Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension refresh  (Read 9007 times)

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
Suspension refresh
« on: February 28, 2021, 12:26:45 pm »
Hey all! New member here, looking for some
Advice. I have an ed30 and I’m looking for a shock/spring kit to stiffen her up a little
Whilst giving abit of a drop! Been looking at the koni str shocks with h&r springs and as I imagine several of you may have previously used or are currently using
This set up? Reviews please or perhaps alternative choices below £600!

Thanks

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Suspension refresh
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 04:09:37 pm »
I just swapped in my fourth set-up. But the Whiteline springs I now have aren't available with dampers in a kit. They are paired with the Bilstein B8s.

My current set is Whiteline WSK-VWN002 and at least the front springs are linear. I've had H&R SuperSport__Eibach Sportline__and H&R SuperSport fronts with H&R Street Performance coilover springs in back. I would recommend selecting a set which has Linear springs...and not progressive.

This VWR set is all linear spring and drops it mildly: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racingline-parts/vwr-sport-shock-absorber-kit-and-spring-kit-golf-5-6/vwr30g5gt~vwr/

This section has a number of options: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Cup_Kits/

Of all those sets, and given your wanting for a mild drop, I would probably select one of these sets: VWR Sport Shock Absorber Kit And Spring Kit__H&R Sport Spring & Bilstein Sport Shocks Combo__Sport Cup Kit (Koni). The problem with many springs sold online is the picture doesn't match what you get. So You would need to contact and ask if they will check if the springs are linear or progressive.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:28:17 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 05:17:45 pm »
I have the VWR / Racingline sports damper / spring kit. It gives a nicely lowered stance and good daily driver comfort with better composure but I think I would go for something stiffer next time.

Offline Damian @ DPM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • DPM Performance
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:35:46 pm »
The ST by KW kit is always a popular choice with us.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Advertising removed... (for the time being)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:40 am »
Hmmmmm, yeah I would probably stay away from Koni.  Their FSD(Frequency Selective Damping)/Special Active dampers are very, very nice indeed.....for 500 miles, and then you'll be sending them off for warranty replacements. If they don't develop oil leaks, they rust to buggery.  Such a shame as they were the go-to damper for VWs back in the day, with H&R springs and Eibach ARBs.  And then new ownership/management stepped in and f'cked with the quality/standards/integrity to save a buck or two. Same old story.

FSD/Special Active, if you're not familiar with the terminology.....think of it as a 'dump valve' for hard impacts. Only a tiny handful of damper makers employ this technology. It works really, really well to smooth out the rough and tumble of crap roads, without the expense and complexity of electronically adjustable magnetic dampers.

Anyway.....VWR, steer clear, it's cheap cr@p.  I liked the kit initially as it was more comfy than my knackered OEM struts, but after 1000 miles or so, I quickly came to the conclusion it uses cheap, unpredictable progressive rate springs matched to weak sauce dampers that can't cope with either the spring rates, or the vehicle weight. Too much dive under braking, too much lift under acceleration, soggy cornering and woeful transition from comfort to bottoming out.  Probably the worst damper/spring partnership I've ever experienced if truth be told.  But that's no surprise given Racingline are charlatans repackaging other companies products as their own.

As an absolute minimum I'd be looking at the B12 Pro kit for a MK6 (not the horrible 'Sportsline' MK5 kit).  Anything less just isn't doing the sublimely stiff MK5 body shell any justice at all.  Big, fat inverted monotubes give a cornering stability and feel like nothing else....and they came about because the OEM style twin tubes bend like a banana under hard cornering.....hence why all the top kits like Bilstein, AST, Ohlins et al all use monotubes for cornering strength.

Or of course, you could just refresh the OEM stuff for around £500.  It's surprisingly good actually, when not knackered.  That should go hand in hand with a chassis bush refresh.  Nobody likes 15 year old rubbers.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 2007 GTI ed30
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 01:43:07 pm »
I do like the look of the b12 kit, demon tweeks have a few to fit the GTi but different prices and all labelled ‘b12 kit’ so unsure what the differences are! Albeit abit pricey fir a road car that will see occasional track use! Debating on the h&r cup kit, awesome has it for £580 atm! Anyone used it before?

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 06:35:47 pm »
Stay away from DemonTweeks and give AKS or AwesomeGTI a ring. I got the Bilstein B12 kit from AKS and had to be quite specific about the car in order to get the correct kit. I think there was slight difference in weight between DSG and manual cars. 

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 2007 GTI ed30
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 02:00:41 pm »
Thought I’d update the post, I’ve decided and ordered a b12 kit! The eddy has a front load weight of 1040 so made sure I had the right kit! Thanks all I will post when I’ve received and fitted them!

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:39:47 pm »
Thought I’d update the post, I’ve decided and ordered a b12 kit! The eddy has a front load weight of 1040 so made sure I had the right kit! Thanks all I will post when I’ve received and fitted them!

How much was that kit?

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 2007 GTI ed30
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:33 am »
£690 delivered, same kit number that awesome have listed for the mk5 but much cheaper on sale at demon tweeks!

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 11:49:41 am »
Hi if you have Vw original springs installed at present could you check the colour coding for me? What colour are the 4 dabs on spring?

Also what was included in the suspension kit, looks nice?

Thanks
Max

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 2007 GTI ed30
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 12:23:42 pm »
I do bud, but I shan’t be changing it over until next weekend! I can do it then for you, I’ll take a picture?
The kit contains front and rear bilstein b8 shocks and eibach sportline springs, no dustcovers unfortunately! The springs came with what look like shortened bumpstops which I assume are for the front shocks, but the b8 front shocks are upside down and have internal bumpstops so I won’t be needing them! Did expect dust covers though!

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 03:13:27 pm »
Great thanks mate, good luck with the switch over!!

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:29:59 pm »
I do bud, but I shan’t be changing it over until next weekend! I can do it then for you, I’ll take a picture?
The kit contains front and rear bilstein b8 shocks and eibach sportline springs, no dustcovers unfortunately! The springs came with what look like shortened bumpstops which I assume are for the front shocks, but the b8 front shocks are upside down and have internal bumpstops so I won’t be needing them! Did expect dust covers though!

Hi bud
I'm looking to do the same on mine, but want to retain the 30mm H&R lowering springs i have fitted as the stance is perfect. Do you if the B12 kit comes without springs and just the shocks/dampers?

Cheers
Louie

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Suspension refresh
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 05:03:41 pm »
The B12 kit is the Bilstein B8’s dampers with Eibach springs. I have this kit on my Audi S6.

On my GTI I too have H&R springs and just bought the B8’s separately. I purchased the MK6 B8’s. The part numbers that I bought are:

B8 (Sport) = Front: 35-158745 (55mm) & Rear: 24-158756

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:05:32 pm by fakie1977 »