Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheap ED30 on Autotrader  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Cheap ED30 on Autotrader
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 09:50:09 pm »
150k.....

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:53:36 pm »
I bet its got rotted sills just like normal GTI's.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 10:04:50 pm »
150k.....
I bought my existing car with 128k - mint as fook!!!! FSH, drives like new. Mileage on these is nothing if they are looked after and the existing owner is a proper fussey guy and a trained mechanic. He's had the car 5 years and in that time has done 2 DSG oil and filter changes 2 cam belt & water pump changes multiple oil and filter changes. Car has been used by his Mrs, and generally back and forth to work. Older chap, and has also put a tarox front brake kit on, new rear shocks, new tyres and has really looked after the car. FVWSH up untill he bought it, then serviced by an indy and also him. I'm gonna see it tomorrow, as its worth a punt, and a totally standard car

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:08:15 pm »
I bet its got rotted sills just like normal GTI's.

I'm told there is no rust anywhere - Most of the GTi that have rotted sills have either been grounded or jacked up in the won area, which takes off the rust protection and its never resealed - hence sills rust!!!! Wings and arches are all clean.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 10:21:28 pm »
It's a 13 year old car. It's bound to have rust. You just haven't found it yet.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 10:43:36 pm »
It's a 13 year old car. It's bound to have rust. You just haven't found it yet.

Agree - Rust on ancillaries is a given - Rust on the "known bad areas" is another matter and this (i am told) has none. Anyway i will train it to Exeter and the guy is collecting me. its a 45 min drive back to his place, so will be a good test of the car. He's also text me earlier advising that he did the cam follower a few weeks back. We shall see and i reckon its worth a haggle and i'll flash cash in his eyes, hence if all good i'll go in at £4250 :jumpmove:

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 11:10:15 am »
That looks tidy.

Probably will need the cam chain replacing, so account for that.

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 11:27:52 am »
bite his hand off for that - that's super cheap !

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 11:30:44 am »
Thanks bud, it certainly does :grin:
I've been chatting to the guy for an age. Basically the car had 2 owners from new (May 2008) and in the first 3 years and covered around 30k The 3rd owner (real enthusiast called Richard Kirk (still on here??) from Milton Keynes then owned the car from Feb 2011 until April 2015 and covered around 50k - Till this point it's all FVWSH. The current owner has had the car 6 years and covered around 70k, but has not skimped on anything,as he to (like most of us) is an enthusiast and petrolhead. Everything thats needed doing has been done plus more! But as you say i know the cam chain/tensioner & sump pick up pipe haven't, so i'll batar on that basis. He thinks it may have been mapped as its rapid, but that remains to be seen. He's also throwing in a decat downpipe which he never fitted :-)

More news to follow :jumpmove:

Cheers
Louie

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 11:33:32 am »
bite his hand off for that - that's super cheap !

Exactly my thoughts and why i'm travelling 5 hours to see it. I've viewed Eddys with half that mileage and the have been total sh*tboxdogs!!! :doh:

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:32 pm »
How did you get on Louie?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 10:27:41 pm »
How did you get on Louie?

Well all i can say is, i'm glad i made the trip! Met Mark the owner at Exeter, as he'd driven 45 miles from Launceston. We drove to a Lidl Car Park which was about 15 mins away, hence i had an initial chance to get a feel for the car and i spent around 30 mins inspecting the car. Exactly as described. No rust anywhere, one tiny ding on drivers door, which will pop out, and to be fair minimal stone chips! The whole bodywork needs cutting back, but as i am a part time detailer, that's something i'm looking forward to interior is very tidy (needs my detailing skills to get it looking like new) drivers seat bolster has very slight rip, but easily repairable as i have a friend who's an automotive upholsterer. The passengers seat also has a tiny pea size tare, but again easy to sort. The leather is all good, but needs a good scrub and conditioning with a leather oil. I decided i wanted the car, so i drove it back to Mark's. Superb car. No clonks, bangs or rattles. All feels very tight, and pulls lovely, DSG is silky smooth. Engine bay needs a good clean, but its a genuine car.
Stacks of service history, and in essence the 3rd and 4th owners had the car for 9 years and did 120 of the 151k miles. I've also got the 1st and 2nd owners details, so will be writing to them to get further history of the car to add to the paperwork. Got all the MOTs as well
All in all a  bloody decent car. Got it for £4650. Needs a Thermostat as its not sitting on 90, and wheel alignment/tracking is a tad out, but for the price it's a good car, and will be immaculate once i've performed on it. Had a long chat with Ben @ R-Tech as know him well, and he called me earlier to see how it had all gone, which was nice. Great Drive home (305 miles) which was A,B roads Motorway, and some lovely country lanes near me, so had a chance to play. The Tarox 6 pot brakes are awesome....Put my mk7 golf R brakes to shame!!!

So first job is to strip off the arch liners, get it up in the air and deep clean the whole undercarriage. I did this on my KO4 converted GTi and blasted so much crap off, before neutralising the inevitable rust on ancillaries, and then hitting everywhere with waxoyl, and spray underseal. I'll post some pics up of how it is, and as it get transformed. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 10:34:38 pm »
Bargain  :congrats:

My 2007 ed30 is on 142k. I took the arch liners off recently and was surprised at how little rust there was, let’s hope yours is the same.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 07:24:17 am »
Bargain  :congrats:

My 2007 ed30 is on 142k. I took the arch liners off recently and was surprised at how little rust there was, let’s hope yours is the same.
Thanks bud.
My GTi was on 128k when I got it and like yours was clean as a whistle behind the arch liners. They seem to really protect the bodywork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk