Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheap coilovers vs shock and spring kit?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Cheap coilovers vs shock and spring kit?
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:23:14 am »
Debating whether or not to go for a cheap set of coilovers or a shock/lowering spring kit?

The car needs a spring anyway and also planning changing droplinks/top mounts and I came across a stance+ set of coilovers that seem to include links for about £300.

I understand it’s very much get what you pay for with coilovers but the reviews on them are surprisingly positive and the price is very appealing..

Another point to add is the roads where I live are covered with f*ckn potholes which I’m sure will have an impact on what to go for and I’m also not looking for a massive drop either, just to fill in the arches a bit better.

Would appreciate any words from people who’ve gone down either route and how they’ve got on with their choice of kit.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Cheap coilovers vs shock and spring kit?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:07:29 am »
Hi mate. Relatively new to thr golf scene. One of my front springs snapped and I opted for the h&r lowering springs. I have had this make on previous cars before. Very happy with how it looks and handles.

Ref coilovers. I always gauge you pay for what you get for.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 04:26:33 pm »
Given your roads are terrible, I'd steer clear of cheap coilovers personally.  The more suspension travel, the better on naff roads.  Even expensive ones can be killed off pretty quickly on bad roads.  Don't ask me how I know  :grin:

I've got a -20mm ST kit on the way to fill in the suspension duties whilst my coillies are off for rebuild.  A trusted source has just fitted the same kit to his car and the ride height looks spot on to me. A little higher than my signature pic.  He also says the ride and handling are great  :happy2:  We got them from DPM Performance.  £449 shipped.  Very reasonable indeed.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 05:55:38 pm »
Ok cheers for the input guys.

Never used coilovers but I think I may have my answer if even expensive sets don’t hold up the best to daily pothole abuse, can’t imagine a £300 set are going to do very well.

It’s not exactly going for pure performance either just a small drop + improved comfort from my knackered shocks and springs so think that may be the way to go.

:smiley:

Offline Damian @ DPM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • DPM Performance
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 05:31:54 pm »
For me it would be a decent set of springs and shocks over cheap coilovers.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Advertising removed... (for the time being)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:30:19 pm »
I would never go cheap coil-overs over springs & dampers.
And given ours only truly get coil-overs on the front...it makes it difficult to choose even good coil-overs over springs & dampers for a daily.

I was pretty low on my third set of springs and I came to dislike the constant worry of potholes and lot entrances...and how to avoid damage. But I did crack the core support last year. So I raised mine, last summer, from 24" to 25-1/4" FTG (fender-to-ground measurement) with a fourth set of springs.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 12:51:11 pm »
I’ve recently bought an fitted the bilstein b12 sportline kit to my ed30, and despite being told they make the front way too low and are way too harsh etc. They are fantastic! Genuinely surprised how comfortable it is, feels only a tad stiffer than oem but holds the road so well! Also it’s evenly lowered it all round by about 10/15mm! Over the moon with it and honestly couldn’t recommend it more! very glad I spent the extra few ££!

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 04:56:35 pm »
I’ve recently bought an fitted the bilstein b12 sportline kit to my ed30, and despite being told they make the front way too low and are way too harsh etc. They are fantastic! Genuinely surprised how comfortable it is, feels only a tad stiffer than oem but holds the road so well! Also it’s evenly lowered it all round by about 10/15mm! Over the moon with it and honestly couldn’t recommend it more! very glad I spent the extra few ££!

I'm also very happy with my set of sportline b12 kit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:20:19 pm by Mekaniko »

Offline Nertballs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 08:06:49 pm »
Given your roads are terrible, I'd steer clear of cheap coilovers personally.  The more suspension travel, the better on naff roads.  Even expensive ones can be killed off pretty quickly on bad roads.  Don't ask me how I know  :grin:

I've got a -20mm ST kit on the way to fill in the suspension duties whilst my coillies are off for rebuild.  A trusted source has just fitted the same kit to his car and the ride height looks spot on to me. A little higher than my signature pic.  He also says the ride and handling are great  :happy2:  We got them from DPM Performance.  £449 shipped.  Very reasonable indeed.

Had my eye on them for the last while. I've a 2L GT TDi with factory sport suspension (which is 20mm lower than standard iirc?), is that a 20mm drop from the standard or sport?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 11:35:20 am »
The STs are model specific I think.

This is the -20mm kit fitted to my Edition 30.  I have the thicker TT rear spring mounts on mine, so is sitting a little higher at the back than normal (approx 5mm) but I wanted the OEM slight nose down stance anyway  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Nertballs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 01:13:11 pm »
The STs are model specific I think.

This is the -20mm kit fitted to my Edition 30.  I have the thicker TT rear spring mounts on mine, so is sitting a little higher at the back than normal (approx 5mm) but I wanted the OEM slight nose down stance anyway  :smiley:

Yeah looks nice and potent with the little bit of rake, I'll look into them cheers!

Awaiting a nice set of BBS CHs once my current tyres are done, going to try attempt a full suspension refresh at that point so I have a bit of time anyways.