Make a donation

Author Topic: Stock exhaust help h  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
Stock exhaust help h
« on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:09 pm »
Hi all, really need some help trying to source an OEM exhaust. Currently have 3inch downpipe with sports cat, 3 inch straight pipe and OEM backbox. I added the sports cat today to help pass mot but also try and reduce noise, however it's as loud as before (ASBO loud). Called into euro car parts and asked if there system brings anything up, they gave the following part number for OEM middle section with silencer;

VW608Q

Does anyone know if this will be the correct one? Reason I ask is I heard that the middle section/backbox were all one piece. Thanks

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Stock exhaust help h
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:27:26 pm »
Hi,
The standard exhaust is one piece from end of downpipe back. They corrode where the pipe joins the central silencer and then where the flat section is as the exhaust passes between the rear arms.
The replacement central silencer is available.
The original system is cut and the replacement centre section has a slip joint on the end. The original system is 63.5mm I think.
Have a look on you tube there is a guy opening up the original system to show you what’s inside.
Are you sure it’s all exhaust noise? What about induction?
What cat did you go for 200cell? And was it ok with emissions

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:06 pm »
Can’t help with the e c p part but here’s the number for the genuine replacement centre section which they should be able to cross reference 1K0 253 209BP

Hope this helps 👍

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:21:29 pm »
Hi,
The standard exhaust is one piece from end of downpipe back. They corrode where the pipe joins the central silencer and then where the flat section is as the exhaust passes between the rear arms.
The replacement central silencer is available.
The original system is cut and the replacement centre section has a slip joint on the end. The original system is 63.5mm I think.
Have a look on you tube there is a guy opening up the original system to show you what’s inside.
Are you sure it’s all exhaust noise? What about induction?
What cat did you go for 200cell? And was it ok with emissions

Hi thanks for your help. It does have a ramair induction kit on it but I'm pretty sure it's just the exhaust. Yes it was a 200 cell magnaflow cat, not took it for the mot yet so not sure on emissions.

I know I will be ok joining to the backbox as it's original but I'm worrying about connecting to the downpipe, obviously I will need a 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducer but will any do? Don't want to mess the length up.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:33 pm »
Can’t help with the e c p part but here’s the number for the genuine replacement centre section which they should be able to cross reference 1K0 253 209BP

Hope this helps 👍

The part number on the diagram they gave me is 1K0 253 209AQ

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:12:13 pm by GVK »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:08:07 pm »
Here is the diagram they showed me

https://ibb.co/Y2WPsTX

Only thing is the downpipe I have doesn't look as long as the stock one in the diagram, unless it's just not to scale. The downpipe I have seems to have a much shorter horizontal section.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:13:32 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:16:20 pm »
Just a poor diagram I expect.

If you search for VW608Q it brings up pattern part exhaust on ebay etc.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 09:35:58 pm »
Just a poor diagram I expect.

If you search for VW608Q it brings up pattern part exhaust on ebay etc.

Thanks, here are some pics of my exhaust (before the sports cat was welded in).

https://ibb.co/f943xxV
https://ibb.co/tDC8FzZ
https://ibb.co/8xqVBCp

Does the middle section (with silencer) go in after the clamp in the second pic, towards the rear?

Edit : Just seen that it does go here.

Do you think this will reduce the loudness by a lot or will most of the noise be coming from the 3 inch downpipe?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:01:30 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 10:06:12 pm »
The second picture shows the downpipe reducing in size 👍

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 10:12:29 pm »
The second picture shows the downpipe reducing in size 👍

Yes so an OEM centre silencer should slot straight onto here correct? Sorry I know I sound thick lol just want to be 100% sure after the trouble I've had so far!

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 10:39:08 pm »
In theory yes, although the standard downpipe/centre joint normally has the tubes both the same size which just butt together then a longer double clamp or sleeve goes over both.

It should also be a simple job for one of the custom exhaust shops to add a silencer, not sure how much though.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 08:36:08 am »
In theory yes, although the standard downpipe/centre joint normally has the tubes both the same size which just butt together then a longer double clamp or sleeve goes over both.

It should also be a simple job for one of the custom exhaust shops to add a silencer, not sure how much though.

Thanks again. So I may end up short with the pipes having to overlap? Is there any easy solution to this?

I take it when you say exhaust shop to add silencer you mean to weld one in to the downpipe/middle section? I did think of this but trying to keep costs to a minimum and I can get the original middle silencer for about £65. Just really want to bring the noise level down as it's mega loud. Hoping a middle silencer will do this otherwise will mean changing the downpipe which I've just spent £200 getting a cat put on it. What a hassle lol.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:57 pm »
I’d get the car to the mot station and see if it passes with the cat you’ve put on before spending more money adding a silencer.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 01:45:30 pm »
I’d get the car to the mot station and see if it passes with the cat you’ve put on before spending more money adding a silencer.

Hi, i want to reduce the noise regardless though as it's just too loud. Just want to be sure what I'm doing will definitely reduce the noise as i was told by a few people that adding a sports cat would but it hasn't made any difference.