Make a donation

Author Topic: Tips for cutting twintercooler hot side hose?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline M

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Tips for cutting twintercooler hot side hose?
« on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:39 pm »
A while ago I bought an Airtec twin spec intercooler for my MK5. Like the Forge kit, the silicone hoses are sent oversized as the kit is designed to fit multiple cars.

I managed to trim the cold side hose perfectly, but the hot side hose was a bit of a nightmare. In an attempt to correct a pretty bad kink I ended up trimming the hose to the point where it was slipping off and not making a full connection on the discharge pipe and main intercooler ends. Mission failed, original intercooler hoses re-installed.

Fast forward to now, I have received a new hot side hose from Airtec and will tackle the job again when the clocks go forward. Obviously more patience and smaller measurements will be paramount this time, but I'm curious if anybody on here has got the hot side hose perfect and has any tips? Any particular end I should leave alone/trim the most off, etc.? I have included an image of the style of hose I am talking about.

Cheers

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:14:03 pm by M »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Tips for cutting twintercooler hot side hose?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:50:52 pm »
I prefer placing the hose/tube/whatever underneath where it will go. Making sure all three openings are directly under the ports they will connect to. Mark just one which needs cutting and cut it. Hold it underneath again and mark the next and cut it. Then repeat for the final one. Or, if you want/choose, suspend the hose underneath in place using tape, string, or zip-ties applied loosely so the hose just hangs below where it will go. Or just hold it without adjusting its position. Mark all three, remove it and then cut all three. You can leave extra beyond the marks if not feeling confident and trim again.

Check it fits at any time for no sign of kinking.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:56:57 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline M

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Tips for cutting twintercooler hot side hose?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:11:25 pm »
Thanks that definitely seems to be the way to go about it, might try the cable tie trick. My original approach was just measuring by eye and trimming arbitrary amounts off until it fit which was really daft in hindsight. Will give it a go in the coming weekend.