Make a donation

Author Topic: Tuning/Remap companies in Scotland + advice.  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Tuning/Remap companies in Scotland + advice.
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:09:34 pm »
Looking for recommendations on the best tuning companies for a mk5 gti in Scotland. Whether it be revo, apr, ecotuning etc. And is there anywhere that does custom tunes similar to r-tech?

I’d love to go with them  but it’s a 16 hour round trip for me and the wait times are excessive at the moment.

I believe the car already has a tune but no proof of this from last owner and I’ve added an intake + down pipe and some other things since purchase so would like to get it re-done.

Can anyone recommend me a decent company to go with?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=urkcur0l9v158r4qh4b3dv9ih4&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Tuning/Remap companies in Scotland + advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:17:24 pm »
Sorry pal, million miles away from you but typically when I've had cars tuned ive always found a custom tuner not too far via a quick Google search. You'd be surprised how many are about especially near popular circuits. R tech have a brilliant reputation but they are not the only shop that can do what they do.

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:54:02 pm »
Yeah I’ve found a few near where I am that look promising but I was hoping to get some recommendations from other mk5 owners rather than just going by reviews etc as I know results vary from car to car.

If not I will probably just go with the best reviewed custom tuner that isn’t 500 miles away!

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:49:04 pm »
Depends if you are getting a custom re-map or something more off the shelf.
It may be easier to narrow your search in our little - big - country by what company remap you are wanting?

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:55:27 pm »
I’m unsure as to what company I’d want if I’m honest. From what I’ve read the best places seem to be R-tech, revo and apr?

I was hoping to get something custom done though rather than just an off the shelf map.

There’s a place near me called 8ball tuning that seem to fit the bill with great reviews, highly doubt anyone on here has used them though?

I’m fairly new to tuning so I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any advice?

Would I be just as well getting a stage one from Revo etc than going to a custom tuner?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:11:31 pm »
Your a long way North up there - for the older sassenacks - this is just along the coast from where Local Hero was filmed

If you are only looking at stage 1 level of tune I wouldn't bother with custom remap, an off the shelf package with a few tweaks should be fine, it should make a big difference to drivability over standard.

I'm down in Edinburgh, I have not got my mk5 remapped yet, but thinking APR or Revo stage 2 - leaning more Revo as I had a previous Mk4 on Revo, plus their DSG remaps are considerably cheaper than APR.

There is no doubt that R-tech knows their way around a Mk5, they get a lot of positive reviews and they know how to market themselves - but if you dig deep here in the forum there are a few negatives floating around - several say their rolling road is a bit too generous.  Someone recently posted they are booked up till autumn, so it could be a long wait to get a slot.

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 04:46:44 pm »
I am far north indeed!

I’m actually planning going stage 2 when it’s affordable but that would be my limit.

I’ve got an induction kit + downpipe but I’m not sure if I’d need other supporting mods like clutch/brakes. It’s a manual. Also don’t know if I can skip stage 1 and go straight to 2 as I think it’s stage 1 already.

I know stage 2+ you definitely need clutch + fuel pump internals etc but I was hoping to go stage 2 with stock clutch and maybe upgrade the brakes at a later date.

Do you think a custom time would be worthwhile for stage 2?

After looking around I’m leaning towards revo stage 2 or a custom tune but I’m not sure what the difference is if I’m honest. I’m hoping for more low/mid power rather than just peak figures.

And yeah I’ve heard that mentioned about the rolling road also.. doesn’t really matter for me as they’re too far away anyway.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 12:32:25 pm »
With the supporting modifications you can dive in at any stage.
You may be able to get away with a current clutch, but if you are questioning it now it may be good to upgrade before remap.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:11 am »
My Mk5 GTI is also a manual and I’m running APR stage 2+. I got the car at 110,00km and got APR stage 1 about 10,000km later. I went to stage 2+ about another 10,000km later. Only supporting mods I did were the minimum. 3” catless down pipe and updated high pressure fuel pump internals.
My clutch finally died at about 160,000km. I thought about upgrading it and asked my friend (GLIDN on this forum and many others) who did the tuning on my car and he said unless I intended to go above stage 2+, (which I don’t) then there was no need. So I just installed a new Luk OEM clutch and dual mass flywheel. Also chucked in a limited slip differential while I was in there.
Car is over 200,000km now and no issues

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 10:00:33 pm »
That is really good to know mate cheers.

It is a hefty bill and if avoidable I’d much rather spend the money on other things.
Still don’t know what route I’m going to go down tbh. The plan was to go stage 2 ideally with a custom tuner but I’ve heard questionable things about the other ones local to me so that leaves Revo or travelling a few hours which I’m happy to do but still unsure where to take it.

Will probably go down the Revo route unless I come across a decent looking custom place in Glasgow/Edinburgh. I’ve seen ecotune etc but not sure what they’re like with these cars.

Thanks for all the feedback though, if anyone has any suggestions on the best place to take it in Scotland would be much appreciated, just seems you get much more for your money than getting a flash like Revo/Apr but I may go down that route if I don’t find anywhere soon.