Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension refresh  (Read 9002 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Suspension refresh
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 10:11:29 am »
Good stuff
This is the likely route i'll take. Mines on 140k, and i've 30mm H&R Lowering springs. Love the ride and stance, hence for what i use the car for its perfect. I'll also look to replace as many bushes and rubbers etc with stock :-)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2021, 10:28:28 am »
Yeah, I asked earlier last year and was recommended:

Springs
Shocks
Top mounts
Ball joints
Front console bushes
Drop links
Front and rear ARB bushes

But also did the ARBs themselves as Whiteline had a pretty good deal on theirs which included the adjustable drop links as well. Very happy with the way the car handles now. It's the right balance of comfort and stiffness...and speed bumps are still fine!

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2021, 11:29:32 am »
Ah that's really handy to know. Did you replace with OEM items (other than the Whiteline kit)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2021, 11:36:14 am »
Only the ball joints were stock. The top mounts are the Audi TTRS ones. Console bushes were uprated from Darkside Developments and the rest as previously mentioned :)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 12:41:49 pm »
Only the ball joints were stock. The top mounts are the Audi TTRS ones. Console bushes were uprated from Darkside Developments and the rest as previously mentioned :)

Don't suppose you've got the part codes to hand bud?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2021, 02:09:37 pm »
Perfecto!

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 05:22:58 pm »
Hi if you have Vw original springs installed at present could you check the colour coding for me? What colour are the 4 dabs on spring?

Also what was included in the suspension kit, looks nice?

Thanks
Max

Here you go bud

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »
Thanks bud
Eddy was a no no. Suspension was far to harsh and considering it was new it felt worst than my 141k original standard shocks with H&R 30mm lowering springs. Nasty ride, banged and crashed and as for potholes, fook me I nearly had a ruptured spleen!!! Also wasn’t presented well. Dirty, had rust, and albeit the owner had mentioned this in the ad, it wasn’t for me!

Yup! The B12 Sportline is bloody awful. It doesn't even sit level on the car.  Nose down, arse up. Anyone new to Bilstein would steer well clear of the brand after that experience.

That's why I was trying to get across the importance of the black Pro springs with MK6 spec B8 dampers if you value ride comfort  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 06:40:41 pm »
Not for the factory parts.

Top mounts - https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/525-genuine-ttrs-top-mounts.html
Console bushes - https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/tt-uprated-wishbone-console-bushes-for-golf-mk5-platform.html
ARB/Drop link kit - https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/collections/anti-roll-bar-vehicle-kit/products/bwk002-anti-roll-bar-vehicle-kit

Those console bushes are a Febi part, just for clarity.  Audi don't sell the bushes separately.  You have to buy the whole console, which doesn't work on a MK5.

Genuine Audi A2 bushes fit in MK5 consoles though, for another void less rubber option  :happy2:

Good move on the TT top mounts.  The stiffer rubber is needed to reduce damper rod movement over bumps, which also stops the annoying squelching noises you get from MK5 mounts with stiffer dampers.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 08:45:53 pm »
Thanks Kev,
Well so far i've ordered

1, Full set of Bilstein B4 shocks
2, TTRS Top mounts
3, Whiteline ARB kit F/R bars and drop links
4, Ball Joints
5, Powerflex Anti Lift kit

There is also, i believe engine mount (dog bone??) bushes that i want to replace but not sure what these are called or the correct part as want to get Powerfles replacements?

Cheers
Louie

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2021, 07:17:02 am »
Thanks bud
Eddy was a no no. Suspension was far to harsh and considering it was new it felt worst than my 141k original standard shocks with H&R 30mm lowering springs. Nasty ride, banged and crashed and as for potholes, fook me I nearly had a ruptured spleen!!! Also wasn’t presented well. Dirty, had rust, and albeit the owner had mentioned this in the ad, it wasn’t for me!

Yup! The B12 Sportline is bloody awful. It doesn't even sit level on the car.  Nose down, arse up. Anyone new to Bilstein would steer well clear of the brand after that experience.

That's why I was trying to get across the importance of the black Pro springs with MK6 spec B8 dampers if you value ride comfort  :happy2:

Odd, cause mine doesn’t sit anything like youve described, doesn’t look much different than it was stock, in fact I don’t think it’s dropped more than 10mm! and as for comfort it feels firm but I certainly wouldn’t refer to it as uncomfortable in any way! I was surprised as I expected it to be really hard! I see there’s a few different b12 sportline kits listed for the GTI, my front shocks are the ones listed by awesome but other suppliers seem to list a different part number!

Ahwell, I’m pleasantly surpised!
I was umming and arring saving money and buying a vogtland kit before buying this b12 kit, I’m glad I didn’t as I mot’d a Leon last week that had the vogtland kit and that did feel bloody awful! 

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 08:20:19 am »

Good move on the TT top mounts.  The stiffer rubber is needed to reduce damper rod movement over bumps, which also stops the annoying squelching noises you get from MK5 mounts with stiffer dampers.

Cheers! I thought sod it, it's done 180k miles, I'll see about doing the lot and it has made such a difference so onwards to 360k 😂

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2021, 08:51:57 am »
Thanks bud

Odd, cause mine doesn’t sit anything like youve described, doesn’t look much different than it was stock, in fact I don’t think it’s dropped more than 10mm! and as for comfort it feels firm but I certainly wouldn’t refer to it as uncomfortable in any way! I was surprised as I expected it to be really hard! I see there’s a few different b12 sportline kits listed for the GTI, my front shocks are the ones listed by awesome but other suppliers seem to list a different part number!

Ahwell, I’m pleasantly surpised!
I was umming and arring saving money and buying a vogtland kit before buying this b12 kit, I’m glad I didn’t as I mot’d a Leon last week that had the vogtland kit and that did feel bloody awful!

They will drop slightly after a few miles. Mine does sit lower at the front compared to the standard dampers and H&R springs I took off. Overall though the B12 kit was a massive improvement on my ED30 and probably the best mod I’ve done so far.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:53:39 am by Sean_ED30 »

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2021, 08:54:50 am »
Also for info, with the B4 and Eibachs there's very little drop on the front but much more on the back, to the point I need my headlight alignment sorting as they're pointing up a bit too much for my liking. May just be the fact I replaced the units and put better bulbs in at the same time and I'm just noticing it though.