Make a donation

Author Topic: control arm bushes  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Notch000

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
control arm bushes
« on: January 21, 2021, 02:12:52 pm »
Garage recommended we do the front lower rear bushes, its it better to buy the whole arms or just the bushes on there own ?

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: control arm bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 06:08:14 pm »
Personally and having done this job myself, I would say get quality bushes and keep your OEM arms. Also, the 3x console bolts can often be difficult to remove (A stretch bolt binding in the alloy subframe is not nice). You can get a console bush puller on eBay for less than £30. May as well do front bushes at the same time (they can be difficult to get out and in). I've got PSB bushes for the front and genuine Audi TT for the rear console bushes.

Good luck

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:20:59 pm »
As above, get these pressed into your existing consoles - https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/tt-uprated-wishbone-console-bushes-for-golf-mk5-platform.html

You can obviously fit uprated consoles from the likes of SuperPro and Whiteline and whilst these do tighten up the cornering feel quite significantly, polyurethane does have it's drawbacks on a road car.  If you value refinement and predictable road holding, use those bushes above  :happy2:

The front wishbone bushes don't wear out, so they're not essential.  But if you fancy refreshing the old rubber, it won't hurt to replace those also.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 08:42:08 am »
When I first got my car it failed on the MOT on near side front wishbone bush. I wondered why the car would need constant correction in a straight line. Even more noticeable when accelerating and decelerating. The MOT guy showed me how my wheel could move forwards and backwards within the wheel arch... the front wishbone bush was shot.

Handling was transformed when I did fronts (Febi originally but will be fitting new when I fit my Alloy front setup) and TT rear.
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)