Make a donation

Author Topic: Eagle F1 SuperSport  (Read 9020 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Eagle F1 SuperSport
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:52:04 pm »
As Michelin (still) plum refuse to sell us the PS4S in 18", and as they've also stuck a Brexit tax on the PS4, I thought I'd give the F1 SuperSport a whirl.

It's a direct competitor to the PS4S.  Goodyear are really laying the smack down at Michelin's feet currently.  As well as the SuperSport, they also do a SuperSport R, which is a Pilot Sport Cup 2 equivalent.  Goodstuff.

I'd rather give an American tyre company my money, rather than the bloody French who are quick to penalise us Brits for Brexit, and who also think we are not worthy of selling an 18" PS4S to.....f'ck em'.

Anyway, the F1 SuperSport.....what can I say.  It absolutely destroys the PS4 in every way.  I can't compare to PS4 S for the reasons above, but TyreReviews put the F1 SuperSport very close to the PS4S, and it even beats it by quite a margin in the wet handling tests.

And the best bit about it.....the F1 SS is currently cheaper than a PS4!  Thanks Brexit  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Eagle F1 SuperSport
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:03 pm »
One to look out for when the time comes then, would be good to get more feedback on wear etc.
Just had a look on camskill and the PS4 is £86 for 18"? I managed to get mine in the sale last year for £70 a pop.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »
The old F1 GSD2 & 3 were always a good wet weather tyre, shame the new tyres don't have that old funky tread pattern!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:36:04 am »
I got the F1 SuperSports for £90 a corner, fitted, 2 weeks ago.  At the time, the best price I saw on the PS4 was £104.  I don't personally care about wear.  Grip is more important to me  :smiley:  The SS feels the same in the dry and wet.  The cornering grip is top tier, as is the traction. Way less wheel spin than the PS4.

Even if the PS4 can be had for £86, I'd strongly recommend stumping up the extra 4 quid a corner on the F1 SS, it really is worth it!  The F1 SS is a step up from the PS4.

I also got the PS4 for £70ish a corner a few years back when Michelin where heavily pushing for market penetration, but it seems those prices are long gone.

Yeah I remember the old arrow head pattern of the GSD2 and 3.  Imagine that wet performance plus 50% :happy2:    The SuperSports have a decent pattern and are chunkier on the rims than the Pilot Sports, so fill the arches out a bit fuller  :happy2:

I'm not especially biased when it comes to tyres but this year, I fancied a change from Michelin, and the Goodyears are very competitive  :happy2:

In other areas, the SS is way less tram liney than PS4 and has waaaaay stiffer side walls, so the cornering in the wet & dry is considerably more sure footed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:37:37 am by Pudding »

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 06:52:23 am »
Thanks for the write up, will also get some when the time comes I think.

Funny you mention that about stiffer sidewalls...I had Eagle F1s before and switched to PS4 and whilst the wet weather performance improved drastically, the steering feel was nowhere near as good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 02:09:06 pm »
I have Eagle F1 Asymmetrics on my gti and had the same on my 968 which was my daily driver and I could not fault them. I also think the wheel protector on them saved my alloy wheels more than once.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 02:54:14 pm »
I’m intrigued. My favourite tyre of all time on the Golf was the PS2. The PSS was even better in the dry but not as good in the wet. The PS3 was rubbish by comparison. The F1 Asymmetrics were grippy but I felt they were a bit soft and gave less sharp feedback. The PS4 tyres were good as I remember the PS2. So I am absolutely interested in a tyre better than the PS4.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:37:13 pm »
I’m intrigued. My favourite tyre of all time on the Golf was the PS2. The PSS was even better in the dry but not as good in the wet. The PS3 was rubbish by comparison. The F1 Asymmetrics were grippy but I felt they were a bit soft and gave less sharp feedback. The PS4 tyres were good as I remember the PS2. So I am absolutely interested in a tyre better than the PS4.

Exactly my experience with those tyres also.  My old MK4 R32 had factory fitted PS2s and fitting anything else ruined the car.  Well, 'ruined' is probably a bit strong but you know what I mean  :grin:  I think the tyres the factory fitted have a bigger impact on feel and handling than a lot of people realise, simply because the chassis was tuned with that particular tyre in mind.

