Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheap ED30 on Autotrader  (Read 3939 times)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Cheap ED30 on Autotrader
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 09:15:38 am »
How did you get on Louie?

Well all i can say is, i'm glad i made the trip! Met Mark the owner at Exeter, as he'd driven 45 miles from Launceston. We drove to a Lidl Car Park which was about 15 mins away, hence i had an initial chance to get a feel for the car and i spent around 30 mins inspecting the car. Exactly as described. No rust anywhere, one tiny ding on drivers door, which will pop out, and to be fair minimal stone chips! The whole bodywork needs cutting back, but as i am a part time detailer, that's something i'm looking forward to interior is very tidy (needs my detailing skills to get it looking like new) drivers seat bolster has very slight rip, but easily repairable as i have a friend who's an automotive upholsterer. The passengers seat also has a tiny pea size tare, but again easy to sort. The leather is all good, but needs a good scrub and conditioning with a leather oil. I decided i wanted the car, so i drove it back to Mark's. Superb car. No clonks, bangs or rattles. All feels very tight, and pulls lovely, DSG is silky smooth. Engine bay needs a good clean, but its a genuine car.
Stacks of service history, and in essence the 3rd and 4th owners had the car for 9 years and did 120 of the 151k miles. I've also got the 1st and 2nd owners details, so will be writing to them to get further history of the car to add to the paperwork. Got all the MOTs as well
All in all a  bloody decent car. Got it for £4650. Needs a Thermostat as its not sitting on 90, and wheel alignment/tracking is a tad out, but for the price it's a good car, and will be immaculate once i've performed on it. Had a long chat with Ben @ R-Tech as know him well, and he called me earlier to see how it had all gone, which was nice. Great Drive home (305 miles) which was A,B roads Motorway, and some lovely country lanes near me, so had a chance to play. The Tarox 6 pot brakes are awesome....Put my mk7 golf R brakes to shame!!!

So first job is to strip off the arch liners, get it up in the air and deep clean the whole undercarriage. I did this on my KO4 converted GTi and blasted so much crap off, before neutralising the inevitable rust on ancillaries, and then hitting everywhere with waxoyl, and spray underseal. I'll post some pics up of how it is, and as it get transformed. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

A steal, very good buy, especially the brakes. Get some pics up.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 12:36:23 pm »
Thanks Bobby!! :grin:
I'll get some pics up soon. Work is bonkers ATM :fighting:
Forgot to add the deal also included a brand new 3in full Decat pipe and connecting pipe :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

Cheers
Louie
AKA Detail Devil :evilgrin:

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 12:57:28 pm »
Enjoy your new car buddy  :happy2: anybody that knows you knows you’ll have this car looking brand new and if the car was a dog you wouldn’t of brought it.  what happed to your last golf mate ?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »
Enjoy your new car buddy  :happy2: anybody that knows you knows you’ll have this car looking brand new and if the car was a dog you wouldn’t of brought it.  what happed to your last golf mate ?

Thanks mate - Thats such a true statement, and much appreciated :congrats:
Still got the KO4 converted GTi - Just in middle of complete suspension overhaul. Shocks, Bushes, Whiteline ARBs/Adjustable droplinks. TTRS top mounts, new balljoints, all rear end arms and bushes, oh and a new rear caliper as the other one was sized!!!!!

Cheers
Louie

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 03:44:30 pm »
Nice one Louie. Also looking forward to pictures/updates.

P.s if you decide to sell the seats from this one please let me know as I'm still gutted I missed the other ones  :sad1:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 04:12:36 pm »
Nice one Louie. Also looking forward to pictures/updates.

P.s if you decide to sell the seats from this one please let me know as I'm still gutted I missed the other ones  :sad1:

Hi bud, Yep i'll post Pics once i commence......in fact i have already started stripping out the spare wheel etc. Given the wheel well, spare wheel, jack/accessory foam a vacuum and wash down with APC. The Jack is a bit rusty...OHHHH NOOOOOO RUST :indifferent: :indifferent: :grin: so i've coated it in cure rust and once thats dried and done its fang, i'll give it a nice coat of Hammerite, so it looks like new. Also taken out the floow mats, vacuumed, drill brush'd APC'd and jet washed. Amazed how well they have come up as they are the original mats!!!
As this is a 5 door, unlikely i will look to sell the seats as although they need some minor repairs, they are in top nick, but should that change you will have first dibs!!!!

Cheers
Louie

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 09:11:49 pm »
Glad it went well, enjoy the car.  :happy2:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 09:46:33 pm »
Glad it went well, enjoy the car.  :happy2:
Thanks my man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 12:12:28 am »
My jack looks like that as well  :grin:  Who ever uses that feckin' widow maker anyway?  :grin:

Don't worry about the rust.  Some have a bit more than others but it's never structurally compromising  :happy2:

Mine's on 152K and doesn't look or feel it tbh.  MK5s were constructed with a little extra ugga duggas in the important areas.  Any rust is usually just cosmetic and easily rectified.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:15:00 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 07:36:58 am »
My jack looks like that as well  :grin:  Who ever uses that feckin' widow maker anyway?  :grin:

Don't worry about the rust.  Some have a bit more than others but it's never structurally compromising  :happy2:

Mine's on 152K and doesn't look or feel it tbh.  MK5s were constructed with a little extra ugga duggas in the important areas.  Any rust is usually just cosmetic and easily rectified.

Hey Kev, yep i agree no one uses the widow maker :grin: :grin: PMSL
As for rust, totally agree bud. Some folks on here (no names mentioned :slap:) seem to have "rust phobia" but having spent an hour yesterday throughly checking the exterior, i found NONE on the body panels. As you say the extra ugga duggas (Pudding speak) is what makes these cars last :innocent:

Cheers
Louie

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 10:27:45 am »

As for rust, totally agree bud. Some folks on here (no names mentioned :slap:) seem to have "rust phobia" but having spent an hour yesterday throughly checking the exterior, i found NONE on the body panels. As you say the extra ugga duggas (Pudding speak) is what makes these cars last :innocent:

Cheers
Louie
Have you removed the front wing foam inserts :happy2: 

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2021, 11:34:03 am »

Cheers
Louie
Have you removed the front wing foam inserts :happy2:
Foam inserts...kin things!!!!
They will be removed once arch liners are taken off as getting the eddy (Now called Reg) on ramp next week. Seeing as I’ve 2 black Mk5s 2 door and 4 door they are to be known as Ronnie & Reg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 11:44:15 am »
Please keep the conversation on here civil or this thread will get locked
Thanks

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 12:11:53 pm »
Please keep the conversation on here civil or this thread will get locked
Thanks

??

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 12:24:19 pm »