Make a donation

Author Topic: Very budget track build  (Read 53586 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Very budget track build
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2022, 03:07:59 pm »
Looking nice and should be good to go for a fair few miles now.

I’m surprised that you’ve got more negative camber at the front than the rear… but they are front wheel drive I suppose…

I can imagine that “cheap” bill still hit the wallet hard! But it’s good to know that ittl be put to good use on track. I hope to see some videos of your runs!

Front bias is preferable on these, the rear tends to be super grippy compared to the front. You don't often see the back coming out on these like on light weight hatches like clios and civics. The weight has something to do with that I imagine.

No wasn't cheap at all but less painful than imagined :grin:
The camber setup seems good. With road tyres 34 psi is preferable. I use 32 psi with my AD08R. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2022, 05:52:19 pm »
Loving the MK1s in that Retro Resus pic  :happy2:

I just run the tyre pressure on the petrol flap, which is 36psi I think.

1400kg, blimey, didn't know they were that chubby.  Is yours DSG?  I'm sure I read in the owners manual that the kerb weight is around 1340kg, but that's for the manual gearbo though.  I think DSG adds around 25Kg iirc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2022, 07:55:38 pm »
Yeah I think il experiment with 30-34psi hot pressures and see what works. I stuck to 35 psi hot on standard good year asym 5's which worked best, any lower they would get too hot and struggle. Ns2r's have a much stiffer sidewall and shouldn't overheat like a daily driver road tyre so should be able to run lower pressures with success theoretically.

No mine is manual but does have a sunroof which I imagine is about 20kg, heated seats could be extra weight as well I'm not sure, but with lighter suspension bits, no radio, no fog lights, no spare wheel or tool kit. Yeah I hope that was with the ballast included, got a week off soon-ish so will try and venture out and get it on a weigh bridge, as I am curious!

As lots of owners I've got a duct from the fog light/fog light area pointing to the intake filter. Had this in for a while now just because I had the ducting lying around doing nothing so thought may as well but I've always thought surely it does sweet naff all.

But today I decided to stick a hair dryer towards the duct at various angles and distances and fairplay the airflow does get up to the filter quite efficiently! Surprised the duct I've had installed for months actually works :grin:

Also mounted a fire safety stick and radio blank, yes before you ask it is 100% not straight, that's what happens when you just drill holes without marking up prior  :grin:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2022, 09:31:27 pm »
Very ghetto arch rolling attempt. Rust jack handle + hair dryer + touch up pen = surprisingly successful

Finally had its first track session in over a year at Llandow

Car performed flawlessly, I was 2nd to arrive and last on track and last to leave so gave it really good abuse. The balance of the car is sooo much better than before, just coming off throttle mid corner slightly provokes the rear to rotate nicely. What I did not expect was how much more fuel efficient the car was compared to last time, the number of consumables and work I've done on the engine I guess has probably fixed some old car fuel inefficiencies which was nice!

Map 4 (260bhp) was just so much wheel spin it wasn't that enjoyable to drive, Map 2 (~220bhp) was on the limit of wheel spin without issues and Map 3 (~240bhp) was a good compromise between the two which I stuck with. I think a quaiffe is needed now!
-
- Brakes performed great, my temp stickers indicated they got to between 188 and 210 degrees Celsius. Only noticed after leaving for the day that the pedal felt quite long, it is running motul rbf 660 so was surprised by that but maybe we are on the limit of the stock brakes, I could still trigger abs but only on the slow chicanes with these tyres. Being as Combe is next and a heavy braking circuit I may put some ducting in that will point to the caliper, not a great solution but the discs are cheap, I have spare race pads already waiting and if it stops brake fade going into quarry then I'm all for it.  I will say though the rp-1 pads felt really awesome when they were warmed up, the pedal feel was really great, will have to check how they've worn soon but impressed so far.

The stock brakes get a terrible bashing sometimes, but I've found they're not great but you won't fly off the circuit like some will have you believe if you're running a good race pad and fluid, especially so if you're just running normal daily driver road tyres.

Pressures wise I aimed for 34 but ended up on about 33 on front and 32 on rear just because conditions changed and hot pressures dropped later on and couldn't be bothered adding more air in and bringing back down. Think this was a little low as I've got a decent amount of pick-up in the centre of the tyre left on rears which could indicate it was bulging inwards from too low a pressure. Man maths is telling me 35-33 psi is the target for these tyres on current weight.

The fronts could also be a little low on 33 as we still rolled over onto the sidewall

Overall though awesome result, it was quick and a couple people mentioned they were surprised at the pace this was lapping all day. Combe next on 8th July  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2022, 01:13:32 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2022, 01:58:27 pm »
 Nice :happy2: Enjoy👍🏻

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2022, 04:33:55 pm »
Glad you have lots of fun on track.  :smiley: The LSD will help quite a bit getting out of corners and it's a bit less expensive on a manual gearbox. You'll like it. :driver:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2022, 08:02:47 pm »
Golf's been a bit of a bugger lately.

The whiteline drop links nuts seemingly keep undoing themselves.. stuck some washers on them and some blue loctite and hope that's the end of it now frankly!

Also it's been cutting out which is very annoying, seemingly a bad throttle body, I've stuck a newer revision and younger one from a BWA TT and hope that's sorted now, seems to be so far anyway. Gave it a good clean while I had it off anyway so not sure if that smoothens anything out or not on these. Lots of people mention this is a bugger of a job, if you have small hands like me it's actually quite simple to be fair with a flexible quarter inch ratchet.

