Make a donation

Author Topic: Overrun on remap  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Gti_petrolhead

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Overrun on remap
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:41 am »
Hey guys,

i am stage 1 now and my mapper mapped in overrun 5k+ rpm so when i pass 5k+ rpm and i let go off the throttle it pops. How bad is this? Could i blow up my engine or will i be fine?

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Overrun on remap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:43:49 pm »
It wastes a little fuel won't cause any harm to your engine. Loads of people have this mapped in, but it's not for me.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 04:14:36 pm »
Not for me either. Reminds me of chavs in a saxo or corsa. 

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:39:19 pm »
Is fine if you’re running twin webers / itbs on a nasp engine with loads of cam overlap but rather synthetic on a turbo car. Not for me either!

Offline Gti_petrolhead

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:38:04 pm »
It wastes a little fuel won't cause any harm to your engine. Loads of people have this mapped in, but it's not for me.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

I hardly do it anyways i just got it mapped in for the bants. I got the BWA engine some people said it will blow my engine tho

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cs74kbq31gbc7hp5oi27d0d2io&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
The person you need to be asking these questions to is the person who mapped it.

Offline Gti_petrolhead

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 08:12:42 pm »
The person you need to be asking these questions to is the person who mapped it.

I did he said dont abuse it and your good. But i wanted to ask here to see what you guys say.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cs74kbq31gbc7hp5oi27d0d2io&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 08:41:28 pm »

I did he said dont abuse it and your good. But i wanted to ask here to see what you guys say.

That is the wording that would worry me. I personally wouldnt want my car popping and banging, but its the owners call.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:38 pm »
Deliberately causing unnecessary explosions on over-run damages the turbo, exhaust valves, the cats and also the silencers, if severe enough.  I've seen resonators/silencers burst apart from pops and bangs maps.  The pressure has to go somewhere.

Naturally, none of that happens immediately, but one or more of those things WILL happen eventually.  The early signs of imminent ££s are disintigrated catalyst crumbs flying out of the tailpipe, and maybe a turbine wheel blade or two.

I think the fascination for bangs and flames stems from Rally cars, but those engines are built to handle it.  Maram turbo shafts, inconel turbines, inconel exhaust valves, no cats, no silencers and they don't have to last many miles.

Of course people selling you the map are going to say "Yeah it's fine mate, don't worry about it".  It's not their property to give a sh1t about.

It's your car, your money, but if you want the engine to last, I would leave the pops and bangs personally.  Your local residents would probably appreciate it as well because frankly, it's obnoxious, annoying and about as cool as socks and sandals.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:11:30 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D