Make a donation

Author Topic: Knock/Clunk from Front N/S Suspension  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Ed30Skucey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Knock/Clunk from Front N/S Suspension
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:19:45 am »
Morning chaps,

Looking through the forum I know this subject has been done many times but I'm at my wits end trying to work it out, and haven't found the solution yet.

So i bought my Ed30 and it came with Sportline lowering springs, which I removed to fit stock OEM VW springs and gave the Front and rear suspension a good spruce up. Before I did this work there was one metallic noise which I traced to a heat shield which has been fixed.

However since ive replaced the top mounts, top mount bearings, springs, driveshaft bolts, tie rod ends, front arb drop links and front ball joints, I've had a clunk come from the front N/S suspension. This didnt happen before I replaced these components! All of these components are genuine VW items.

Ive checked the springs for cracks/breaks and there's nothing obvious. I've also disconnected the front ARB drop links and drove about and the noise was still there so it can't be to do with the ARB drop links or the ARB itself. I did also check that the top mounts were correctly torqued and they were.

As this didnt happen before I replaced these parts I'm thinking one of the components I replaced is at fault. Or my worst fear is that it's one of the front shock abosorbers. I've already spent 3k on parts alone for this thing so I'd rather get some enjoyment out of it now!

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
VW Golf Mk5 GTI Edition 30 No.1465
MG MGB Roadster 1971 Old English White

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Knock/Clunk from Front N/S Suspension
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 04:44:04 pm »
Morning chaps,

Looking through the forum I know this subject has been done many times but I'm at my wits end trying to work it out, and haven't found the solution yet.

So i bought my Ed30 and it came with Sportline lowering springs, which I removed to fit stock OEM VW springs and gave the Front and rear suspension a good spruce up. Before I did this work there was one metallic noise which I traced to a heat shield which has been fixed.

However since ive replaced the top mounts, top mount bearings, springs, driveshaft bolts, tie rod ends, front arb drop links and front ball joints, I've had a clunk come from the front N/S suspension. This didnt happen before I replaced these components! All of these components are genuine VW items.

Ive checked the springs for cracks/breaks and there's nothing obvious. I've also disconnected the front ARB drop links and drove about and the noise was still there so it can't be to do with the ARB drop links or the ARB itself. I did also check that the top mounts were correctly torqued and they were.

As this didnt happen before I replaced these parts I'm thinking one of the components I replaced is at fault. Or my worst fear is that it's one of the front shock abosorbers. I've already spent 3k on parts alone for this thing so I'd rather get some enjoyment out of it now!

Does it clunk all the time? Just going over bumps?  When you're steering lock to lock?
If it only happens when you're steering it could be a spring which isn't seated properly. 

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 08:24:54 am »
Morning chaps,

It could be any number of things. As the chap above asked, it's helpful to know what the car is doing when the clunk happens. I also had a clunk when I turned the wheel full lock for parking etc after I changed my front shocks. It wasn't until I had the wheel off again I noticed the plastic wheel arch liner was missing a clip, so when the wheel turned far enough it was catching the edge of it and making an alarming noise.

It could also be your front shocks as you say but I've heard more people complain of clunking from worn rear shocks than the front. But if it is the fronts they're not hugely expensive to replace. The other thing it could be is the subframe moving about which sounds alarming but is apparently very common, although I've never experienced it myself. If it is that, Tyrolsport make a self-centering bolt/collar kit for it that AKS tuning sell: https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/364-tyrolsport-deadset-rigid-subframe-collar-kit-for-all-mk56jetta-gli-and-mk2-audi-tt.html

Offline Ed30Skucey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:24 am »
Sorry yes I could have been more descriptive in my post. So it only knocks when going over bumps/potholes that are on the N/S of the car. If the bump/pothole is on the O/S then it doesn't do it. It doesn't matter what steering angle I put on, the knock is always the same. I wouldn't say it sounds alarming loudness wise more annoying. Like I won't hear it if music is on even relatively quietly. I am aware of the subframe 'deadset' kit and that may be my next trial to see if it fixes the issue, though as previously stated it has only been doing it since making the suspension changes noted above. Thanks for the advice so far.
VW Golf Mk5 GTI Edition 30 No.1465
MG MGB Roadster 1971 Old English White

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:19:25 am »
I introduced a similar sound when I swapped my front suspension with new stock springs and shocks and Febi top mounts and top mount bearings. I have VAG top mounts and bearings sitting in my shed waiting to be fitted (Along with lots of other bits) in the hope of sorting the noise.

What make were your top mounts and you say you torqued them correctly, did you orientate them correctly? They have a double arrow stamped on them that should point front to back (pic below gives you an idea but isn't OEM)

Good luck sorting it.

Stu
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:34:06 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 08:06:34 am »
I have a similar issue, replaced all my springs/dampers/top mounts and a few weeks later I develop a knocking like a failed drop link.
I went through all the front bushes etc, including the subframe spacer mod and the noise is still there.
I’m going to remove the suspension leg on the offending side soon just to check the damper and top mount but I’ve got a feeling the noise is coming from the steering rack which is quite a common fault.
Strange thing is after a wheel alignment session a few months back the noise almost disappeared for a few weeks, makes me think it is rack related as the steering calibration was performed afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 08:10:24 am by chimp400 »
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:10:32 pm »
A loose top mount nut is more of a intermittent rattling noise, plus it is very directional - it will sound like its coming from the bottom of the windscreen.

Loose ARB drop links create a range of noises rattles to metallic clangs.
Depending on their design, they can be problematic to tighten, diagnosis tricky with one wheel off the ground, it will hide being loose due ARB being in tension -if you have access, a 4 post lift keeps suspension level and in a neutral position.

Think you just need to spanner tighten everything in that corner, maybe a check of the subframe bolts too.