Make a donation

Author Topic: Battery died, power steering light and ESP light  (Read 542 times)

Offline wenman

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
Battery died, power steering light and ESP light
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:03:28 pm »
Hi all,
Good first post.
Over the weekend my battery died, after two trips to get a working battery (first brand new one was also dead) I got the car started and all was good and well.
That evening I went to go out in the car and the yellow steering light appeared along with the ESP light, after a quick google I did the recalibration and the light went off after a short drive.
However on the way back from the shop the yellow light would intermittently come on and the steering would go heavy.
Skip to today and the first proper drive out and after 2-3 minutes I get the red steering light and no power steering. I turned the car off, went to restart and it will not even crank.
Battery is brand new, voltage is all good still, all electrics in the car work.
Could it be as simple as a hard reset for the steering angle sensor through VCDS, although this doesn't explain the car not starting.

I've tried to be as detailed as possible, any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Billy

Offline teige

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Battery died, power steering light and ESP light
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 07:20:54 pm »
So the first problem to get past at the moment is, you can't get the starter motor to turn the engine over when you turn the key in the ignition? Did I read that right?

What happens when you turn the key in the ignition: sounds, dash lights?

Offline wenman

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 07:39:07 pm »
Yes although this issue occurred after, you are right.
When I turn the key all lights, windows, heater, head unit etc. work.
When I turn the key to start the car I get nothing, not even relays clicking.
I found something online saying check relay 53 under the dash so I will check that, I will have VCDS in an hour or so, so we will run a scan.

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:42:59 pm »
You can have good voltage in a battery but little or no current (amps). Battery power is calculated by multiplying voltage x current. It’s the amps you need to get a good turn-over of the engine particularly when it’s brass monkeys cold which is why battery’s are rated by CCA (cold cranking amps)** .Sounds to me like you may have a duff alternator and the car is simply draining the power out of the battery and not recharging it. Hence it start off fine but then died after a short drive. You can check the battery condition with a battery tester from Halfrauds or similar and / or get a load test from the alternator to check it’s charging.

** reliant on A level physics from 20+ years ago so someone may correct my terminology but I think the principles are correct!
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline wenman

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 09:29:12 pm »
Thanks for that the alternator is worth checking.
However with some help we got the car started by tapping the starter motor constantly while turning the key, so starting issue solved.
VCDS returned the fault 01309 powersteering module J500
004 no signal/communication intermittent

Offline wenman

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 09:30:50 am »
Just thought I would update this as the car is now running again!
The starter was replaced and the old one was not engaging when tested off the car.
But the reason for all of the issues was the earth on the chassis from the starter was loose!
Once this was tight the car started and ran fine.
Using VCDS I did the steering basic settings, one turn right, one turn left, drive straight and check settings. (mine has the MK60 ABS module).
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist
Then the steering limit stop reset,
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation
And that cleared all lights on the dash.