Make a donation

Author Topic: Very budget track build  (Read 53420 times)

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
Re: Very budget track build
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2022, 08:27:58 pm »
Nice work :happy2:
And the Mrs Audi looks WAW :happy2:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2022, 08:21:19 pm »
5.30am hard brake bedding in job on the RP-1 pads this morning. Looking forward to seeing them on track, EBC mention these pads have superior ability to "modulate", they feel as if they do almost nothing on low pressure but work as you'd expect on medium and high pressure. Maybe that is the modulation they mention which may make trail braking possibly easier? We will have to wait and see. It could just be they need more heat in them than I was able to do once the traffic picked up!

Car got its bi-annual clean today also :grin: have not seen it cleaned since Autumn... whoops  :doh:

At £1.68 a litre currently for Tesco 99 I am greatly looking forward to the fuel bill at each track outing this year :scared: someone please tells me it's going to drop sometime soon!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2022, 12:49:30 pm »
That's looking mean as with the front end dropped down like that  :happy2:  Yeah you don't want grabby brakes on track, maybe that's what EBC mean by easy modulation.

Mine only gets a bi-annual clean as well  :grin:  It's been like this since September  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2022, 03:29:19 pm »
That's looking mean as with the front end dropped down like that  :happy2:  Yeah you don't want grabby brakes on track, maybe that's what EBC mean by easy modulation.

Mine only gets a bi-annual clean as well  :grin:  It's been like this since September  :grin:

Wow that is hero dirty :grin:! Good way to hide some stonechips and scratches!

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2022, 05:13:13 pm »
Now that’s driving  :happy2  :grin:
You’ll have more satisfaction when you cleaned it thoroughly :jumpmove:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2022, 06:48:40 pm »
Exactly, a great way to hide paint defects  :grin:

Yeah it sure gets driven, hard!

Some of that dirt is the dust from the Sahara but mostly just road dirt from neglect  :grin:  I'm more interested in how it drives than how clean it is but yeah, eventually blasting all that crud off will be satisfying  :smiley:

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »
Maybe not in the next couple of weeks…😇 it’s crappy weather!!!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2022, 10:51:07 pm »
Nothing too exciting going on...

Changed from ECP's finest plugs to the recommended NGK ones. Nice little throttle response improvement too.

Brake fluid change so we are back on the race stuff. Motul RBF 660, the best value race fluid out there in my opinion.

Ended up selling my VP racing fuel jugs to a local lad with a very nice stage 2+ ED35 after my local fuel station with 99 told me to get lost with those unapproved plastic race ones, so old fashioned jerry cans it is then!

Seems like yet another injector has died lately, even after R Tech cleaned them a few months ago... my luck!

Got bored today so made a radio blank, which I will eventually use to mount a fire safety stick ,(not msa approved but looks like a great fire safety solution) and the ESP button when the centre console ends up coming out. It could probably do with being painted black as well.

My GTI is late enough that stability control is never fully disengaged. So I was able to alter it the other day on the OBDEleven app and alter it so one second hold is TCS off and 5 seconds hold is everything off. No more scary ESP moments from now on then!

Next she is off to Retro Resus for a couple of weeks for various jobs and corner weighting.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2022, 12:18:52 pm »
Yeah those plugs are good  :happy2:

Interesting about the ESP and OBD11.  Not seen anything in VCDS that can do that.....not that I know where to look  :grin:  To be fair, ESP has saved my arse a few times on some snow/ice so I leave it on  :grin:

Our VW chum Humble Mechanic has a good comparison video, but in a nutshell, he reckons you need both to do everything, more so on later cars.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2022, 08:52:22 pm »
Yeah those plugs are good  :happy2:

Interesting about the ESP and OBD11.  Not seen anything in VCDS that can do that.....not that I know where to look  :grin:  To be fair, ESP has saved my arse a few times on some snow/ice so I leave it on  :grin:

Our VW chum Humble Mechanic has a good comparison video, but in a nutshell, he reckons you need both to do everything, more so on later cars.

Found it by accident to be honest! Yeah I did watch that the other day! Would get vcds if I had a laptop to use, work would have me shot by firing squad if I downloaded it on the work laptop :grin:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2022, 09:52:07 pm »
I run my funny VCDS on a old low powered netbook that I bought for £80 maybe 10 years ago - it doesnt need to be special

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2022, 10:59:35 pm »
I run my funny VCDS on a old low powered netbook that I bought for £80 maybe 10 years ago - it doesnt need to be special

Yeah valid point, just always find it hard to justify when you buy even a cheap notebook and then buy vcds, just think of the parts I could have bought with that instead when obdeleven does majority of what I require. Im sure il get it one day when I'm fed up of the compromise!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2022, 05:49:10 pm »
Just got the car back from Retro Resus. Awesome service from them and frankly the end bill was not little but quite a bit cheaper than I thought surprisingly. It was cool to see a ton of the mk5 race and track cars they have on site as well as a few bonkers looking mk2's.

Engine wise they did...
- Rocker cover gasket change
- cambelt and waterpump
- oil sump dropped and cleaned as well as pick up pipe
- injector 2 replaced

Then a few little suspension and brakes bits as well as corner weighting with geo setup.

I could have done a little bit more myself but I've been fed up lately and wanted it just done :grin:

Forgot to get the alignment printout from them but what they told me over the phone was:

Front:
-2.2/-2.3 Degrees neg camber
1mins toe out

Rear:
-1.6/-1.7 degrees neg camber
Zero toe

They did this based on a hot pressure of 30 psi, seems a little low to me,  put It to 34 psi now. Will just have to experiment, let me know what you guys run? :happy2:

They said it weighed in at a touch over 1400kg, not sure if that was with my 70kg weight added in as well though. May get it on a weigh bridge at some point out of curiosity, I've taken roughly 35kg of the oem weight from various upgrades and removal of little things here or there.

Weirdly they said it was almost perfectly corner weighted as it was... I had not even measured it I couldnt be arsed I just stuck it on at a random height and left it :grin:

Had a bit of tyre rub over big bumps when I got back to cardiff. Taking the torx screw from the arch liner out and slightly bending/filing the edge of the arch solved that nice and easily.

Now all ready for Llandow in June and the charity track day at Combe in July :laugh: will probably make it to Thruxton soon as well, one of the most under rated circuits in my opinion, but as its a tyre killer maybe later in the year!

Hopefully it's just a case of maintenance and enjoy for a while now, I'm thinking if everything is reliable and oem clutch still has life in it then winter will be Strip it and put a cage in!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:58:33 pm by Clarkj93 »

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2022, 06:39:46 am »
Looking nice and should be good to go for a fair few miles now.

I’m surprised that you’ve got more negative camber at the front than the rear… but they are front wheel drive I suppose…

I can imagine that “cheap” bill still hit the wallet hard! But it’s good to know that ittl be put to good use on track. I hope to see some videos of your runs!
Getting too old for this...

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2022, 02:18:13 pm »
Looking nice and should be good to go for a fair few miles now.

I’m surprised that you’ve got more negative camber at the front than the rear… but they are front wheel drive I suppose…

I can imagine that “cheap” bill still hit the wallet hard! But it’s good to know that ittl be put to good use on track. I hope to see some videos of your runs!

Front bias is preferable on these, the rear tends to be super grippy compared to the front. You don't often see the back coming out on these like on light weight hatches like clios and civics. The weight has something to do with that I imagine.

No wasn't cheap at all but less painful than imagined :grin: