Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine management light  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
Engine management light
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
Hi all, after a few hundred miles of ownership have my first engine light. The only thing I've noticed is on the last few starts it is very very slightly a little more hesitant to start. The car is a 2008 gti with dsg (Japan import and is remapped). Here are the obdeleven readings;

I cleared the two engine codes and the light seems to have gone off but the steering column faults wouldn't clear. Any help much appreciated.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Engine management light
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
I have the same issue with codes 00576 it relates to ignition switch being faulty. It lives under the steering column this is about a £50 part and DIY.

What map is on the car and when was it last serviced?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:58:22 am »
I have the same issue with codes 00576 it relates to ignition switch being faulty. It lives under the steering column this is about a £50 part and DIY.

What map is on the car and when was it last serviced?

Hi thanks for the reply. Did you akso have problems with starting? The part I've found is this 1K0905865A and seems to be around a tenner?

The map is a custom map by EST performance in Sussex. Was done in November by previous owner. Since the map I have added a sports cat (was decat) and changed the middle straight through pipe to a standard silencer. Some people said I would need the map tweaking due to this but others said I wouldn't. Would add I have driven a couple of hundred miles since exhaust change with no light.

I'm wondering which brought the eml on (the lean code or ignition code). As I say I was able to delete the intermittent lean code but not the ignition codes if that makes any difference.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:14:16 am »
Id personally recommend buying genuine. That part is probably made in china and if it fails could be dangerous.

The other issue could be down to the map. Might be best calling who mapped it and telling them your symtoms. Could be something simple like the car needs a service (probably spark plugs) or because you've added a CAT and its been mapped out.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:21:09 am by GreigC »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:21:47 am »
Id personally recommend buying genuine. That part is probably made in china and if it fails could be dangerous.

The other issue could be down to the map. Might be best calling who mapped it and telling them your symtoms. Could be something simple like the car needs a service (probably plugs)

Cheers, do you know where I could buy genuine other than the dealers? Whenever i type the part number 1K0905865A in Google they are all around a tenner including all the UK based websites. Did your car fail to start with this code?

Oil was changed last week and it's had a full service in the last 3k miles including plugs. Do you think it's a risk to continue driving it to see if the fault (lean) reappears?

I would contact the remap firm but they wanted £250 plus vat just to tweak the map after changing from decat to sports cat which I thought was over the top.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:28:46 am »
https://www.coverdalecarparts.co.uk/

You can live chat these guys or email them the part your after... I used them for my cam follower kit... or you can call any VW dealer near you get price over the phone and pay for it over the phone and collect.

Id call the guys that done the map. Tell them what youve added since it was mapped and would it effect the lamda sensors/can I continue to drive it?

I've not changed my sensor yet... its on the list.

I think the part number is:
1K0 905 849 B

But double check that with the dealer or Coverdale.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:36:28 am by GreigC »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:30:27 pm »
Thanks. Something I just thought of, last week had the middle section exhaust replaced with a standard silencer section (was a straight pipe) and It would fit properly so used an exhaust sleeve. If this has failed slightly (can't hear anything excessive) could this potentially cause the lean error due to leak?

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 12:32:17 pm »
Thanks. Something I just thought of, last week had the middle section exhaust replaced with a standard silencer section (was a straight pipe) and It would fit properly so used an exhaust sleeve. If this has failed slightly (can't hear anything excessive) could this potentially cause the lean error due to leak?
Thats probably exactly why... system needs to be sealed.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 06:25:37 pm »
So checked the exhaust and no sign of any leakage. Have driven for 50 miles since clearing the codes and the eml hasn't come back on yet. When I do a scan only the ignition switch faults show.

Is it now a matter of waiting to see if they reappear or should I be more proactive?  According to Ross tech the codes could mean;

18609/P2177/008567 - Bank 1; System Too Lean off Idle: Upper Limit Exceeded
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Ligh (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Fuel Pump (G6) faulty
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty
Intake System leaking
Exhaust System leaking
Wrong Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) on Fuel Rail
MAF sensor air flow disruption
Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70)
Check Fuel Pump (G6)
Check Fuel Injectors
Check Intake System
Check Exhaust System
Confirm correct Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) part number
Check Air Filter, air box, etc.. Air flow is disrupting MAF readings

And

17522/P1114 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
Possible Symptoms
MIL On
Possible Causes
Faulty O2 Sensor
Wiring Harness Issue for O2 Sensor
Possible Solutions
Inspect O2 Sensor and Wiring Harness. See Repair Manual

Any advice most welcome, thanks.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 12:02:34 pm »
The codes might of been triggered with the changes you have made with the exhaust. Id say the cars fine to drive. As you said keep an eye out if the codes come back.

Did you get the ignition switch?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:09:56 pm by GreigC »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 12:31:47 pm »
The codes might of been triggered with the changes you have made with the exhaust. Id say the cars fine to drive. As you said keep an eye out if the codes come back.

Did you get the ignition switch?

Hoping so. Just seems strange as i drove a couple of hundred miles after fitting the exhaust before it came on. Car is running well though and mpg is normal which is positive.

I haven't bought a switch yet as when you posted the other part number I was unsure which to get. The one you posted comes with extra bits whereas the one I thought it was is just the switch? I was going to ring the dealers in the morning to see which part number they have. What symptoms did your car have when you had the ignition switch codes?

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 12:35:31 pm »
Oddly I have no symtoms that I'm aware of. Just the codes won't clear. I have seen some peoples car wont start because of it... or worse the car can just turn off whilst driving.