Make a donation

Author Topic: Wing mirror glass  (Read 1550 times)

Offline sandomenico

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Wing mirror glass
« on: February 28, 2021, 02:56:56 pm »
Hi all,
Driving down the road today, I glanced at the drivers side wing mirror and thought it looked a bit funny, the next look, it falls off and is in a million pieces on the road behind me! Great!
There's no shortage of options for a replacement but what would anyone recommend?
An el cheapo thing from ebay for £8 or an 'OE Quality' one from Carparts4less for more like £25 or VW.. :scared:
It's a non heated mirror btw
Thanks.

Offline MattC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,127480.msg1139198.html
Re: Wing mirror glass
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 03:34:28 pm »
This has happened to both of mine. I went OE quality from EuroCarParts for the drivers side when it first happened and last week bought some Chinese crap from eBay which does not fit well at all and am replacing with OE Quality this week!

Hope this helps.

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 03:53:16 pm »

Offline sandomenico

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:53:12 pm »
This has happened to both of mine. I went OE quality from EuroCarParts for the drivers side when it first happened and last week bought some Chinese crap from eBay which does not fit well at all and am replacing with OE Quality this week!

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks. You might already know this but in case you don't, Carparts4less are are and online/delivery only off shoot of EuroCarParts. They have exactly the same stuff but it's cheaper as they don't have physical stores.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 04:57:29 pm »
This is age related i think - both of my wing mirror glasses started separating from their backing plates about a year back. 2008 car... They just started waving around in the wind.

One has been gorrilla glued back and is ok, and then I had an older replacement on the drivers side

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline MattC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,127480.msg1139198.html
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:58:51 pm »
Ok thanks. You might already know this but in case you don't, Carparts4less are are and online/delivery only off shoot of EuroCarParts. They have exactly the same stuff but it's cheaper as they don't have physical stores.

I did not know that, thanks. Could have saved £3 on the mirror glass  :doh:

Offline sandomenico

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:51:42 pm »
This is age related i think - both of my wing mirror glasses started separating from their backing plates about a year back. 2008 car... They just started waving around in the wind.

One has been gorrilla glued back and is ok, and then I had an older replacement on the drivers side

I didn't get a chance to glue mine back on; one minute it was there next it was gone!  :surprised:

Offline deltawing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:28:33 pm »
 9 quid on amazon, its heated but it will still fit a non-heated setup.

TAKPART Right Driver Side Heated Electric Wing Mirror Glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077N87D9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_AQ3SPZJ22MN0MSWPQX9Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:08 pm »
Happened to me as well.  But rather than just falling off onto the road like a good boy, it bounced down the side of my car chipping the sh1t out of my paint on the door  :doh:

Anyway, turned out the previous owner had fitted some cheap arse piece of crap that self adhered to the mount.  I replaced it with a genuine glass that clips in properly and has been aces of basses ever since  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D