Make a donation

Author Topic: Superpro ball joints brake clearance  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Superpro ball joints brake clearance
« on: February 20, 2021, 07:02:51 pm »
Hello people.

first time poster but long time lurker having owned an Edition 30 for 3 1/2 years. I am wanting to add a touch of front negative camber by using the Superpro adjustable ball joints but i am struggling to find an answer as to whether they will clear my brake discs. I understand these ball joints are not compatible with certain big brake kits.

My current setup is TTRS 8J calipers with the oem 370mm discs, and S3 alloy hubs. Is anybody else using this setup who can confirm the ball joint will clear the discs ??

Thanks.
Sean.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Superpro ball joints brake clearance
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:14:49 pm »
V. Good question. I know on mine (TTRS + 362 AP) the SP ball joints had to be ground a little.

The best option is to ditch the ball joints and get some adjustable top mounts. Spendy though

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 07:17:01 pm »
Can't comment on clearance but I fitted audi tt wishbones to get more camber and gave me about an extra degree over just half that from the superpro ball joints. Only paid 80 quid second hand for them as well.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 07:23:03 pm »
V. Good question. I know on mine (TTRS + 362 AP) the SP ball joints had to be ground a little.

The best option is to ditch the ball joints and get some adjustable top mounts. Spendy though

Thanks for the reply. I think i would be in a similar situation and could probably "make" them fit with a bit of fettling but it would be nice to get some confirmation. Yes the ground control mounts would be nice but a bit out of my budget for now !

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:25:54 pm »
Can't comment on clearance but I fitted audi tt wishbones to get more camber and gave me about an extra degree over just half that from the superpro ball joints. Only paid 80 quid second hand for them as well.

Ok thanks I will bear this in mind. I currently also have the S3 arms fitting with the Superpro ALK , this is giving -1.2 camber currently so i guess with the TT wishbones it would sit between -1.5 -2.0 which would be ideal.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:08:07 pm »

Ok thanks I will bear this in mind. I currently also have the S3 arms fitting with the Superpro ALK , this is giving -1.2 camber currently so i guess with the TT wishbones it would sit between -1.5 -2.0 which would be ideal.

I've only got the tt wishbones fitted with the tt solid bush, everything else is stock and it gave me -1.8 camber as an FYI.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:37:54 pm »
The SP balljoints give me almost 2 degrees on my GTi with @25mm of lowering however I can’t help you with the brake clearance aspect. Someone like AKS /  Awesome / RetroResus / TSR may be able to advise you.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 10:09:42 pm »
The SP balljoints give me almost 2 degrees on my GTi with @25mm of lowering however I can’t help you with the brake clearance aspect. Someone like AKS /  Awesome / RetroResus / TSR may be able to advise you.

Your probably right there. Think I will give aks a call Monday and see what they say.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:19:23 am »
Update on this.

All fitted and plenty of clearance even with the brake disc shield.

TT RS calipers with 370mm oem discs.
S3 hubs + arms
Super pro ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:54 pm »
I have ttrs discs and calipers on my eddy but with standard wishbones and powerflex anti lift kit. Was thinking of ordering the superpro balljoints but been searching to find if they would fit.Thanks

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 01:39:12 pm »
No problem. Hopefully it helps other people in the future. In for alignment tomorrow then hopefully all suspension mods are finished.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 10:54:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I think i would be in a similar situation and could probably "make" them fit with a bit of fettling but it would be nice to get some confirmation. Yes the ground control mounts would be nice but a bit out of my budget for now !

I 100% recommend the Ground Controls if and when the budget allows.  No other top mount comes close  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 08:44:51 am »
It’s all set up now , the ball joints did the job nicely in terms of getting the alignment done. Maybe some ground control mounts and top end coilovers could be a future upgrade.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:22:16 am »
Thats a decent amount of front camber there.  :happy2:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 06:11:50 pm »
So with that set up, what does that give you? I’m about to get mine set up and likely to go for standard set up, as I’m running all OEM parts, other than whiteline ARBs, adjustable f/r drop links, TTRS top mounts and Powerflex anti lift kit??