Make a donation

Author Topic: which MK5 GTI would you choose out of these 2  (Read 2009 times)

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
which MK5 GTI would you choose out of these 2
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:15 pm »
Hello,

Hoping to join the MK5 GTI family, these both are in my budget. Prefer the grey colour but like the fact the silver one has cruise control. Anything else glaring that I should think about when making the choice?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7hob2e3nvkr93ouaofeekf74co&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: which MK5 GTI would you choose out of these 2
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:05:47 pm »
Service history and general condition is what I would put it down to tbh. If dsg has been serviced on one but not the other id grab that one for example.

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:55 pm »
Service history and general condition is what I would put it down to tbh. If dsg has been serviced on one but not the other id grab that one for example.
Thanks I thought I wasn't missing anything too obvious,

DSG has been serviced on the silver one @93k, I mentioned DSG service to the grey one and he couldn't find a receipt amongst the service history but has offered to source a service for it before purchase, will come back to me tomorrow. I've also asked both to source 4 off Michelin Pilot tyres for them at trader prices so we'll see what they come back with.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:21:48 pm »
Condition, a service history and general maintenance such as timing belt, water pump, cam follower renewal, DV, PCV etc is much more important than some specs. If those haven’t been done then you need to budget for that at some point.

Can’t quite tell from pictures but the silver one looks like it has Xenons which is a nice option.

If you haven’t already done then ask for copy of the factory option codes so you can compare the 2 cars.

Cruise control is a fairly cheap retrofit so wouldn’t worry too much if that is what you want.

If the steering wheel has paddles - the buttons can also be retrofitted (if they don’t have that) very easily and cheaply.

Lots of other things can also be added as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:23:30 pm by fakie1977 »

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:11:27 pm »
Condition, a service history and general maintenance such as timing belt, water pump, cam follower renewal, DV, PCV etc is much more important than some specs. If those haven’t been done then you need to budget for that at some point.

Can’t quite tell from pictures but the silver one looks like it has Xenons which is a nice option.

If you haven’t already done then ask for copy of the factory option codes so you can compare the 2 cars.

Cruise control is a fairly cheap retrofit so wouldn’t worry too much if that is what you want.

If the steering wheel has paddles - the buttons can also be retrofitted (if they don’t have that) very easily and cheaply.

Lots of other things can also be added as well.

Yes the silver one has the Xenons and better specced in general, also a robust service history

Multifunction Steering Wheels For DSG
Rear Parking Sensor
Xenon Headlamps
Alloy Wheels - 18in Monza II
Metallic Paint
Sunroof Electric Glass
Multifunction Computer (Highline)

The grey one only has the colour, -5k millage, the fact that it's closer to me to get and slightly cheaper (but like you said with lack of service history I'd be paying more than that to catch up).

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:33:02 am »
I also like the grey colour but the silver one looks a much better deal from the above. With a robust service history and great options like Xenons and sunroof (pretty rare on these) I'd be looking at that one. Then as above just make sure you do cam follower, DV valve, pcv valve etc. I was lucky and found recent receipts for all the above so yours might be the same, have a good look through. If it's had the chain/tensioner done aswell that would be a big bonus.

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 12:42:45 pm »
Got a quick question on the model differences,

GOLF GTI TURBO
GOLF GTI AUTO

Is there any major drawback of the Turbo over the Auto?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7hob2e3nvkr93ouaofeekf74co&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure those are not models. Just maybe how they've been named in adverts. Variations i know of are standard gti which are the 2 above, edition 30 and pirelli. Pirelli and ed30 have the ko4 turbo and different seats' wheels, bar that I'm pretty sure its just whatever the buyer spec's on them.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:46:26 pm »
Also are you set on buying from trade? I get that you have a bit more security but there are some very well looked after examples for sale privately.

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:01:33 pm »
Also are you set on buying from trade? I get that you have a bit more security but there are some very well looked after examples for sale privately.
I've been looking for a couple of weeks now, auto trader/motors/facebook market place. Was burnt twice with facebook private sellers who didn't mention the car was a cat S cost me a tenner in HPI checks but glad I did them. Additionally with travel rules now seems ok to travel to a trader but not to a private place to conclude the sale.

Anyhow with all that said I've put a deposit down for the silver one, the winning factors was the sunroof and headlights as well as documented service of the DSG box.

My request to them was a bit unique as I wanted 4 new Pilot Sport Tyres 4 on it, and they were understandably funny as what happens if I change my mind in person and they're now stuck with 4 expensive tyres. In the end it worked out alright and for all 4 new tyres they get at trade prices (said it will cost them 600 but I reckon they got it cheaper but whatever) they knocked off 150GBP for me. So 450 for me to pay for the 4 tyres doesn't seem too bad really. Additionally before collecting the final price includes an MOT / Engine Oil Service /Genuine VW Cambelt kit + water pump and 6 Month AA warranty. Just over a week to wait until I take the old girl home.  :pomppomp:

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:09:36 pm »
FYI - There’s often deals and offers on Michelin’s so usually for 4 tyres for standard 225/45/18 sizes they come in less than £400 fully fitted.

Glad you found your car though. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 03:33:27 pm »
FYI - There’s often deals and offers on Michelin’s so usually for 4 tyres for standard 225/45/18 sizes they come in less than £400 fully fitted.

Glad you found your car though. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

What website are you looking at, I only ever got mine from Costco/Kwikfit and when I did a quick look it was coming 500-580 with fitment. I'll pay more attention to tyre prices now

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 03:38:00 pm »
When I got mine it was with blackcircles- and then you select the local garage to have it fitted.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 03:39:12 pm »
Black circles mate for road tyres in future mate. That price is fully fitted and balanced:

Thats for 17's but 18's are only an extra 20 quid on top.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:41:50 pm by Clarkj93 »

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:05 pm »
bookmarked nice one  :happy2: