Make a donation

Author Topic: Parts Supplier Recommendation  (Read 1520 times)

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Parts Supplier Recommendation
« on: May 12, 2021, 04:05:52 pm »
Hi, First time posting for me, now that I have a black '08 GTi. Wanting to do a few preventative service/maintenance tasks; Has anyone bought from 'parts-for-german-cars' on eBay? Likely to get the fuel pump cam follower kit from them today. Not the cheapest, but more important the quality of parts (i.e. not cheaper remanufactured copies). VW original a bit pricey. What about Autodoc.co.uk - do they have a good reputation for quality parts?

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Re: Parts Supplier Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:12 pm »
Welcome!

Never used that particular ebay store but ebay can be a good place to get parts, just make sure they are genuine if they say they are.

Autodoc I have used although they are based in Germany and it takes a while to get your order. Autodoc can be good for non genuine but good quality like i got some Bosch ABS sensors a hell of a lot cheaper than Euro car parts.

The one problem i had with Autodoc was when i ordered some Moog wheel bearings, that said they were in stock, then last minute swapped them for "Stark Automotive" ones which turned out to be their own brand. not impressed!

Other good sources include www.awesomegti.com and www.akstuning.co.uk, Awesome have a few genuine parts, AKS have loads of genuine parts not sure if they are much cheaper than a VW dealer but it's more convenient to browse.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:54 pm »
Read the trust pilot reviews about Autodoc before ordering from them.  :happy2:

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 08:47:42 pm »
I've used Autodoc as above I got genuine Bosch ABS sensor a lot cheaper than I could get locally, the postage is slow from Germany and the tracking system is laughable! If you're not too bothered about the slow postage then you're ok.

I haven't ordered anything since Brexit so don't know if it's any worse than before.

AKS tuning are good but they have recently put a Facebook post up about them being very busy and their service being a bit slower than usual.

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:13:52 pm »
Thanks all for the great replies. I didn't think to use TrustPilot but will do. Will follow up AKS and Awesome first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again guys..

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:35:57 pm »
What are you after?

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 02:53:11 pm »
What are you after?

Fuel pump cam follower for now.

Thanks

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
https://www.coverdalecarparts.co.uk/ is also an option for genuine parts, prices are similar to awesome and aks.

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 12:49:12 pm »
https://www.coverdalecarparts.co.uk/ is also an option for genuine parts, prices are similar to awesome and aks.

Cheers Mark. Saw another recommendation for them yesterday and gave them a call. Very helpful with plenty of advice. Cam follower and yellow diptstick ordered.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 08:14:57 pm »
Autodoc are a pain in the arse.  Open their link from Google on your phone and it tries to force you to use their stupid app, even if you tap the X to say "no, p1ss off".

Sites like that are OK if you're after a particular brand, but the shipping can be steep, and slow.

Seriously, stick to OEM brands like Bosch, Lemforder, ATE, Elring, Sachs etc.  Always, always, always avoid the never heard of random brands because it will be trash.  Febi is also trash.

OEM from the dealer will always be the best fit, best quality, most up-to-date revision but along with most everything else in the world since Covid, prices have gone up MASSIVELY.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:56 pm »
auto express reviewed online parts suppliers this week online car parts came top

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 09:47:59 pm »
I've done a few orders from autodoc without problem but agree that delivery isn't quick (allow 10-14 days now) and tracking is crap but prices are good even with postage. Only done one £50odd order since brexit and vat was added at time of order so no more fees when it got to me, not sure if import duty/VAT would be added on higher value orderes or not?

Oh and their App worked fine for me.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 08:57:29 am »
I ordered a synth from Holland £62 taxes I refused it

Offline mcgc0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 10:38:37 am »
Totally agree re cheap 'other' brands. Think if engine/performance critical then original parts/suppliers a no brainer. For me it was finding my way around who stocks and sells these genuine OEM parts and the service they provide. So far it's been Coverdale for parts I've just ordered and I'll be using Awesome too.

I was on the fence when it came to the DV - go for a RevG or a RevD. Some asking around and reading put me (for now) in the RevG camp. I'm sure the RevD does the job equally well, but the engineer in me says the silicon/rubber seal surfaces would be preferable over plastic to rubber/plastic surfaces - even if it does wear more. Stock engine so not needing something more robust. If I need to change it more often then I'm ok with that.