Make a donation

Author Topic: Very budget track build  (Read 52028 times)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Very budget track build
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2021, 01:36:03 pm »

Don't notice it at speed but turns out the kerb at church is actually just a cheese grater which explain the tyres I think!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 01:47:29 pm »
So taken the strong decision this week and decided to sell the golf! Its much more financially acceptable frankly to get a caged track car than it is to turn mine into one so decided to sell on and will be looking for something over the next couple months that suits me.

If anyones interested let me know, some brief details are:
Just over 100k
Fsh
One side skirt is black and one is red so may need painting if it bugs you
2 brand new good year eagle f1 tyres to be fitted in the next week
New brembo discs with black diamond pads front and back in the last 1000 odd miles
Cam follower and pcv and pcv hoses changed in the last 1000ish miles
Major service done by me in October about 2000 miles ago
Oil change and filter (5w40) done less than 1000 miles ago in March
Exterior is decent but has typical age related marks, and mis matched side skirt interior is very good
Will be sticking radio, fog grilles etc back on
Audi tt wishbones and ball joints for adjustable camber
Ecs magnetic oil plug

Got the following spares to go with:
Front Audi tt alloy hubs
2/3 spare oil filters
Haynes manual
Fog grille(s)
Copper oil washers for oil plug
And probably some other little nic naks lying around in the garage that I've forgotten

Just spending the weekend/week getting it ready so should be up for sale next sunday/Monday I imagine.

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 02:28:31 pm »
Well done, e36 time ;)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 02:37:40 pm »
Well done, e36 time ;)

Haha! Seen a couple come up but a lot of rust boxes about!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2021, 04:34:29 pm »
Well selling it went well.... not! Had it up for all of aboutb10 minutes and with a bunch of dodgy daves calling me the second it was live it made me realise I was gutted to be parting with and really didn't want the faff of selling it so took the ad down  :stupid:

Annoyingly put some new standard good year road tyres on to sell but now stuck with them. Not sure when the next track day will be yet... got a few jobs to do and we will go from there.

Currently in the middle of measuring up and making some brake ducts... got a few trinkets arriving soon that I can test fit. If people are interested I may do a d.i.y thread for the ducts as I notice there isn't much info at all out there for the mk5 and brake ducts.

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,124095.0.html
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2021, 08:55:53 am »
Glad to see that you’re keeping it buddy.

I may be interested in brake ducts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY 3 DOOR 370BHP MANUAL GTI TRACK BUILD - WAVETRACK DIFF, CAGED, POLYCARBS, KO4, DB9 BRAKES, METH, BARTEK, VIS, HELIX PADDLE CLUTCH/SMF, FLOCKED DASH, 18X9 PRO RACE

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,124095.0.html

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2021, 09:20:58 am »
Cool, yeah got to do something to sort these brakes out until I can get a bbk like you have :jumping:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2021, 11:52:27 am »
Very keen and seeing your ducts, I keep thinking about making some.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2021, 09:22:58 pm »
Seems most of the bits I've ordered have been delayed frustratingly so Still not been able to sort the ducting.

Having a quick poke around, hoping to keep the dust shield and place the duct here via riveted air outlet to get the air through the veins of the discs rather than just hitting it. We will see! May end up scrapping the shield if it doesn't not work round and simply aiming the duct at the centre of the discs via some cable ties. As you can see it's like a sea of rust behind there right now.

Got some Audi TT hubs recently for the weight saving and the higher roll centre it adds, slightly regretting it now however as I've realised I need the steering rack, drive shafts, steering arms and code out the rack.... seems a lot of work so may leave it for now.

Got some new RP-X and RP-1 pads delivered. Awesome Gti doing a deal where you get one set for free for buying the other. Essentially 350 quids worth of pads for half the price. Think it runs until the end of the month, seems like an awesome deal to be fair so jumped on it. Heard good things about these so far so looking forward to check them out, quite an aggressive bedding in process as well, will probably require doing it on track or a 6am country road job!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2021, 04:37:59 pm »
So been experimenting with the ducts today. Clearance is more of an issue than I thought, I cannot seem to find an area where I can get a 51mm pointed at the centre of the discs to enter the veins and keep the bearings cool. May be able to do it if you ditch the dust shield but all the screws on mine are rounded and cba to deal with them today so thought I'd give this a go for now, its not the ideal location but it's still got to be a benefit over stock anyway. I'd like to check the temperatures at next track day with the ducting open and when it's covered up to see how much difference it makes.

I've just added a few cable ties to keep it semi stiff and lots of tape to protect it from rubbing against other components.

I've just noticed aswell there is some very minor rubbing on the tyre where it enters into the front bumper area which is a bit annoying so I will try to drill another hole further back in the hope there is more clearance. It was only at full lock to be honest but just in case il give it another go soon.

For the inlet section I've not decided whether to go front fog delete and cut into the bumper slightly to mount it or just have it hanging behind the open fog grille area with some cable ties, this way I can keep fog lights and have a sort of grille to stop big chunks of crap getting in but it's not as stable then obviously.

This is just a little update for now, once I'm happy with the setup and it's survived a couple of road miles i will do a proper write up!

Any suggestions so far then I am all ears! :popcornsoda:

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2021, 08:15:46 pm »
I did something similar with regards to the brake ducts, but I think since the photobucket episode, the photos are not longer available in the dedicated thread.
Here are a few thoughts:
- If you have the RLine grills - it is far easier to install the brake ducts - I also cover them in winter for example.
- You can have a mounting point above the suspension arm
- I also used the dust shield to install the other end, but I covered a part of the tube to direct the air towards the vanes and not the disc side.

Here are a few photos (I think I will update the brake dusts thread when I have some spare time):

Hope this helps!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 09:41:54 pm »
Thanks @rex , I was reading that thread but very hard to understand your thinking without the images! This helps a great deal.

I've since read this article: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog/do-i-need-brake-ducts-on-my-track-car

Which has made me realise its not that pointing it to the inner face is not ideal its likely causing disc issues down the line.

I've since removed this duct as I've been re thinking what to do, your implementation is interesting. Part of me has also been tempted to do this solution, not sure how effective it is thoigh as its not really brake ducting it's more increased air flow via a duct pointed to the hub area and removing the dust shield.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2021, 01:27:08 pm »
Part of me has also been tempted to do this solution, not sure how effective it is though as its not really brake ducting it's more increased air flow via a duct pointed to the hub area and removing the dust shield.
Not really... It is providing air to where the disc actually needs it.
With this setup the brakes were performing great (absolutely no fade), even when really abused. Please keep in mind I have a 160hp car and the nqsbbk (Porsche Calipers) with RS29 pads.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:29:33 pm by rex »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2021, 01:42:55 pm »
Part of me has also been tempted to do this solution, not sure how effective it is though as its not really brake ducting it's more increased air flow via a duct pointed to the hub area and removing the dust shield.
Not really... It is providing air to where the disc actually needs it.
With this setup the brakes were performing great (absolutely no fade), even when really abused. Please keep in mind I have a 160hp car and the nqsbbk (Porsche Calipers) with RS29 pads.

I meant the picture I posted above rex, I've no doubt of your solution!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2021, 09:11:52 pm »
@Clarkj93 I added the missing photos to the break ducts thread - it should be easier to go through.
As a conclusion, no matter which way you go, the more air you get in the wheel arc the better...
Here is how Porsche is cooling the brakes on my GT4 (the air is coming from the radiators):

Best of luck!