Make a donation

Author Topic: Grinding Noise When Engine Breaking  (Read 520 times)

Offline dbesp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Grinding Noise When Engine Breaking
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:00:00 am »
Hello all!

I've recently discovered a potential issue in my 2009 MK5 GTI.

Some background:
The car is APR Stage 2 with supporting mods. Recently got a shop to install a South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch and Flywheel Kit 2.0T TSI onto the car and I have put around 600KM on the clutch of light city driving. 600KM was the suggested break-in period. After break-in, I decided to finally give it some gas in second gear and after this, I noticed a grinding noise when decelerating/engine breaking in first and second gear. The sound is audible inside the cabin when both music and climate control are set off. Furthermore, I notice when getting off the gas in first gear the car doesn't grab/lug forward as hard as it did before and instead decelerates much slower than before. The grinding sound is most audible when engine breaking in first gear, still noticeable but less audible when engine breaking in second gear and it is not audible in any other gears. I have the car booked into the shop in 5 days but I am wondering if I should avoid driving as much as possible before getting it in to be checked out.

Other than the obvious grinding noise when decelerating, there are no other apparent issues or changes with the car.

If anyone has some insight on what it could be and if it is harmful, your advice will be appreciated!