Brakes have been Buggers too. Bled the brake as the pedal was super long after Llandow and the temps we got up to are a lot to take for the caliper seals and fluid which has concerned me. Still felt spongy after bleeding so bled again, still spongy. Ive seemingly got some minor brake pad glazing which I was surprised at for these pads, I assumed they could take far more abuse than I could possibly give them

So currently de-glazing them with some 80 grit paper and also the discs while I'm there just in case. Will go and bed them in again at a stupid time of the morning soon and hopefully that's them sorted then!

Decided I need to install some ducting, it's not a great solution as we are pointed to the caliper rather than through the disc veins but it needs to be done I think to get this current brake setup to work semi efficiently for the rest of the year until I can upgrade. Thinking of the megane caliper setup... cheaper than db9/ttrs ones but with all the same advantages it seems and also while being brand new Calipers which works out at around 300 quid more than the golf r setup but would be using 2nd hand Calipers so seems very good value.

What I have noticed though is looking at the caliper bracket from behind and also looking at other aftermarket caliper brackets is I think there may be room to install a proper race worthy brake ducting setup with some welding skills.

Here is the room I mention between the bracket and the hub

And here is roughly what I would think is possibly, and extra piece or metal over that gap that could have a semi circle shaped duct inlet of around a 1.5 inch ducting diameter that would go straight to the centre of the discs and into the veins .

Something to think about and ponder in the future anyway.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2022, 10:46:07 am »
Did you put the red paint blobs on the throttle screws?  :grin:  Hope that fixes your issue  :happy2:  I looked up the part number and it's still relevant. I guess VW changed it yet again in 2019 at some point.

You're lucky you managed to swap it out in situ. I had to remove the fan pack in order to get at it!

What pads are they? They've taken a bit of a beating!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2022, 11:43:55 am »
Did you put the red paint blobs on the throttle screws?  :grin:  Hope that fixes your issue  :happy2:  I looked up the part number and it's still relevant. I guess VW changed it yet again in 2019 at some point.

You're lucky you managed to swap it out in situ. I had to remove the fan pack in order to get at it!

What pads are they? They've taken a bit of a beating!

Haha no I have no idea what it's there for either! Wasn't sure if it was red loctite or something!
Oh nice thanks for checking that.

Ebc rp-1, so a race pad and would have thought they'd cope really... the other side was even worse as well. I've sanded them down and re Bedded them now but still not 100%, think I'm just going to take the risk at Combe next week and if they're junk then it's a lesson learnt for next time. They're not dangerous in anyway just missing that initial sharp bite and possibly less grabby at full braking force than I remember... maybe a heat cycle on track is what they need though who knows!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2022, 12:29:44 pm »
I reckon the ebay seller did that in case you returned it as faulty  :grin:  I guess he's had people in the past taking the cover off and tinkering with it!

Yeah just wear them out and choose something else next time if they don't work out for you.  Race pads are expensive though, so you might end up going through a few sets to find one you like.....although sounds like you'll be going with those Megane was it? calipers possibly  :happy2:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2022, 05:35:36 pm »
I reckon the ebay seller did that in case you returned it as faulty  :grin:  I guess he's had people in the past taking the cover off and tinkering with it!

Yeah just wear them out and choose something else next time if they don't work out for you.  Race pads are expensive though, so you might end up going through a few sets to find one you like.....although sounds like you'll be going with those Megane was it? calipers possibly  :happy2:

Ah that makes perfect sense now actually...

I just sanded down the discs this afternoon (again!) And stuck the spare race pads on as after checking them they were possibly even more glazed than before. I think il sand the living s*** out of these until there is no chance the glazed material is still there and keep them as a spare set just incase but not overly impressed with the unreliability of a pad that is meant to take way hotter temps!

Yeah megane calipers look like a good option to me, saying that if a set of good condition golf r calipers come out for a very good price I may save the £. We will see!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:40:15 pm by Clarkj93 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2022, 03:45:24 pm »
They MK7 setup is pretty good actually.  I need to get off my arse and do an ebay/classifieds session as I've got a set sat in a cupboard  :grin:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2022, 05:19:13 am »
They MK7 setup is pretty good actually.  I need to get off my arse and do an ebay/classifieds session as I've got a set sat in a cupboard  :grin:

That's interesting! I'd possibly be a buyer... If I don't end up with a kit I've been spying on over the last few days that is!

How come you took them off by the way? Went back to std gti setup didn't you?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2022, 05:37:34 am »
Not the most successful day at Combe yesterday. The brakes really let me down. I'd swapped for ebc rpx pads recently which felt super super aggressive, huge difference over other pads, flushed the fluid again for rbf 660, installed ducting but still managed to get to concerning temps for the caliper on the first session and then boiled the fluid again. After this I switched to low boost which is maybe 200bhp tops maybe a little less, basically pretty slow. I then had no confidence in the brakes so couldn't go 100% like I would normally and had to keep the sessions short so never really built up a really good set of laps when I was out. But yeah heavy car + low on power + no brakes = pretty slow and off the pace most of the day, which is annoying as the car is surprisingly quick in the turns for its weight because its got a lovely setup but it didn't really show all day.

Pembrey is next month, hoping for a more enjoyable day, nothing broke though and it was 26 degrees so a hot one to cope with so can't whinge too much :grin:

Slight curve ball though is a pretty cool BBK may be landing into my lap fairly soon so watch out :happy2: