Make a donation

Author Topic: MK7 gti steering wheel on mk5 gti  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Gti_petrolhead

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK7 gti steering wheel on mk5 gti
« on: May 01, 2021, 12:00:13 pm »
Hi guys,

isit possible to get mk7 gti steering wheel on mk5 dsg? or atleast mk6? i want to upgrade my steering wheel.

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: MK7 gti steering wheel on mk5 gti
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 12:04:43 pm »
Short answer is yes... but I'm not 100% sure what's involved on the coding side of things as the buttons might be different.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »
Mk6 is easier and has been done multiple times-I have also personally done it. Requires the wheel and airbag, new steering wheel control module and possibly a new indicator stalk and clockspring.

It's possible to get a Mk7 wheel working correctly but it's more involved and from requires a special version SWCM, new clockspring and some custom made CANBUS decoders for the buttons with wiring changes. There's a VW retrofitter in the UK who does it.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 10:49:56 pm »
Mk6 is easier and has been done multiple times-I have also personally done it. Requires the wheel and airbag, new steering wheel control module and possibly a new indicator stalk and clockspring.

It's possible to get a Mk7 wheel working correctly but it's more involved and from requires a special version SWCM, new clockspring and some custom made CANBUS decoders for the buttons with wiring changes. There's a VW retrofitter in the UK who does it.

Here ya go - Not used these guys, but heard lots of great reviews on their work  :grin:

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:05:00 am »
Just to chime in... I prefer the look of the Mk6 wheel and fitted that myself, so not too hard.

I find the Airbag of the mk7 steering wheel too pronounced and just not as nice looking (imho)  :smiley:
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Gti_petrolhead

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 12:25:52 pm »
I could go for the mk6 gti steering wheel aswell. I also want to upgrade speedometer to vw scirocco r is that easy to do?

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 02:04:18 pm »
Cluster upgrades tend to require a professional retrofitter to copy over transponder/immobiliser data to the new cluster. I think some users have done it themselves, but you're better off paying someone for the cluster and to code it. Sourcing the cluster yourself and getting the tools and time to do the job, it's just not worth it.
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 02:28:28 am »
I could go for the mk6 gti steering wheel aswell. I also want to upgrade speedometer to vw scirocco r is that easy to do?
The only hard part is finding someone to do the immobiliser coding, and perhaps sourcing a cluster. The rest is a simple swap with an adapter you can get off ebay for the cluster plug. You may possibly need a new CANBUS gateway depending on the age of your car.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:50:29 am »