Make a donation

Author Topic: Driver's side curtain airbag loom issues  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Qam2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Driver's side curtain airbag loom issues
« on: February 27, 2021, 09:08:16 pm »
Hi all, my family has a 2006 Golf 1.6 FSI (not a GTI sadly) and we have an Airbag light on which our mechanic has said is caused by a broken connection to the driver's side curtain airbag, does anyone know the cause of this? as I wonder if it could be fixed cost effectively?  Has anyone else had this issue. Thanks in advance.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Driver's side curtain airbag loom issues
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 01:42:36 pm »
How sure is your guy that its the connector?  -It could be a break anywhere in the loom to the airbag.

But if it is the connector it is just in front of the B pillar - tucked up high behind the roof lining:

How it broke... anyone been wrestling or performing any other physical activity in the car?

Offline Qam2

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 01:58:27 pm »
@LC5F The airbag light just came on one day during normal driving.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 06:34:34 pm »
I would suggest finding an auto electrician to confirm where the problem is.
If it's just a connector they should be able swap it out - or replace the airbag with a good used one.

Offline Aeromotion

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »
Hi, I'm new here, but am posting this for the benefit of anyone plagued with an airbag light issue. My wife has a 2nd hand 2008 Golf+ which developed this fault about 4 months after we first got it. Long story short, the problem in our case is with the loom connector in the door pillar. The two small pins low down in this connector which service the door mounted sensor are prone to surface corrosion which every 3 months or so is enough to bring up the bag light. In our case this is exacerbated by the fact that a previous owner has broken the upper clip that should keep the boot in place to keep moisture out. I cure the problem by spraying with contact cleaner and getting rid of the corrosion, then stick the boot down with silicon mastic. Sensor then needs to be reset (it won't clear itself). This cure lasts from 3 to 5 months then recurs. Take it to a dealer and they diagnose a faulty door sensor and will charge £250 for the part and megabucks labour to remove and refit the door outer skin for access, and it won't fix the problem!