Make a donation

Author Topic: How many have been effected by headliner sagging?  (Read 15151 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
Re: How many have been effected by headliner sagging?
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2022, 09:27:25 pm »
Don’t bother fixing the existing headliner… if it’s sagged at the sun glasses tray it will all be stretched out of shape and look a mess once glued. Also it will be sagging under each sun visor next if not already then finally they let go in the middle centre light.

Source an 05 or early 06 year GTI that’s being broken they are made much better. I believe VW sourced a different manufacturer later in production. Hence the sagging.

If you have a newer car than 05, 06, the headliners all still fit but you might need to change the wiring over that sits above the headliner (use your old wiring) if it’s different. Easy to swap… VW literally just sellotaped them on (don’t forget to change this) your centre lights and sun visor lights won’t work. Early cars have the interior motion sensor in the middle left of interior headliner and was moved in later cars to centre dome light panel hence the different wiring.

Basically just take it all out like I did, days work at most and take your time it’s self explanatory really… just source an earlier year GTI headliner and fit it… job done. I’ve had no issues since and most importantly it looks perfect now.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:47:18 pm by GreigC »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sf9s0437dtmm2vp99srv42qdtu&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2022, 11:08:08 pm »
f*ck that… I’ll glue it and that will be that, creases or not. :-)

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2022, 08:27:22 am »
I've had this twice now. First time it was sagging round the sunglasses holder then starts to go round the sun visors.
I tried to glue it and it looked a mess. If the foam has separated the glue soaks straight through the material
When I looked at mine it was clear it hadn't come unstuck but was the thin foam had broken down separating the material.
It took ages to source a good condition replacement from the breakers, it looked good for 6 months and now its happening again in the same place.

I've been told by the dealer a 5dr anthracite headliner is no longer produced and not available, not tried anywhere else yet.

So as others have said if you're doing the job, watch the ribbon wiring on the reverse, especially at the sunvisor mount its easy to tear this, dont leave the headliner hanging on the wiring. Make sure the wiring is correct if swapping (illuminated mirrors, interior monitor etc)

Im thinking of adding some  stick on type heat insulation to the underside of my roof when I tackle the job again as an extra measure.

Possibly having the original re covered if I cant find any good replacements, they're all probably on borrowed time now due to age.
Has anyone seen the pre cut covers on e bay? was wondering how the stitching lines stay straight if you have to stretch it round the contours of the backing board and how awkward it would be having the pre cut holes?

Any thoughts?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2022, 10:12:21 am »
What about if you were to let the contact adhesive go off before pushing it all together?  Shouldn't soak through then?  Sounds like a pain in the hoop either way.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sf9s0437dtmm2vp99srv42qdtu&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2022, 09:48:58 am »
f*ck that… I’ll glue it and that will be that, creases or not. :-)

Well that didn't work. The foam backing f*cks with the glue and what you'll find is that it's impossible to stretch the fabri back enough to cover it properly. Ohh well. I'll leave it until it's completely f*cked and then I'll just torch the car.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2022, 10:13:40 am »
I'll bring mine along as well for a ceremonial burning  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2022, 12:32:51 pm »
Hah. Brilliant.

I have ordered a sample of some material. Gonna redo the whole thing…. f*ck it.

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2022, 01:35:32 pm »
Sounds like you had about as much luck as me  :laugh:

Its cut so tight to the apertures it leaves no room for stretching or leaving it long then trimming it off.

I like the look of the suede type ones on e bay with the double red stitched line. With the apertures pre cut and the stitching needing to be straight i'm reluctant to do it through fear of it looking pants  :grin:
And if I was to try just the normal material would thicker or thinner foam be best? its obviously there to keep creases out but is there more chance of the thicker one breaking down again?

I've tried several trimming companies local to me but none seem keen to take it on.

rich, keep this updated so we can see how you get on  :happy2: (i think i'm fairly local to you from previous posts)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2022, 04:40:17 pm »
Sounds like you had about as much luck as me  :laugh:

Its cut so tight to the apertures it leaves no room for stretching or leaving it long then trimming it off.

I like the look of the suede type ones on e bay with the double red stitched line. With the apertures pre cut and the stitching needing to be straight i'm reluctant to do it through fear of it looking pants  :grin:
And if I was to try just the normal material would thicker or thinner foam be best? its obviously there to keep creases out but is there more chance of the thicker one breaking down again?

I've tried several trimming companies local to me but none seem keen to take it on.

rich, keep this updated so we can see how you get on  :happy2: (i think i'm fairly local to you from previous posts)

I will do.... first thing is to find some decent material which hopefully matches the pillar trim otherwise i will have to do the headliner and all the pillar trims. I am in Hemel.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
I sorted mine by dropping the sunglass tray and putting double sided tape behind the lining after pulling the slack tight under the tray. The tape holds it in place long enough to tighten the tray back in place which secures everything nicely back.
If you take your time, it took me a few attempts to get it right it looks as good as new.

That sounds like a great fix.....most of not ALL GTi's have this issue. Be great if you could fire out a tutorial as the uptake on this, i think, will be huge!!!!! :congrats:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2022, 06:26:06 pm »
Black sunroof model, 07, 151K miles, no sagging.  I've even scrubbed it several times over the years with carpet cleaner and still not dropping.  A very strange and sporadic problem indeed.

Thats coz you cast your amazing knowledge throughout the forum, hence the Headliner gods look after you!!!!

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2022, 08:09:05 pm »
No sagging just yet on my 05 GTI! Shame as this seems like a common problem. Looks like the only way to fix it would be to have it done again properly. Weird how the earlier ones don't suffer the same consequences??  :thinking:
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2022, 09:22:24 am »
Black sunroof model, 07, 151K miles, no sagging.  I've even scrubbed it several times over the years with carpet cleaner and still not dropping.  A very strange and sporadic problem indeed.

Thats coz you cast your amazing knowledge throughout the forum, hence the Headliner gods look after you!!!!

I'm not sure about that but thanks  :grin:

I feel like this issue is much more common on sunroof-less cars?  With sunroofs, there are more edges and corners to glue onto for support, plus a gaping hole where material would otherwise be, so nothing to sag  :smiley:

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2022, 01:38:35 pm »
No sagging here :happy2: 07 plate 116000 careful miles :innocent: