Make a donation

Author Topic: New member, New car, New problems  (Read 1316 times)

Offline JackoGT

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New member, New car, New problems
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:24:22 pm »
Hi new member here!

I purchased my MK5 GTi a few months ago - 60k on the clock with full VW service history, and I love it!

After a couple months of driving, I am starting to notice a few niggles. I believe the car may have been sat for a while which would explain the low mileage. I hope you guys can help me (I’m not mechanically savvy) diagnose these issues.

I will try to cover as many points as I can here, I am using my phone so I’ll just list them in no particular order.

-Cold start; the car kind of splutters into life, it can offen take a couple seconds to start but always does with the key held in position. It doesn’t quite sound like a normal starter motor sound either, I would describe it as more mechanical and almost “clattering”

*edit* After a long drive, particularly motorway with no clutch usage, when it comes to needing to, the clutch pedal can feel pretty stiff, almost as if pressure has built up.

-Rough idle; I say rough but really it’s more like tiny shudders, usually when warm and you can physically see it on both the rev gage and when inspecting the engine.

- Inconsistent power; when it’s good it’s good! Boost from low down in the rev range, just how it’s supposed to be! However there are occasions where I put my foot down and it almost feels like the turbo isn’t spooling, when this happens and if I persevere with the loud pedal, around 3500 and sometimes as late as 4000 there’s a sudden surge of power and I can physically feel the turbo kick in.

I have removed the oil filler cap while the engines running to test for vacuum and can feel suction but it’s possible to remove, the car splutters and acts like it wants to stall.

I have also gone through 0.5 litres of oil in 5k miles

MPG sits below 25mpg even on sensible drives, long motorway journeys don’t even break the 30mpg mark. It can also smell pretty rich, particularly on start up and there is visible exhaust smoke until she’s warmed up. I figured this was just normal on a car that produces more power than I’m used to but could be useful information. I always put the premium fuel in btw.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:07:47 pm by JackoGT »

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=thqu7lai35tdq27vt9bd89vfru&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: New member, New car, New problems
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:06:49 pm »
0.5L of oil in 5,000miles is perfectly within tolerance.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:59 pm »
The running issues sound like injectors, on here we have had good results from Luqui Moly injector cleaner, worth running a couple of cans through it for £15. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-Injection-Cleaner-300ml/dp/B0096Y6OII/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=multipack+liqui+moly+injector+cleaner&qid=1610999074&sr=8-12
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:31:30 pm by GVK »

Offline JackoGT

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 06:52:28 pm »
Thank’s I’ll definitely try that and see how I get on.

I have been reading a lot about DV and PCV valves, some of the symptoms seem to be similar. Is there any sure fire way to know?

I’ll probably have them done for piece of mind at some point but if you don’t think these are related to my problems I’ll leave it for now.

I have a pair of wheels waiting to go on the car and I’m looking at some new springs/coilovers. Just trying to make sure everything is as it should be before I start with anything else.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:00:48 pm by JackoGT »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:54 pm »
0.5 litre consumption over 5000 miles is way better than most. Consider yourself lucky  :smiley:  A lot of transverse Audis with the same engine, and even the earlier EA888s suffer from horrendous consumption.  More like 0.5 litre over 500 miles!  Shoddy pistons is the cause. Thankfully the GTI doesn't have said crappy pistons, but having said that, the BYD in the ED30 does have better pistons and rods than the AXX/BWA.

As above RE: the liquiMoly, I've been running it for the past 2000 miles and it's never run better.  All of the symptoms you describe disappeared.  If the the symptoms persist, there could be a mechanical issue or possibly a worn out MAF.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Calliemk5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 04:51:20 pm »
Would suggest checking your thermostat for the bad mpg. If your car isn’t getting to temp (90 deg)within 5-10 mins, it could be stuck open, and burning too much juice

Offline JackoGT

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 08:05:29 pm »
Great stuff thank you pudding, always nice to get a bit of piece of mind after buying a new car, especially when I’m so attached to it already! :laugh:

I popped a can of the liqui molly in accompanied by a full tank and took it for a long spirited drive! Will see how I get one once the tank is empty!

Thank you Callie that’s something I had never even thought about, as far as I can tell she warms up quick enough.

I am really hoping I’ve got a good’un here!

I’m currently avoiding the checkout button on awesome gti and it’s taking ALL of my willpower! Does anybody on here have experience with the “st sport” spring & damper kit at -30mm?