Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel Alignment/ARB set up  (Read 3170 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Wheel Alignment/ARB set up
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:53:43 am »
Morning chaps
I’ve just finished fitting new OEM Bilstein B4 shocks, TTRS top mounts whiteline front and rear ARBs whiteline adjustable drop links, power flex anti lift kit, new OEM ball joints, and a new rear calipers.
Firstly, can anyone recommend a top garage to take the car too for alignment and set up in or around the West Sussex area and second, what setting would be best for the f/r ARBs as there is 3 holes on each. Don’t want the car too stiff, but want to optimise the handling accordingly

Cheers
Louie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Wheel Alignment/ARB set up
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:53 am »
I've used discount tyres in Worthing a few times and they seem very knowledgeable and professional.

https://www.dtstyres.co.uk/

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 05:08:34 pm »
For the arbs, soft front and hard on the rear is typically preferred for better turn in.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 08:23:44 pm »
You will need to experiment with the ARB settings.  The difference between each hole isn't massive but with the rear arb on it's stiffest setting, you may find the front end feels a bit soft on turn-in compared to the rear.  Only you can determine the best settings.  It's more about feel/driver confidence than outright grip, as that's determined by the tyre width more than anything else.

I generally prefer the front to be stiffer than the rear as it feels less twitchy and more neutral.  It doesn't, contrary to popular belief, increase understeer.  There's more to that than a simple front to rear stiffness setting.

Anyway, I would start with the rear on the outer setting (softest) and the front on the middle setting and see how that feels, especially as you are running OEM spec dampers/springs, which weren't spec'd for uprated ARBs.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 08:42:36 am »
Hey Kev, thanks for that buddy.
I'd set the front ARB on the middle position so all good. The rear is on the top setting so i'll adjust that to the lowest. I've got the OEM shocks, but running 30mm H&R lowering springs, so will have a play. in terms of 4 wheel alignment, do you think i should just go for OEM alignment as i'm not tracking the car?

Cheers
Louie

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 09:40:40 pm »
I've got s very similar setup to you except with Eibach Springs. I've left the ARBs in the centre position for F and R and keeping it that way for a while to see how it is. As for alignment I just had OEM setup, although they said they couldn't guarantee it as the lowering affects the alignment values.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 10:05:37 pm »
I've got s very similar setup to you except with Eibach Springs. I've left the ARBs in the centre position for F and R and keeping it that way for a while to see how it is. As for alignment I just had OEM setup, although they said they couldn't guarantee it as the lowering affects the alignment values.

Thanks bud. I've now decided to change out the other rear suspension parts as below, as went to get alignment done yesterday at a pals garage who has the hunter wheel alignment kit, but due to bolts being totally sized, he couldn't adjust the rear alignment, hence i thought i might as well replace the lot!!!! £340 all in, and i went for Lemforder/Febi parts. Firring next Tuesday and back for alignment on Wednesday
1 x Febi 40438 Track Rod, Rear Right () = £29.16
1 x Febi 40439 Track Rod, Rear Left () = £29.16
1 x Febi 38845 Trailing Arm, Left () = £29.40
1 x Febi 38846 Trailing Arm, Right () = £29.40
2 x Lemforder 3891001 Bolt Kit, Rear Upper Control Arm () = £34.44
2 x Lemforder 3675801 Control Arm, Lower () = £102.12
2 x Lemforder 3546301 Control Arm, Upper () = £72.84
1 x Lemforder 3890601 Bolt Kit, Trailing Arm () = £13.50

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hlf0rc9vqvv1qci7o668c03muf&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:49:46 pm »
There are new lemforder rear arm bundles on eBay for cheap

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 07:01:29 am »
There are new lemforder rear arm bundles on eBay for cheap

Seen a set from Germany for £221

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164767216313?epid=1227061311&hash=item265ce432b9:g:4fcAAOSwdfJdknrF

but i don't need the drop links, it doesn't come with the bolt kits, and there are custom charges to pay, hence i bought from AVS. Also they do next day delivery :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 10:57:29 pm »
Lemforder is good stuff.  Everything I've had from them looks identical to oem  :happy2:

As for geo.....stick to oem for a road car unless you really push it hard.   Stock is zero toe, -0.55 front camber and around -2 camber at the back iirc.

The more camber you add up front, the more unsettled and twitchy (left/right tugging on uneven surfaces) it becomes in a straight line, but the pay off is in the corners. 

Best way to judge your camber requirements is to look at your front tyres' outer tread blocks.  If they're rounded off from hard cornering, you need more neg camber.  If the wear is even across the tyre width, the geo is fine for your needs  :happy2:  MK5s run a lot of positive caster (+6 - 7 deg), which by the laws of physics = a lot of dynamic camber (road wheel naturally tips over as you steer - look at my sig pic), so they don't need much static camber adding, unlike older VWs with tiny +3 deg caster.

Sounds confusing I know, but there's a reason why VW set the front neg camber so low and trust in their judgement  :happy2:

What I would suggest is SuperPro ball joints so you can set the camber the same on both sides.  Out of the factory, they have more camber on one side due to the slop in the subframe.  Ultimately that just means cornering in one direction feels a bit easier/flatter than the other direction, but not massively important. Just a steering feel thing.

Absolutely get the arse end refreshed and aligned.  You'd be surprised how much that end influences the feel of the front end.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:05:21 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 08:33:38 pm »
Hi Kev,
Thanks for that update mate. Much appreciated. Finished all the rear suspension today as per my previous post. Only parts that were a pig to remove were the lower banjo arms, as the bushes had sized on the bolt, hence the trustee grinder came out to play!!! The rest was easy and all bolts came out without issue. Got the Whiteline ARB/Drop Links on softest setting (middle setting ast the front) and taking Ron (reg's twin) for hunter 4 wheel alignment tomorrow. Even as it is, the driving difference is unreal, and i can only assume its how it felt from new...Will update tomorrow post wheel alignment completion

Cheers
Louie

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 03:46:48 pm »
Let the alignment begin

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 03:48:07 pm »
Let the alignment begin

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:02 pm »
Where did you take it to?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:15 pm »
Speak to Jordan at Gatwick Tyres. My pal owns Surrey Tuning just up the road from them and uses all the time. Top chaps and all total petrol heads