Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Con Clutch  (Read 3286 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Air Con Clutch
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:44:43 am »
Hi folks.

My AC compressor is basically stuck on all the time. The clutch is stuck engaged. The alternator pully still operates correctly in that it will freewheel one direction and lock in the opposite if the armature (rotor) is locked in place.

Question is. Has anybody just changed the clutch or pully on the AC compressor instead of the compressor itself? The comp is working and is trying to but wondering if I can just swap the clutch out instead....and if so will the comp need removed?

Everything still moved but is starting to make a slight noise and naturally not good for it.

Cheers

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Air Con Clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:52:22 am »
The compressor does not have a clutch, it is controlled by a solenoid valve. The pulley that you a referring to is meant to be engaged all the time. 

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:50:51 pm »
Sorry mate terminology might be wrong but I think it does have a kind of "clutch" setup. Solenoid valve engages electromagnet which pulls the inner clamp plate (inner part of the pulley) and locks it to the outer pulley essentially when the compressor is engaged. If you watch your pulley with the AC off only the outer part will turn, switch it on and the whole pulley rotates.

Solenoid controls the magnet is what I was under the impression? I may be wrong  but I thought you can change the electromagnet part etc seperate?

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 06:48:42 am »
Sorry mate terminology might be wrong but I think it does have a kind of "clutch" setup. Solenoid valve engages electromagnet which pulls the inner clamp plate (inner part of the pulley) and locks it to the outer pulley essentially when the compressor is engaged. If you watch your pulley with the AC off only the outer part will turn, switch it on and the whole pulley rotates.

Solenoid controls the magnet is what I was under the impression? I may be wrong  but I thought you can change the electromagnet part etc seperate?

No there is not a magnetic clutch on most ac compressors fitted to the climate control system on the gti, the pulley is permanently engaged, the climate control module send a signal to a solenoid valve on the rear of the compressor, this valve turns the flow of refrigerant through the compressor on and off.

You need to check the part number sticker on the front of the compressor to be sure, if your compressor looks like this you definitely do not have a clutch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-A3-S3-8P-VW-GOLF-MK5-GTI-2-0-A-C-AIR-CON-COMPRESSOR-PUMP-1K0820803N/402698207080?epid=1709347628&hash=item5dc2aeff68:g:RrgAAOSwhkFgLnNo

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 02:53:53 pm »
Is this the part needed?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Conditioning-A-C-Delphi-Compressor-5N0820803-For-Seat-Skoda-VW-Repair-Kit/232378514061?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item361ad6ba8d:g:WOsAAOSwFrtbNLic

Cheers mate. Aye that's the part I'm thinking about tbh. Maybe not that exact seller but same part yeah.

No there is not a magnetic clutch on most ac compressors fitted to the climate control system on the gti, the pulley is permanently engaged, the climate control module send a signal to a solenoid valve on the rear of the compressor, this valve turns the flow of refrigerant through the compressor on and off.

You need to check the part number sticker on the front of the compressor to be sure, if your compressor looks like this you definitely do not have a clutch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-A3-S3-8P-VW-GOLF-MK5-GTI-2-0-A-C-AIR-CON-COMPRESSOR-PUMP-1K0820803N/402698207080?epid=1709347628&hash=item5dc2aeff68:g:RrgAAOSwhkFgLnNo

Ah ok cheers mate ill have a look shortly and find out either way and stick it on here.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 05:01:37 pm »

Got you mate done a bit more research and I see what you mean. Not checked what compressor I have yet but I think your right and its the clutchless variant as you say. I wonder if changing the solenoid would help. Trying to find the part number for it but will probably need my compressor number first id imagine.

Cheers for the info I'll keep this up to date with what I find for anybody else comes across the same issue.

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 03:58:03 am »
The solenoid valves are available separately, you need to check which brand of compressor you have before ordering. There were 3 makes of compressors used, Delphi, Sanden and Zexel, I believe the Delphi and Sanden valves are interchangeable, the Zexel is not.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 07:01:30 pm »
So if you relax the serpentine belt tension the pulley doesn't spin freely?  Mine does, which I'm guessing/hoping is normal!  I haven't looked into how the compressor works on these cars tbh.

Let us know how you get on mate.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 01:58:41 pm »
Just to keep the thread up to date. I've found I have the denso compressor. I have the suspected part number hard to see it. Can't find the part number for the solenoid on its own is the next problem if anybody can find it at all??

So if you relax the serpentine belt tension the pulley doesn't spin freely?  Mine does, which I'm guessing/hoping is normal!  I haven't looked into how the compressor works on these cars tbh.

Nonworries mate will do. Can't remember if the pulley spins freely I will double check tho....internal resistance of the compressor may prevent this.

I'll update.....got bigger issues just now....my TTE has just started a siren wailing....so shaft is f*cked....can't believe it.....another thread inbound lol

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 02:39:12 pm »
Just to keep the thread up to date. I've found I have the denso compressor. I have the suspected part number hard to see it. Can't find the part number for the solenoid on its own is the next problem if anybody can find it at all??

Nonworries mate will do. Can't remember if the pulley spins freely I will double check tho....internal resistance of the compressor may prevent this.

I'll update.....got bigger issues just now....my TTE has just started a siren wailing....so shaft is f*cked....can't believe it.....another thread inbound lol

This is the part number for the Denso valve 1K0260859F.

Ebay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Control-Valve-fits-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-2003-on-NRF-1K0260859F-1K0820803E-1K0820803F/233917595006?epid=1764792875&hash=item3676933d7e:g:5V8AAOSwB6JgP2~K

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 01:27:41 pm »

This is the part number for the Denso valve 1K0260859F.

Ebay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Control-Valve-fits-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-2003-on-NRF-1K0260859F-1K0820803E-1K0820803F/233917595006?epid=1764792875&hash=item3676933d7e:g:5V8AAOSwB6JgP2~K

Thanks mate very much appreciated some guy cheers for that.  :happy2: