Make a donation

Author Topic: Allignement problem  (Read 1189 times)

Offline momo.mk5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Allignement problem
« on: June 07, 2021, 06:57:58 pm »
Hi all, after replacing my front suspension and buy brand new tyres i decide to make allignement, when i was replace the suspension, i removed the outer tie rod to change my suspension. But before the suspension i was changeed my drive shaft cv boots (outer). First the left one then the right one. Like always the allignement was gone. I was driving a long time with a curve steering wheel its was like 5 or 8⁰ to left and pull to right to left. So after 4 time allignrment, my steering wheel is always from 5 to 8⁰ to left, and pull to right, sometimes to left. I dont know where i must to search the error? First time when they allign it, in 10 min driving was gone, the same.they i back to garage said them then they allign it a new (another guy who work at garage). The steering wheel was good but not perfect, has some ⁰ to adjust, car pull al the way to right, i return to garage to say to guy must adjust because its pull all the way to right, he send me to his other garage, same machine but another persons. They make 2 time more and 2 time the same results, steering wheel is curve to left, car pull to right, sometimes to left. They was swaped front wheels with rims from left to right and back nothing change, i was controled the tire pressure made them 2.7 all the 4 same result. I dont know where to search the problem. 

Last allignement.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:00:10 pm by momo.mk5GTI »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=65amqtro9r947eg72f254tttlo&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Allignement problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:11:35 am »
By any chance did they use a steering wheel centering clamp? Not sure what they're called but its a clamp that sits in the middle of the drivers seat and clamps against the steering wheel in the dead-ahead position to make sure the steering is accurate. Good alignment places always use these but I've heard of some shops not bothering.

Maybe try and find a more technically inclined shop if you think its down to the technicians, a place that has much experience and knowledge of setting up race cars/track cars or just generally high performance machinery for example. If you are near Bristol, I would definitely recommend Lee at FCM alignment.

Offline momo.mk5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:07:51 am »
Yes, they use the clamp or what its called, but idont know if this machine has not the correct allignement or something i dont know. Im not from england. And also i was at the garage after allignement to see if has a broken parts, at the steering column or something else everythig is in good condition. I dont know... i can reach the secret acess menu too.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:53:14 pm »
The proper method is to make sure the steering angle sensor shows 0 degrees (scan tool/VCDS) and THEN adjust the tie rods. 

The steering wheel is factory set at 0 degrees to be dead straight, but if it isn't after the alignment, move it a spline or two.

Aligning it that way will ensure proper ESP (chassis stability control) function.

The alignment angles in your pictures are correct.

If the car is wandering around on the road with correct alignment, there are other problems to investigate.

What condition are your tyres and suspension struts?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D