I would say the F1 SuperSport is very much similar to how Golfs felt on the PS2, but actually far grippier objectively, and subjectively speaking.

When my SSs wear out, I will import some PS4S for comparison.....although most tyre reviews a hard to separate them, except in the wet, where the SS out performs the 4S.

Offline Bagus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:37 am »
I ordered a set of primacy 4’s and after various discount codes and michelin cash backs i ended up paying £270.

Although, i ended up getting PS4’s fitted as thats what the shop received and they didnt notice when fitting and i only noticed when i got home.

So far thr PS4’s seem pretty good. Better than the General GT’s that were on previously.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 02:01:22 pm »

eh up fella, you still got the old girl? The PS4S is good on my S4 avant but might give the GY a go on the front axle as the old P Zero that came on the car will be dad at some point this year.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 09:17:33 pm »
I've been running the Supersports for a while now, I went with the extra load tyre for the stiffer sidewalls. The car was running PS4 before and I agree that the Supersports are a better tyre in every way. I think I'll probably get around 5k miles out of the front tyres, I do very few motorway miles so not bad considering thats 5k miles of accelerating and braking fairly hard. They may stretch out a little further now that R-Tech reined the power in a bit and sorted my throttle mapping but I'm happy with 5k miles.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 09:31:14 pm »
eh up fella, you still got the old girl? The PS4S is good on my S4 avant but might give the GY a go on the front axle as the old P Zero that came on the car will be dad at some point this year.
Yup. 125k miles over 12 years of ownership. I test drove the MK7 GTI a couple of years ago (before the facelift) and just didn’t enjoy it as much as the ED30, and I don’t know what else to replace it with.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 08:38:43 pm »
The old F1 GSD2 & 3 were always a good wet weather tyre, shame the new tyres don't have that old funky tread pattern!

I swear by Goodyears.

I have been modifying cars for 20 years and lots of people ignore a good set of tyres.

I had a 93 impreza WRX back in the 90's.  The guy before me had fitted Toyo Proxy P1's and they were complete and utter gash, even though very recommended by scoobynet and pistonheads pros.

I got the car remapped and after when i gave it the beans around the corners it would 4 wheel drift like i was a member of the plastic dancing on ice crew you see on BBC 1 of a sat evening.

I replaced them with Goodyear GSD3's all round and it made all the difference.

A corner i would take at 60mph on the toyo's became 80mph with the Goodyears with confidence.

No matter how much you spend on your engine and drive train, if you cop out on tyres you might as well throw all the money you have spent on your engine down the drain.

Fitting your car with poor tyres is like running a marathon in flip flops!
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=efg0su4gbafn6dldvh0tm026i3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 04:13:12 pm »
As Michelin (still) plum refuse to sell us the PS4S in 18", and as they've also stuck a Brexit tax on the PS4, I thought I'd give the F1 SuperSport a whirl.

It's a direct competitor to the PS4S.  Goodyear are really laying the smack down at Michelin's feet currently.  As well as the SuperSport, they also do a SuperSport R, which is a Pilot Sport Cup 2 equivalent.  Goodstuff.

I'd rather give an American tyre company my money, rather than the bloody French who are quick to penalise us Brits for Brexit, and who also think we are not worthy of selling an 18" PS4S to.....f'ck em'.

Anyway, the F1 SuperSport.....what can I say.  It absolutely destroys the PS4 in every way.  I can't compare to PS4 S for the reasons above, but TyreReviews put the F1 SuperSport very close to the PS4S, and it even beats it by quite a margin in the wet handling tests.

And the best bit about it.....the F1 SS is currently cheaper than a PS4!  Thanks Brexit  :happy2:

@Pudding

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p201566/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4S_PS4S_-_225_40_R18_%2892Y%29_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=efg0su4gbafn6dldvh0tm026i3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 08:48:05 am »

@Pudding

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p201566/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4S_PS4S_-_225_40_R18_%2892Y%29_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

And now they are not listed!