Make a donation

Author Topic: MK7 Golf R front brakes  (Read 3591 times)

Offline AlexC

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK7 Golf R front brakes
« on: March 13, 2021, 06:18:00 pm »
I’ve got a 07 MK5 GTi and want to upgrade the brakes before I start adding power, I’ve got a some Golf R front calipers but need some help regarding fitting.

Apart from the calipers what else will I need to get them fitted?

I’d really like to keep the car looking as standard as possible so would ideally like to keep the Monza wheels, is this possible or are the calipers too big?

Thanks in advance!

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: MK7 Golf R front brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:46:21 am »
Welcome - as long as you have the carriers with the calipers, you only really need discs from a Audi TT Coupe 3.2 2008
- I went for Brembo's
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-disc-10444820A
Pads for the Mk7 Golf R -
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-pad-10144422A
ECP have 45% off today as its St.Parricks day - Random

Current stone guards work.
Current flexi brake pipes work too - but its a good time to upgrade

Its a great upgrade, big improvement over the original brakes - even just on pad size:

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 03:25:08 pm »
Does it work the other way around? The Golf R discs work on the MK5 R32 calipers? Looking at 2 piece front and rear discs and can see them readily available for the Golf R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlexC

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:12:46 pm »
Thank you! Really appreciate the replies. Any recommendation on brake pipes to use? I think it’s sensible going braided now while everything’s off. Cheers.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 05:12:41 pm »
Thank you! Really appreciate the replies. Any recommendation on brake pipes to use? I think it’s sensible going braided now while everything’s off. Cheers.

Hel - much better quality, colour selection and price than Goodridge.
I got mine from this seller on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/pedal_2metal - seems to have a good discount - if you want a particular colour just ask:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-STAINLESS-STEEL-BRAIDED-BRAKE-LINES-VW-MK-5-GOLF-TDI-GTI-SDI-2-0-2004-08/164712119778?hash=item26599b7de2:g:KqEAAOSw0IJZyOUP

Does it work the other way around? The Golf R discs work on the MK5 R32 calipers? Looking at 2 piece front and rear discs and can see them readily available for the Golf R.

Sorry Fella  - I've not looked into it that way around! there is a big upgrade brakes thread on here

Offline AlexC

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 06:33:21 pm »
Great thanks, so do you use GTI hoses or R hoses? I wasn’t sure if they’d have different connections.

Do you know if the 17” monza’s would fit with this setup?

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:06:35 am »
New hoses would be needed
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:06:50 am »
Great thread with all the info you need here: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,108106.0.html

I put some part numbers on page 17
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:08:50 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 07:28:31 pm »
New hoses would be needed

No - Hose length and connection at the caliper are the same as standard Mk5 Caliper - standard hoses will work, but most are running original hoses so best to replace while everything is off

Great thanks, so do you use GTI hoses or R hoses? I wasn’t sure if they’d have different connections.

Do you know if the 17” monza’s would fit with this setup?

The Normal Mk5 hoses - like the ebay link
Don't know about 17"s, but I suspect they will fit.
Mine has lots of room but they are replica 18" Monza's.

You can look forward to being greeted by cheeky R between spokes:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:17 am »
Yes the massive pads and discs are what bring about the biggest improvements in braking, at the cost of pedal feel....and unsprung weight (to a large degree).  Leverage, friction, dead mass and physics at play here.

The first cm of pedal travel is dead/soft compared to OEM due to Master Cylinder volume vs caliper volume mismatching.  The fix for that is the larger 25mm TTRS Master cylinder (late GTI is 23mm for comparison, early = 22m).  1/2 to 3/4 pedal pressure is significantly more powerful than OEM though, so it's a toss up of subjective pedal feel vs value as to whether the (very expensive) TTRS Master cylinder is worth it or not.

The OEM 7R/GTI PP/Cupra R pads are partitioned in the middle, so not sure what brand the pads pictured are.

All you need to fit them is the carriers, pads and calipers.  MK5 back plates and hoses work just fine.  Don't get sucked into the braided hose rabbit hole, the difference is minimal to non-existent/placebo.  OEM ones are kevlar reinforced and plenty solid enough.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 03:30:00 pm »
The OEM 7R/GTI PP/Cupra R pads are partitioned in the middle, so not sure what brand the pads pictured are.
They are plain vanilla Brembo's as listed on ECP for Mk7 Golf R - very aware of better pad materials out there, my thinking is try the basic and see how I get on - I am still delighted with their stopping power.

Yes - OEM hoses tend to be very well designed and have great materials, but as they look like any other brake hose and can get damaged by wrong type of hose clamp being used on them, plus steel terminals corrode.
or
The aftermarket option gives stainless connections that won't corrode and look alien enough for a clamp not to be used.

I would suspect 4 new genuine OEM hoses to be cost neutral with aftermarket hoses.