Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2 clutch upgrade  (Read 1826 times)

Offline dazzamann

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Stage 2 clutch upgrade
« on: April 14, 2021, 10:09:49 am »
Hey all,
Posting here as I need some advice on upgrading my clutch on my stage 2 Mk6 Golf GTI, its on its way out & still on the clutch from factory & approaching 70k miles (its been stage 2 for around 6months).

Its currently running stage 2 & the dyno figures are 291BHP & 320lbft Torque.

I’ve been advised to buy an LUK clutch kit but can’t find what torque they are rated too. Any suggestions that aren’t going to break the bank? Also will be changing to flywheel too but been advised that this doesn’t need uprating.

Regards,
Darren

FYI- thought i’d attach an image of it incase anybody wanted to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Stage 2 clutch upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 10:20:33 am »
Funny timing, I literally just dropped a substantial amount of money on a clutch kit from AKS tuning yesterday due to my clutch giving up the ghost. I went for the Helix kit which includes a new DMF, slave cylinder and bolts etc. The Helix clutch seems to be highly recommended by both folk on here and AKS themselves. When I spoke to them yesterday they said it's the best compromise between drivability and torque capacity (rated up to 420 lb ft), although be warned that the clutch pedal will be heavier. They also said it starts off fairly heavy but it gets softer as it beds in over time. Worth considering if you regularly spend time in stop/start traffic.

Getting mine fitted next month so can't offer you an informed opinion but I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. Here's the link:

https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/342-1012-helix-dual-mass-flywheel-performance-clutch-kit-vag-tfsi-platform.html#/247-with_or_without_fywheel-flywheel_included/248-select_drive_plate_type-organic_drive_plate

Although just realised you'll have a TSI engine. Think this should be the right kit for you but best call them and ask to make sure:

https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/1169-7568-helix-dmf-performance-clutch-kit-mk6-gti-scirocco-gen1-tsi.html#/247-with_or_without_fywheel-flywheel_included/248-select_drive_plate_type-organic_drive_plate

Out of interest, do you have traction issues at the power level you're up to? I'm currently on a weird stage 1+ tune (the only hardware upgrade I've got is a full turbo-back exhaust with sports cat) which seems to max out about 260 bhp. More power would be nice but the front already pushes wide on track when you put the power down so I'm not sure it's worth it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:27:35 am by brian_badonde »

Offline dazzamann

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:31:53 am »
Thanks for the speedy reply mate. Looks like i’m gonna have to spend a sh*t tonne regardless then if I don’t want issues within a few months, that looks like a sound option though. Seen a few people mention the RTS clutch.

Keep me updated on how it goes as i’m going to have to wait till the end of the month to buy mine, selling my old monzas today though so thats £200 towards it lol.

In terms of traction issues i have none to be honest it grips like f*ck, it was tuned by MSL & has a pretty aggressive pops & bang map (mk6_gti_nw on IG if you’re interested).

My current set up is the following
- 3” custom turbo back exhaust
- Ramair Induction kit
- Stage 2 MSL map
- Pilot Sport 4’s on front, conticontactsport 5’s on back

Sticks even in the wet & is ruthless around the bends LOL!

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:49:34 am »
Tell me about it, expensive business. I'd just spent the winter doing odd jobs on it, got it aligned on Monday and literally the first spirited drive had clutch slip in every gear from 3rd upwards  :jumpmove:

Not cheap but from everything I've read the only long-lasting option is something like the Helix kit.

Mine won't be getting installed until early/mid may as the parts are currently on back-order and due to arrive with AKS at the back end of next week. If you haven't pulled the trigger by then though I'll let you know.

Ok that's good to know, cheers. I'm surprised you didn't need an uprated fuel pump to get those kinds of numbers?

Offline dazzamann

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 11:27:16 am »
Haha yeah same mate 3rd upwards but its not bad over like 4k revs.

I thought that too about the power but MSL are pretty reputable so ill take their word for it, it does move tbh

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 10:24:18 pm »
The Helix is a great option.  I'm on my second.  First one did 60K daily driving with OEM smoothness and no issues.  Only replaced with another one because the gearbox was replaced, and whilst in you're in there and all that.  And speaking of that, budget for a rear main seal.  The factory fitted plastic one is cr@p.  VW changed it to a metal housing version which is a lot better, and that's the one to get.  The VW one is £120!!!!  But you can get an aftermarket copy for about 30 quid, get the Elring brand  :happy2:

Anyway, that aside........I noticed the first Helix could have done another 60K easily.....but it was a good oppurtunity to compare the older kit with the steel Sachs sporting pressure plate vs Helix's own alloy pressure plate in the recent kits.  No difference  :grin: 

It is a heavy bugger on the pedal though, be warned.  Your left leg will get a good work out in traffic.

I've tried several 'Stage whatever' clutches over the years and the Helix is actually the lighter one among some properly stupid and juddery peices of sh1t masquerading as a clutch.

I can however report on a more positive note......after nearly 80K with Helix clutches, both my clutch master and slaves, and also the crank thrust bearings are still tip top  :happy2:

The Helix is kinda pricey but for the love of god, avoid American clutches.  I had a SPEC clutch years ago in my Corrado VR6 Turbo and it needed 5 legs and and a crane to push the pedal down, and it juddered like a break dancer on acid.  AVOID!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:28:43 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D