Make a donation

Author Topic: Passat Rear Subframe?  (Read 899 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Passat Rear Subframe?
« on: June 03, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »
Hi guys,

Just a quick question... I was watching the below video today and noticed they had a Passat rear subframe (Part no. 3C0505235H) on the list and just wondered if anyone knew if it was a straight swap?

I'm interested because it's aluminum so no rust, it also saves around 3kg but it's mainly for the rust  :grin:

Cheers,

Scarecrow

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Passat Rear Subframe?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 11:52:19 pm »
Love the Darkside technical vids!

Not sure personally,  it's a custom race car build remember so likely lots of custom bits and also modifications to make stuff fit.

I wouldn't worry about the rust on a subframe, it will take a very long time for a hefty piece of metal like that to be weakened by rust, if there is any on there now I'd be seriously shocked if its any more than surface rust, if that concerns you then you could always just clean it up and powder coat it. Even if it does rust through one day, they're not expensive for a good condition 2nd hand one.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:12:19 am »
Just found this as well (Skip to 2 minutes in):

Looks like it needs cutting the wheel well out and trimming some other bits so it can fit.

Offline Scarecrow

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 01:11:40 pm »
Just found this as well (Skip to 2 minutes in):

Looks like it needs cutting the wheel well out and trimming some other bits so it can fit.

Thanks for pointing that out @Clarkj93, I missed that.

Oh well, my subframe is fine anyway, I was just trying to future proof :grin:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:48:37 pm by Scarecrow »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 10:40:40 pm »
Love the Darkside technical vids!

Not sure personally,  it's a custom race car build remember so likely lots of custom bits and also modifications to make stuff fit.

I wouldn't worry about the rust on a subframe, it will take a very long time for a hefty piece of metal like that to be weakened by rust, if there is any on there now I'd be seriously shocked if its any more than surface rust, if that concerns you then you could always just clean it up and powder coat it. Even if it does rust through one day, they're not expensive for a good condition 2nd hand one.

Agreed.  It may look scabby and crusty on the surface, but it's a substantial chunk of beef under the scabs. The hassle to rewards ratio is negligable on that mod.

+1 on Darkside's vids.  I like the details they point out, such as the MK5's weak front chassis leg spot welds.....that came apart on their track car  :surprised:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D