Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2+ Edition 30 drive characteristics  (Read 677 times)

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Stage 2+ Edition 30 drive characteristics
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:36:26 pm »
Bit of a ramble going to happen here but i thought i'd just get some guidance relating to my DSG Eddy running a stage 2+ tune from a UK tuner.

To start i'll just mention the hardware i'm running: ITG intake, BCS powervalve with 200cell cat, Peron I/C, Loba pump, RS4 PRV, plus all the other required smaller items. Originally i ran a stage 1 map for a couple of years and then following install of all the hardware took the step up to 2+ along with DSG mapping. Whilst being immediately blown away with the outright numbers of 375hp and 411lbft the actual charateristics of the drive changed somewhat and i was looking to see what other people had experienced. I assumed it would be a case of just everything feeling 'more'. I'm mechanically minded but the ins and outs of software mapping are a black art to me.

My first issue was what felt like a throttle mapping issue. Throttle position was not directly related to an expected result. At around 75% throttle possition there was a sudden jump in thrust, as if the boost was suddenly jumping up. I don't have a boost guage to monitor levels.

Secondly, if i drop the throttle fully above 4k rpm in the higher gears 4/5/6 it felt like the clutches were slipping temporarily. This only happened during sharp throttle imputs or during the anomoly described above. There is certainly no slip when flooring it at low rpms and allowing the boost to increase naturally. Nor was this wheelspin as it'll do it in 6th, on a dry road.

Thirdly, under light spool, when lifting off the throttle gently the revs would rise slightly. Imagine disengaging the clutch on a manual car a little early before fully releasing the throttle - exactly like that. This doesn't happen if you lift off quickly.

Basically the car doesn't seem to be bahaving naturally, and i can't seem to think why any of this would be normal for a stage 2+ car.

It would be awesome if there were any owners around the northwest with similar specs who wouldn't mind a comparison. It could either confirm my suspicions or put my mind at rest!

Any input would be very much appreciated  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Stage 2+ Edition 30 drive characteristics
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 12:43:52 pm »
Did the tuner put the linear throttle map on?  The stock throttle map is non-linear. i.e. 10% pedal = 30% throttle plate opening, for arguments sake.

The delayed over run coming off the gas could be a lazy diverter valve not dumping all the boost quickly enough.  Mine does that occasionally and I have the GFB DV+, which are known to intermittently stick.

How long ago was it mapped?  You tend to find with Stage 2 and above type maps the ECU adapts things down and the engine smoothes out over time.  It can take ages to get to that point though. But if the boost requests are too aggressive for the ECU to adapt out, it may never settle down.  And that's why I ultimately dropped back down to Stage 1 because on my car at least, it's way more consistent and daily usable.

The K04 has a particularly nasty surge point around 3000rpm under hard throttle.  It's a very hard area to map around and that area in particular takes the longest to adapt down (at the cost of torque).

Anyway, give it more time to sort itself out.  If you have VCDS, try a throttle adaptation and do some logging to make sure you're not running into detonation.  Just basic diligence before going back for map tweaks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D