Make a donation

Author Topic: Lost all electrical functionality from driver side door  (Read 807 times)

Offline DucksEverywhere

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Lost all electrical functionality from driver side door
« on: June 03, 2021, 02:10:16 am »
Hey all,

My 2006 GTI was having issues with the central locking. I replaced the central locking unit on the driver's side door, and it works perfectly from the fob - still need to replace the passenger side.
I had to remove all door trim to do this. I realised afterwards that the windows, electric mirrors and fuel cap button no longer work. There's no audible response from anything.

When removing the door trim, I realised there was a severed wire at the point where the door harness connects to the pillar connector block. It didn't look like an intentional cut, but worth mentioning anyway. I repaired it before proceeding with the door lock install.

It seems that something's gone awry while I've been working around that area. I'm thinking it may be the electric door module which is separate from the locking mechanism (which bypasses this door module, and works perfectly). I just don't understand what may have caused this.

I've looked at diagrams online and it seems I might be able to test the driver's door using passenger door module as a substitute. Looks like they have identical pin arrangements and I need to remove the door trim on passenger's side anyway. Depending on the outcome of that, I may try cutting the wire I repaired. I just don't know what's going on here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Lost all electrical functionality from driver side door
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 09:33:53 pm »
Have you got a scan tool?  Might be worth seeing which of the central electronics modules are having some difficulties.  If a few functions stop working at once, it's usually a bad ground and/or missing CAN signal. If the latter, it will almost certainly fault code. Was the replacement CL module genuine or a pattern?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DucksEverywhere

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:04:52 pm »
Apologies, I forgot to mention I took it to a friend who was able to scan it, and nothing showed up. It could tell when the door was locked/unlocked, but nothing about the windows, fuel cap etc. The replacement lock unit was genuine, as far as I know.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 09:13:54 pm »
I hate electrical faults! It might be time to dig the multimeter out and make sure the petrol flap, windows, and mirror switches are getting power and ground.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D