Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 rear caliper hand brake leaver  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Nick

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 rear caliper hand brake leaver
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:58 am »
Good morning guys just need a quick bit of advice please. Just replaced my pads and discs on the rear. Brakes work fine but handbrake only works on one side. I’ve adjusted the handbrake etc but no good. So pretty sure I need a new caliper unless there’s a fix. The handbrake leaver on the back of the caliper is leaking??? See pic. The nut isn’t budging either. Thoughts??? Thank you

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: MK5 rear caliper hand brake leaver
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:47 pm »
Yes the caliper is probably seized which is a common problem, don't waste time trying to rebuild it just get a rebuilt item from a reputable supplier.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:25:19 pm »
On the caliper not working - did you wind the piston right into the caliper?

If you wound it all the way in, the handbrake lever will struggle to find the thread to push the piston back out.
Take caliper off, wind piston out till it only just starts pushing out, but still fits over the new pads and the handbrake should work again.

Offline Nick

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 11:45:12 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. I bought a new caliper today and fitted it, all working fine now. 5 clicks on the handbrake and it holds well.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 11:44:39 pm »
Which caliper did you purchase, out of interest?  I've seen some aftermarket red TRWs (same as OEM) at varying prices.  I need a pair and want to avoid fakes!

As above, sometimes they can be coaxed back into life, but the majority of the time, they're goosed and need replacing.

Ford Focuses, or is it Focii? use the same calipers and they fail, die, give up and moan in exactly the same way.  Integrated handbrake/calipers are just utter w@nk by design and is why beefier cars use separate calipers for the handbrake, or drums inside the rotor.  Just be thankful it's an older VW that doesn't use the even more w@nky and hideously expensive electric calipers  :doh:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:46:45 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D