Make a donation

Author Topic: What stereo is in your mk5?  (Read 12260 times)

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Re: What stereo is in your mk5?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 09:42:13 am »
Thats bad man. Im based in East London if that's of any help. But if he dremmel'd bits out then maybe that's why its not sitting correctly. Depending what he cut if he did the internal plastic then that could be an expensive repair

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 09:48:57 am »
Thats bad man. Im based in East London if that's of any help. But if he dremmel'd bits out then maybe that's why its not sitting correctly. Depending what he cut if he did the internal plastic then that could be an expensive repair

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

He said the cage wouldn't fit, so dremelled some bits of plastic that were at the top and bottom of the opening for the stereo. Now it's just sort of wedged in. Yes no doubt it's affected how the other bits of trim fit together. Thing is this guy had lots of good reviews online?! Thanks for the offer but probably a bit far tbh mate.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 10:41:48 am »
U should be able to get that trim for cheap from any scrap yard with a mk5 golf they are all the same

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 10:52:19 am »
U should be able to get that trim for cheap from any scrap yard with a mk5 golf they are all the same

Cheers I have the part number but most have scratches also whereas this was perfect before he took the screwdriver to it. Other problem I've got is where he's bodged putting the stereo in it's had a knock on effect on the other bits of trim so they won't fit together. Hopefully i can take it apart and put it right but I think he might have warped some of the plastic forcing it.

edit: Don't think it is the same as standard mk5? on this all the dials are the same size and the opening above is bigger. Part number i have is 1K0858069L 1QB
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:41:48 am by Jons1001 »

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 11:41:42 am »
Was it a proper company or just some chap on Facebook , no way would I be letting a proper company get away with that.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 11:43:45 am »
Was it a proper company or just some chap on Facebook , no way would I be letting a proper company get away with that.

Well a bit of both i think. No official website or anything but a facebook page called 'Place name' Car Audio. Seems to have been 'trading' for over 3 years and had plenty of positive reviews.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 11:55:20 am »
That’s the problem with reviews it’s not hard to get all your friends to write them for you especially on Facebook, did you get a invoice/receipt for the work he did?

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 11:59:14 am »
That’s the problem with reviews it’s not hard to get all your friends to write them for you especially on Facebook, did you get a invoice/receipt for the work he did?

No i didn't. I have got messages on facebook etc. arranging it but don't suspect i can get anywhere now he is ignoring me.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 12:18:46 pm »
He's replied to my message now saying he will take a look this evening....

Don't suppose he can do much more damage but wouldn't put it past him, what does the forum reckon?

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 06:28:14 pm »
I had a similar problem with mine when I fitted my stereo had a gap at the top, it was cause all the surround trims all need to be lined up and clipped in properly for them to all line up. From memory there is torx screws at the top that will need to come back out under the top vent take your time as it's a bit fiddly and tight. Pretty sure there is a how to remove the stereo video on YouTube I watched before doing mine.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 07:07:19 pm »
I had a similar problem with mine when I fitted my stereo had a gap at the top, it was cause all the surround trims all need to be lined up and clipped in properly for them to all line up. From memory there is torx screws at the top that will need to come back out under the top vent take your time as it's a bit fiddly and tight. Pretty sure there is a how to remove the stereo video on YouTube I watched before doing mine.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks the problem here though was it was too tight height wise so I suppose the opposite of your issue. As he has dremelled some of the plastic out though I don't really know what I need to do to get it right and be able to make the trim fit back together properly until I have a proper look.

Update he has offered a refund, I accepted and he has transferred an extra £20 which in total is the price of the trim. I didn't ask him to so even though he bodged it fair play to him. I'll still be out of pocket but it's probably the best I could have hoped for.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 07:13:39 pm »
Does anyone know if the trim would be any cheaper at TPS rather than dealer/eBay (cheapest is £48).
Part number is 1K0858069L1QB

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 07:14:26 pm »
I fitted my own radio and it really isn't hard, I'd have a go yourself there are lots of good guides on YouTube.  I'd also be concerned as to what state he's left the wiring in.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 07:37:30 pm »
Result on getting your money back.

Try contacting these guys for a price https://www.coverdalecarparts.co.uk/

I use them for most VW parts

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 01:25:06 pm »
Thanks JB have messaged them.

Can anyone enlighten me as to wtf he has done?