Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI Stage 2+ Power drop while shifting  (Read 1532 times)

Offline nikolov92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK5 GTI Stage 2+ Power drop while shifting
« on: April 03, 2021, 07:39:26 pm »
Hi, guys, nice to meet you, I`m Kaloyan, but my friends calling me Nik for easier.  :drinking:
Before 2 years, I bought a Golf GTI MK5, bit high mileage but in very good shape. Sence then, I start to do some mods and bits on it, like DV+, intercooler, HPFP internals, LPFP for just in case and more.
Now the car is with Stage 2+ remaped by AMD, and I`m very happy with it, it`s run very cool and much better and smoother than just stage 2.

The thing is. Time to time, when I push the car and change gear, after the actual shifting when the gear is engaged, and when I press the gas pedal again, the car doesn't go. It stays like freeze for moment no acceleration but not slowing down, as weightlessness, just keeping the speed for a second or 2, and then start to accelerate again. No management lights come on the dash, and no fail codes are written. And I don't know if there really is a problem with the car, or I'm screwing up something with shifting gears.

I hope I have described things well, I probably missed something, so I will add through your questions if got any.
Thank you in advance!

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Re: MK5 GTI Stage 2+ Power drop while shifting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:54:06 pm »
Clutch is probably on its way out

Offline nikolov92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 08:23:00 am »
The clutch also is been changed with RTS Clutch Twin-Friction, but is not from it, doesn`t slip at all.
Is it possible to be the turbo. When I bought the car, it start to have big oil consumption and after time I changed the turbo but just the CHRA Meat and Doria new one. Now the oil consumption acceptable about 1l per 3000ml. Also is pretty responsive when I touch the pedal, but is it possible to not spin well on high rpms, or is the limit of K03.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 05:54:52 pm »
Sounds like the ECU pulling the N75 to prevent an overboost.  Quite common with aggressive maps.

Gear shift spool up is a difficult area of the map to tune properly.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline nikolov92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 07:00:38 am »
So it depends on the map.  And is there a way to do something on the setup to avoid this?

Offline dazzamann

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:11:38 am »
Probably the clutch mate, literally having the same issue now & not sure what clutch to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nikolov92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:58:53 am »
Probably the clutch mate, literally having the same issue now & not sure what clutch to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If is the clutch, should slip and the engine should also trying to rev up. The thing is I don't have reaction from the engine, when I push the gas pedal after gear engage, but not always, I can't figure why and when doing this.

Offline Havelin150

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:05:36 am »
I would have a chat with AMD if I were you. I'm tuned with R-Tech and their support is brilliant IMO.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:48:55 am »
I must of missed who tuned it before im pretty sure AMD are known for crappy maps on the tfsi’s

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 09:51:12 pm »
Yes, clutch slip = sudden rise in revs with no vehicle acceleration, usually happens in peak torque, around 3000rpm in a high gear.

What the OP is describing is a flat spot.  Many things can cause that.  No.1 is N75 pull back, No.2 is ignition retard and No.3 is insufficient fuel flow.

No.1 and No.2 can totally be caused by a sh*t map.  No.3 is hardware.

When you hit the gas hard after a gear shift, that puts a big demand on the fuel, the turbo and the ignition system.  The ECU has a ton of component protection systems in place that will kill the power if something isn't right.

The absolute golden tool for troubleshooting this is VCDS.  Data log the key sensors (up to 12 at once) over a journey and then get home and assess the actual vs requested output in MS Excel or equivalent.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:55:01 pm by Pudding »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 09:55:32 pm »
I must of missed who tuned it before im pretty sure AMD are known for crappy maps on the tfsi’s

Indeed they are, and not just TFSIs.

Offline nikolov92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 10:25:18 pm »
Today, on my way back from work, I did some tests on A13 before I went home. And I caught when he was doing these things. In my attempts to shift gears quickly, I've been released the clutch more sharper without realizing. And for that, it happens from time to time.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 10:35:51 pm »
So you're saying it might be 'user error' ?

For context, I have a Helix clutch in my Edition 30 with Revo Stage 1 map.  When I shift and nail the gas, the power kicks back in hard and smoothly.  Absolutely no drop in power.  It doesn't matter how clumsy I am with the clutch, it just pulls hard all the time.

Any kind of clutch slip or ECU intervened power reduction is very obvious after a gear shift, but if you're saying it could be your left/right foot co-ordination, try fully engaging the clutch before mashing the throttle and see if that helps.