Make a donation

Author Topic: MkV GTI HIT 320 HP with A K03  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Bulldugg

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MkV GTI HIT 320 HP with A K03
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:00:39 am »
Thought you low budget hp fans would like hearing this. Installed a Shuenk K03+ , hi flow catted down pipe, S3 I.C. and w/m on a Unitronic stage 2 HPFP tune for the TFSI.  Mustang dyno showed 289.2 hp on a 62*F. morning here in California. That would adjust to just at 320bhp.
 O.K., so not an o.e.m. K03, but still it’s only about 15hp less than the Unitronic stage 2+ tune with same components ( minus w/m.) and probably about $1200 cheaper when you figure in bigger turbo and injector cost, upgraded tune and extra labor.
All in all, a nice option for those wanting that magical 300 number that previously only came with a high price tag.
I also shaved about 114kg off with Volk rims, Corbeau seats, rear seat delete, Alcon/Stasis 350mm Brakes, and lighter YCW reference coilovers.
Next is a Braille b2015 battery, Brembo 4 pot rear BBK and Passat LCAs. I have purchased 90% of my stuff second hand, so saving a ton over new. Not a top end screamer, but hella fun in the mountain twisties. Great acceleration.
Will post dyno results after I download them.

Offline cpor199

• Thank You
Re: MkV GTI HIT 320 HP with A K03
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 06:51:00 am »
What hpfp are you using?

Offline trussingbog5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:38:20 am »
This sounds super interesting! Do you happen to know if the Shuenk K03 is available in the UK, I've been looking at hybrid turbo options but they don't seem easy to come by here. Sounds like a really good way to hit that 300 mark without having to go K04 + injectors etc.
Can't wait to see the dyno graph!

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:19:04 pm »
@trussingbog5 - turbo technics make a K03 hybrid which is good for @360/360 with all the usual mods. That’s about the limit for the weaker axx/bwa conrods.

Offline Bulldugg

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:06:23 pm »
I have the Autotech hpfp upgrade. Rebuilt myself. As far as availability in Britain, go on the Shuenk site. Pretty sure they ship worldwide.
I want to stay in the 310-330 h.p. /306 torque range. With  the FWD, it just feels more usable in every condition. Have ridden in a
Few high powered GTIs and seems there’s a lot of h.p. That goes unused because of the understeer and wheel hop/ spin. Not trying to blow away other cars, just want a fun w/e tracker and autox’er.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:09:55 pm by Bulldugg »

Offline trussingbog5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 11:06:37 pm »
@trussingbog5 - turbo technics make a K03 hybrid which is good for @360/360 with all the usual mods. That’s about the limit for the weaker axx/bwa conrods.

Thanks Colesey, useful to know. Agreed, that it would be pushing the limit on a K03 engine, sounds like a good upgrade instead of the K04.
I've seen their website but no prices listed, do you know what's the best way to contact them?

I have the Autotech hpfp upgrade. Rebuilt myself. As far as availability in Britain, go on the Shuenk site. Pretty sure they ship worldwide.
I want to stay in the 310-330 h.p. /306 torque range. With  the FWD, it just feels more usable in every condition. Have ridden in a
Few high powered GTIs and seems there’s a lot of h.p. That goes unused because of the understeer and wheel hop/ spin. Not trying to blow away other cars, just want a fun w/e tracker and autox’er.

Cheers for the response, more power is always better but like you say, as a daily driven car it would be nice to have more useable power instead of just shredding the tyres! In fairness I haven't experience a high power mk5 GTI so not don't have anything to compare to.

Offline Bulldugg

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 11:49:48 pm »
I find that with my weight reduction ( Volk rims,  Alcon brakes, braille battery , Corbeau seats, rear seat delete, c/f hood, YCW coilovers, spare tire delete and passat LCAs, ) the 320 hp feels more like 400 hp. Acceleration and braking is vastly improved. I tip the scales at 2834lbs , which equates to about 20 hp added. So all in all, I think I am performing in the Caymen GTS range.