Make a donation

Author Topic: Smoke on idle when warm  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Calum Reid

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Smoke on idle when warm
« on: May 21, 2021, 09:10:54 am »
I have a 2005 GTI (stage 2+ Ko3)and recently I’ve been getting oil burning smell along with blueish/grey smoke on idle when warm, supposedly these symptoms are related to knackered stem steals, although smoke goes away after getting on throttle it’s getting quite annoying leaving a massive cloud of smoke after sitting for a few minutes, any idea what would be causing this?

Cheers!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Smoke on idle when warm
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 12:11:05 pm »
It could also be knackered turbo bearings seeping oil into the turbine housing.  Not uncommon with remapped engines.  The extra boost massively accelerates thrust bearing wear.

How many miles?

A good test for worn guides is to back off the gas and overrun the car down a long hill and then floor it at the bottom. If the engine kicks out a nightclub smoke screen, it's the guides.

You can fit new guide seals in situ for reasonable money and see if that solves it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Calum Reid

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 01:46:07 pm »
Engine is on 70k, would it be turbo if I’m only getting smoke on idle? Suppose it would be dumping oil then burning off when stopped, Still comes on boost great and peaks at about 23psi.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 12:52:05 am »
Just seen your other post.  I'd say it's the engine rather than turbo.  Same problem as the other chap.  Broken piston(s).  Obviously only a full strip down will confirm for sure but a leak down test is a good indicator.  If an excessive amount of air blasts out of the oil cap, it's escaping past the piston.  A broken piston can cause a lot of oil consumption and smoke, but still show a decent compression reading......but combustion pressures are a lot higher than compression tests.

Offline Calum Reid

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 10:31:22 am »
Yeah I’ve been meaning to get a leak test done, reckon it is internals of the engine… expensive!

Offline Ash_89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 03:02:48 pm »
@Calum Reid
I'm getting mine tested again and making sure they give me the results. Leak down as well.
So embarrassing having a cloud of blue smoke bellowing out the back 50% of the time I pull away haha.

Offline Calum Reid

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 05:26:16 pm »
Yeah I’m going to try get a leak down test done one night this week, I’ve done a compression test and results were very high, could just be a faulty gauge though! Let me know how your leak down test goes:)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:16 pm »
Yeah it is embarrassing, especially from a German brand which supposedly reliable  :grin:  Blue smoke and rust......that's when I call it on a car!

Although a busted engine is a good opportunity to upgrade  :laugh:  It's a bit of a catch 22 situation because a car with a smokey engine will be hard to sell on.