Make a donation

Author Topic: MAPCO - RIDEX.... car parts  (Read 2923 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=co9r7d0i93javfusg1b6gsq5dr&/topic,19740.0.html
MAPCO - RIDEX.... car parts
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:57:26 am »
Does anyone have experience of the above brands? I need two new rear stub axles and OEM are about 12million quid.

Ta.
Rich

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
Re: MAPCO - RIDEX.... car parts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:07:05 pm »
No specific experience of MAPCO but I extensively used Febi Bilstein when replacing (almost) everything under the Ed30. Prices are similar to the 2 brands mentioned. I used Autodoc but I'd be cautious now with the VAT hit you seem to get with anything coming from Europe. I believe if you keep it under £35 or so you're ok. Also, Autodoc were a bit sluggish on some deliveries, sourcing from within UK might not be a bad idea.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 10:15:12 pm »
I had to replace my rear drivers stub axle a few months back, long story short, i buggered the big bolt that holds the bearing on trying to swap it myself. Tried everything to get it out ended up buying a second hand stub axle off ebay from a breakers.

Didn't end well (explanation below) so i ordered a Ridex one from Autodoc like 4 days ago its on the way here right now.

I can take multiple photos and ill try fit it asap and let you know how it goes if you want?

Explanation - so the breakers stub axle looked fine was a bit rusty, no more so than the one i buggered, but after a few weeks the brakes were squeaking. The disc was rubbing on the metal part that holds the pads in place. Jacked it up and it was not spinning square/straight(?) Was a new bearing and swapped the back wheels to check so they weren't the problem. All it can be is the stub axle, it was probably in an accident and the stub itself must be bent by a fraction of a mm as the wobble at the edge of the disc was only 2 or 3mm.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=co9r7d0i93javfusg1b6gsq5dr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:24:45 am »
I had to replace my rear drivers stub axle a few months back, long story short, i buggered the big bolt that holds the bearing on trying to swap it myself. Tried everything to get it out ended up buying a second hand stub axle off ebay from a breakers.

Didn't end well (explanation below) so i ordered a Ridex one from Autodoc like 4 days ago its on the way here right now.

I can take multiple photos and ill try fit it asap and let you know how it goes if you want?

Explanation - so the breakers stub axle looked fine was a bit rusty, no more so than the one i buggered, but after a few weeks the brakes were squeaking. The disc was rubbing on the metal part that holds the pads in place. Jacked it up and it was not spinning square/straight(?) Was a new bearing and swapped the back wheels to check so they weren't the problem. All it can be is the stub axle, it was probably in an accident and the stub itself must be bent by a fraction of a mm as the wobble at the edge of the disc was only 2 or 3mm.

Yes please do let me know what the quality is like. Thanks.

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 09:16:51 am »
Genuines are SKF if I'm not wrong...

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 09:31:51 am »
No specific experience of MAPCO but I extensively used Febi Bilstein when replacing (almost) everything under the Ed30. Prices are similar to the 2 brands mentioned. I used Autodoc but I'd be cautious now with the VAT hit you seem to get with anything coming from Europe. I believe if you keep it under £35 or so you're ok. Also, Autodoc were a bit sluggish on some deliveries, sourcing from within UK might not be a bad idea.

Ordered some bits from them last month, £50odd. VAT was charged their end. You can see on the App when ordereing if they charge VAT or not. maybe a higher vlaue order VAT and inmport duty will apply this end?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 10:23:47 am »
Genuines are SKF if I'm not wrong...

Bearings probably are. Not sure about the actual stub axle

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 12:14:40 am »
Stub axle came yesterday managed to fit it today.

Cant really fault the quality it seems fine, the fitment was good as well no trouble with the bolts fitting the threads or anything. Measured the gaps between some holes on both and they matched spot on. Don't know how much you were quoted on genuine ones but i paid £45.97 delivered (for 1) and they must of included the VAT and I had no post brexit troubles.

They look different in size in this pic but its the angle i took it from, its not an identical design but like i said it fitted well.

Started to rain and i forgot to take any pictures of it actually fitted, overall its a big (cast?) lump of metal, not much mechanically to go wrong really. Obviously ill report back if i have any problems but i was pleasantly surprised.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 05:41:12 am »
Excellent. Thanks for the update.