Make a donation

Author Topic: New mk5 gti owner questions.. is a map removable/changeable?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New mk5 gti owner questions.. is a map removable/changeable?
« on: February 25, 2021, 02:41:41 am »
Recently purchased a 2008 GTI and have many questions/queries..
First vag car and post on here and upgraded from a 2005 corsa c so this thing is truly mind blowing for me  :grin:

The previous owner said he went to get it mapped and was told it already had one on it.. he only had for about 6 months before me buying it (he bought an s3) and I’m just wondering if there’s any way I can check this and if so can a map be removed/changed?

If it has had a map, I imagine it’s a pretty cheap/basic one as none of the big mapping places have dealers near where I am. And I could see myself wanting to get an r-tech/revo etc done or something more custom  if that is the case (Or is that stupid)?

Its never been dynoed but has an s3 intercooler among a few other mods so was wondering if he was on the way to making it stage 2 as this might be something I want to pursue.

I do have many other questions but I guess I’ll try keep this at one subject per thread.

I don’t have vcds but am looking to purchase an unlimited vin version if anyone can help out with that.. would really appreciate it! Imagine I would need that to check this kind of thing.

Cheers!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: New mk5 gti owner questions.. is a map removable/changeable?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:22:48 pm »
Tuners usually keep the VIN on file, but you would need to contact them all to see which one tuned it.
Easiest way to tell if it is tuned is having the boost data checked when you have access to VCDS or other data viewing tool. If you see 16psi or more...then it is tuned. Stock boost is sub 15 psi...with some saying they see 15 psi when stock. If you do not find the original tuner to reload your stock file, it can still be returned to stock. I know VW Dealer shops can do so, and I believe any tuner can as well. I just don't know if a tuner can re-map it without returning it to stock first.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:48:33 pm »
Ok thank you that’s really helpful I guess I’ll try find someone with vcds or get myself a cable to check boost data and go from there.
Cheers!

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:44:25 pm »
With VCDS can also check the flash count as well, 0 is factory fresh and any more is your flash count data.

In the UK Gendan are great for VCDS if you want the genuine article.  http://www.gendan.co.uk

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:44:53 pm »
With VCDS can also check the flash count as well, 0 is factory fresh and any more is your flash count data.

In the UK Gendan are great for VCDS if you want the genuine article.  http://www.gendan.co.uk

Not fully true. Dealers might have done a ecu update and that goes as a flash update.
Vcds said my count was 1 but the remapped said it was stock before he remapped it.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:29:36 pm »
Of course any flash whether a dealer update or remap will count.
  :grin:

I should have said that.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:09:46 pm »
What updates did the GTI get?  MOT check says none are applicable for mine, or maybe the ED30 didn't get any changes!

I had the infamous 6463 update done to my MK4 R32 but pretty sure the flash count was still zero afterwards.  I think it's done on checksum rather than EPROM write count? VW code shouldn't change in theory as none of the parameters are altered. i.e more boost, more fuel etc.  I think that's how the TD1 warranty void works on the MK7, it actually compares the checksum digit of the revised code vs the factory code.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D