how you achieved -2 degs.  I could only get -1.25ish when both sides were evened out.  One BJ was maxed out and the other had to be pulled in a bit, but thats not uncommon when using a deadset kit as it trues up the subframe.

Anyway, give them time. All of the deficiencies of the PS4 I experienced when pushing on were completely eradicated with the SS.  Being a London car, yours probably isn't seeing the same kind of loadings and temperatures as my hard driven rural/motorway driven car.

Oh....just remembered.  Try dropping the pressures to 33-34psi.  I found the stock 36psi started to eat the middles away with the SS.  PS4 was fine with 36psi.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:31:10 pm by Pudding »

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 07:23:03 pm »
Just to square the circle, it seems I had a slow leak on one of the rear wheels (fixed today) and the steering now feels more precise / nimble. I’m only a couple hundred miles in on the F1SS and am told they take a while to scrub in properly. I may also get a less lumpy ride with a bit less pressure (36psi) however time will be my friend here.

More interestingly, I had a mosey around the new MV Augusta showroom with my son in Sloane Avenue whilst KwikFit did their work and they’ve some lovely kit in there!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:23:16 pm by colesey »

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:13 pm »
You've only got SS on the front though iirc?  It's difficult to draw conclusions and have fair comparisons vs a car that has SS on each corner to be fair.

200 miles is nothing.  Give it a 1000 and report back  :wink:

I'll tell you the biggest difference for me....... 70+mph corners. Yes, there are a few of them where I live, mainly slip roads.  The PS4 got proper squidgy and unpredictable when loading them up THAT much.  The SS is a massive improvement in that scenario, but granted, not everyone is a lunatic like me  :grin:

The price you pay for that level of high speed stability is inevitably harshness over bumps at urban speeds.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 10:33:00 pm »
Think I'm sold on my next set of tyres.  :driver:

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2021, 02:24:37 pm »

I swear by Goodyears.

I have been modifying cars for 20 years and lots of people ignore a good set of tyres.

I had a 93 impreza WRX back in the 90's.  The guy before me had fitted Toyo Proxy P1's and they were complete and utter gash, even though very recommended by scoobynet and pistonheads pros.

I got the car remapped and after when i gave it the beans around the corners it would 4 wheel drift like i was a member of the plastic dancing on ice crew you see on BBC 1 of a sat evening.

I replaced them with Goodyear GSD3's all round and it made all the difference.

A corner i would take at 60mph on the toyo's became 80mph with the Goodyears with confidence.

No matter how much you spend on your engine and drive train, if you cop out on tyres you might as well throw all the money you have spent on your engine down the drain.

Fitting your car with poor tyres is like running a marathon in flip flops!

I'm a total covert to GY and have on two older different Porsches Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and 3 all round. A sports/race handling suspension and geo set up guru who fine tunes my set up from time to time put me on to latest GY's as being a bit of a new benchmark. Asked him about Mich's and he mentioned the new GY compounds and level of grip are now a bit of a reference point for Mich themselves (this, according to the Mich representative he deals with).

Transformed the handling of my motors. As soon as I can get rid of these Nexen's that came with my GTi few months ago, then GY's will go straight on - may even do it sooner if a flash discount offer finds its way into my inbox!

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 02:34:39 pm »
Spread the joy if you get a tidy discount code ha ha.

I'm tempted by the 5's through work at 62 each.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »
You've only got SS on the front though iirc?  It's difficult to draw conclusions and have fair comparisons vs a car that has SS on each corner to be fair.

200 miles is nothing.  Give it a 1000 and report back  :wink:

Not sure that I would agree with that Kev as the front tyres do so much more than the rears - 60% of weight up there / bulk of braking / steering / driven wheels. Rears are pretty passive in our cars.

Anyhow, I am now a few months in and am not finding a lot of love for the F1SS.  They certainly have more grip on a warm road when pushing harder but are otherwise less supple and subtle than the PS4. A true summer tyre, they have a narrower operating window for both climate and driving style.  After 10 years of Michelin, I enjoy the car less with these. Lumpy ride, somewhat inert feeling. YMMV as the Americans say.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 12:42:43 pm »
They better be good, having a pair of fronts fitted this afternoon.  :party:

edit -

Goodyear F1 supersport by GVKmotorsport, on Flickr

They're brand new and need scrubbing in obviously, but even from a short drive home from the tyre shop in the wet, less TCS intervention accelerating in 3rd than before, which is promising. Dull 'looking' tyre though, all of them look the same these days?

edit#2 Jesus - now the rain stopped I went out for fuel, the turn in even on damp roundabouts is insane on these, reminds me of my mk2 days running track day tyres such as R888/Kumho Ecsta/A048 etc.!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:16:31 pm by GVK »

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2021, 12:03:40 am »
edit#2 Jesus - now the rain stopped I went out for fuel, the turn in even on damp roundabouts is insane on these,

Yup  :happy2:

Wait until you've scrubbed 10-15% off them  :happy2:

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2021, 08:05:45 pm »
Supersport a much better buy over the standard f1!

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 09:39:03 am »
About 100miles or so on them so far and they keep on getting better.  :driver: