Make a donation

Author Topic: Dipstick Tube  (Read 941 times)

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Dipstick Tube
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:36:31 pm »
I need to replace my dipstick tube, is it as simple as undoing the bolt at the top and just pulling it straight up?

Offline Ash_89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Dipstick Tube
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:42:42 pm »
Yes.
Last time I removed/ re-fitted mine the alternator+tensioner were whipped off to give myself more room and seeing space. Can be a pain as you cant really put much force down on the tube to seat it properly.
The plastic part at the base of the tube can also become very brittle.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Dipstick Tube
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:13 pm »
I am not ashamed to admit I struggled with this.

Couldn't get the old tube off the stud on the intake...I eventually cut the old orange plastic flap off to release the tube.  New yellow tube, couldnt get it past the stud, unsure why I thought it would be any different!... lots of head scratching... until I looked carefully at the upside down stud and spotted it has a very small hex head and it is designed to come out ...with the stud out it is depressingly easy.

Once you know about the stud, the only difficult part is guiding the new tube into the block.
I did this job at the same time as replacing the coolant temp sensor, I can remember it being just visible - but can't recall if I this was because I had the alternator off at the time.

When you remove the tube you are opening up a hole into the sump that grit/grime can drop into -before pulling tube out try to get down there with brake cleaner & compressed air to help remove anything loose.