Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with import  (Read 1571 times)

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Help with import
« on: May 09, 2021, 12:49:06 pm »
Hi all,

im selling my beloved MK5.
but i need some help.

When i bought the car in 2019 i found out it was an import. not a problem really. but the problem came when getting it remapped with a new cobra exhaust last year.

my power figures before the work was carried out was 212bhp, now currently running 260bhp.

on some websites when you enter the reg it states a pirelli, but no pirelli mods are present.

Could the German GTi's have had more power? or were the pirelli ed30's more subtle?

Any help would be great.

thanks all

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Help with import
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:22:39 pm »
Had the car in at VW today, as they needed to update the V5, as all it states is VW Black.

I asked them to confirm the turbo and they have confirmed that its a Borg Warner turbo.
is this the stock manufacturer of the k03/4
or is this an upgrade that has been stuck on the old girl?

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 10:07:40 pm »
Hi can't help with the turbo question but my Jap import standard gti also shows as a pirelli on some websites etc. Just an error i think.

Edit : Just done a Google search and the Borg Warner turbo is the stock K03 turbo.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:15:44 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 11:33:11 pm »
Borg Warner is also the K04 as fitted to the 230ps Pirelli and Edition 30

If it was a K03 you can't see the DV from the top when you look under the bonnet, the DV is bolted to the turbo itself, where  as the K04 dv is visible but remote to the turbo.

engine code will tell you what's what, BYD for the ED30/Pirelli AXX/BWA for a normal GTI (in europe) code can be found on the cam belt cover or stamped in the head (cover neeeds removing)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:52:18 pm by GVK »

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:39:21 am »
Guys thanks for the input, have seen that its a BWA.

Happy i now have closure but slightly perplexed as to why i was getting 212bhp before my map

Spose should never look a gift horse in the mouth ay haha

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 08:40:39 am »
Hi can't help with the turbo question but my Jap import standard gti also shows as a pirelli on some websites etc. Just an error i think.

Edit : Just done a Google search and the Borg Warner turbo is the stock K03 turbo.

I get the same, and mine is more frustrating because vw never compiled the V5 correctly. just states that it is a

VW
Black
1998cc

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:12 am »
Happy i now have closure but slightly perplexed as to why i was getting 212bhp before my map

That sounds like an over generous rolling road - you could go to 5 different ones and get 5 different results - plus power figures change from atmospheric pressure, temperature, quality of fuel...

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 12:03:27 pm »

That sounds like an over generous rolling road - you could go to 5 different ones and get 5 different results - plus power figures change from atmospheric pressure, temperature, quality of fuel...

This is also true lol.

Well at least i know my details now, so the girl (reluctantly) can be sold.
been instructed that we need a family car, and being 6'7 noone not even a child can fit behind my seat  :surprised:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 12:17:46 pm »
been instructed that we need a family car, and being 6'7 noone not even a child can fit behind my seat  :surprised:

I'm 6'1 with giraffe children, we replaced our family car last summer.
I was trying for a Passat Gte, hoping it would work, but it is still too cramped.
We ended up with an A6 Avant it has the space.

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:19:21 pm »

I'm 6'1 with giraffe children, we replaced our family car last summer.
I was trying for a Passat Gte, hoping it would work, but it is still too cramped.
We ended up with an A6 Avant it has the space.

weve gone dark side :(
Merc glc 43 AMG coupe

the deal on that compared to an F-Pace or a Touraeg was mental.

So now we have to sell my GTi, (well the mrs now thrown a spanner in the works saying lets sell the Golf GT TDi and keep my GTi - she wants a naughty motor to burn around in in her words)

choices choices

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 09:40:43 pm »
So now we have to sell my GTi, (well the mrs now thrown a spanner in the works saying lets sell the Golf GT TDi and keep my GTi - she wants a naughty motor to burn around in in her words)
Sounds like a fine other half!

Mercs are good - that is un-till the service costs get the better - replacement for split internal heating valve on W211, no one would touch it other than Merc themselves  £26 for the part and £350 to fit... and the alloys made out of fudge.

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »
Sounds like a fine other half!

Yeah she is alright

Mercs are good - that is un-till the service costs get the better - replacement for split internal heating valve on W211, no one would touch it other than Merc themselves  £26 for the part and £350 to fit... and the alloys made out of fudge.

i hear that, had to take the punt as first ever car owned on tick haha.

will still be part of the forum here though, not getting rid of me. Even though only just joined  :P