Make a donation

Author Topic: Breather hose  (Read 2423 times)

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Breather hose
« on: December 19, 2020, 12:19:19 am »
Hi, had probems with car running on 3 cilinders for a minute on start before clearing up so started looking to see if I can find the issue.

Found this from the breather hose running between cam cover/seperator and oil filter housing.

Any ideas what can cause this goop?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Breather hose
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 06:45:14 pm »
Mmmmmm, salted caramel sauce!

That brown goop is the usual oil/condensation mix you get this time of year.  You'll probably find some on the oil filler cap as well, albeit a different colour. That is quite a lot though.  Is that the oil filter housing end?  Maybe the oil separator in the filter housing is clogged.  Might be worthwhile removing it and flushing it out.  Or just replace the whole lot.  Not cheap from VW but patterns are available for around £50.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:54 am »
Yep its the filter housing end but the whole pipe was basically full. We live near the coast where it rains a lot but this seems excessive.
Oil filter housing was changed about 30k kms ago using original part.
The plastic bit (separator) where the pipe connect to on the head was an aftermarket one so not sure if that can be the cause.

The other pipe leading back to the intake manifold seems clean with the slightest oil wetness to it.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:19:14 am by DeWet »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 10:44:08 pm »
If the oily fluid isn't venting back into the crank case, there's a blockage somewhere.  I can't say exactly where without a physical inspection unfortunately!

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:37:56 pm »
Great thanks. I cleaned the hose and will give it a month to check if there is more the start stripping of pieces to find the block.

Happy 2021! May this one be way better than the crazy of 2020

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:16:36 am »
Just an update on this. I found coolant leaking into cylinder 3 and collecting on the piston which then either slowly works itself into the crank or on start goes somehow back into cam area.

Had to get another Bar-Tek gasket so will fix it this weekend and send pics

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 06:52:27 pm »
After you posted that pic I bought a new hose for mine out of curiosity.  At 150K miles old, mine was brittle as fook.  It literally snapped in half with no effort.  And what it was about 90% clogged with baked carbon  :doh:  It has been idling better with a new hose  :happy2:

How/where is water getting into the cylinder?  Not the head gasket I hope!  I've never seen a TFSI gasket blow, except for crazy tuned ones.

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 09:52:54 pm »
Started the big job yesterday.
Looked like the leak was both the middel pistons.
Because of my crazy setup where I used a BLX fsi engine and added a BWA head I had to go with a Bar-Tek racing metal gasket to drop conpression and create clearance for the valves as the piston top shape a bit different.

Couldnt spot anything obvious and as its my daily driver can have down time to send head in have it checked.

Cleaned surfaces and made 100 sure about torque etc.
Will know by tomorrow the outcome

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 01:40:18 pm »
Difficult to see the state of the block in the pictures, could be pitted adjacent to the bores.
Some of the waterways look rusty, are you using proper coolant? G13 acts as a rust inhibitor

What is going on with your oil deposits in the head?
Looks like that tinned chocolate pudding they have in the states

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 10:09:43 am »
Ive been using Nulon pre mix in the car an also topped up with it.

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/nulon-rlltu5?utm_term=nulon-rlltu5&gclid=CjwKCAiAhbeCBhBcEiwAkv2cY1d4o5XR2X-CcH5tyWijYv34TF8p-6uxLgR8IU9yw5SmPkavnBjCOhoCaz4QAvD_BwE

Checked the fotos from the time I replaced the head and the channels already looked like that then.

Couldnt see too much pitted surface so time will tell.

Only inlet manifold and wiring left to install then I can test it.

Will update tomorrow.

Offline DeWet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:17 am »
Ok its finally back together again. Just took it for a short drive to get it to temperature and sort out coolant level.
So far so good, tomorrow's school run will be the real test.

So if I had to guess........it was maybe my fault from when I added the BWA head.
When I installed the head previously, Injust followed the the sequence to torque the head bolts........so finger tightened all bolts, 40Nm in sequence, another 90 degree turn, and then another 90 degree turn.

When I did this time, I realised after the first sequence that the centre bolts didnt stay at 40Nm. The outer bolts was still 40Nm but I had to go through the sequence 3 times to ensure that all the bolts was 40Nm.
I unfortunately cant remember if I checked them all the previous time but if not it would explain why the middle 2 pistons started leaking. Even if it did last like a year and a half of some redline driving before it did.

Anyways hopefully I can get another 2 years out of it before upgrading to something newer.

Love my golf