All Things Mk5 > Members Rides

Ed30 1465 OEM Restoration

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave J:
Welcome!

Look forward to the pics & work on your project.

My ED30 came with Linglongs on the front when I bought it from Cardiff VW. The very next day it got decent tyres!

Ed30Skucey:
Sorry for the delay in posting! Work has been busy recently and this thread slipped my notice. Anyway here is a few pictures of the car.

This is the changing of the guard so to speak, my previous Golf was a 2.0 GT FSI I was it's second owner from new. It never left me stranded during its many years of faithful service. However cam chain rattles were creeping in and I fancied something much quicker. The Ed30 came via a chap who bought it from Northern Ireland. Its now entirely stock but was nearly stock when I bought it.

(hopefully image has worked).

Ed30Skucey:
Unforetunately all was not well once I examined the car underneath on our lifter. Thinking back now I probably should have waited a bit longer for a better one to come along but 3k into it's restoration it's a bit late to say that. It looked like the underneath of the car had been parked in salt water, there was a lot of rust, much more than my previous Golf despite it being 3 years younger.

Being on furlough gave me the opportunity to give this car another life. I work in restoring classic cars and had free use of the workshop, so maximum use of the two post lift was in order! I tackled the rear suspension first as there were many perished bushes and much rusty metal. Some parts were very stubborn to come out so things got drastic.

I completely dismantled the rear subframe and throughly treated it with POR15 and it came up surprisingly well.

Ed30Skucey:
Here are a few more photos showing the rear caliper having been restored along with new brake lines, back plates and rubber components.

Also took the opportunity to overhaul the front suspension and brakes at the same time.

All in all the work took 6 months on and off when I had the time. Aside from a front N/S knock (which I have a seperate thread on) the car now drives and handles superbly. A set of new PS4 tyres are now fitted too and what a transformation! I used to have Lassas at the front and 9 year old Landsails at the rear and it used to snap oversteer in the wet.

fakie1977:
Good to see another Eddie being put back to its former glory. Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version