Make a donation

Author Topic: T10252 DIY - Cam locking tool  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Curtiz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
T10252 DIY - Cam locking tool
« on: June 08, 2021, 12:07:41 pm »
I thought I'd share this with those who may find this interesting and would want to have a little weekend project to work on. I made myself the tool and it worked great! I did the cam chain and tensioner replacement and I had no issues afterwards.

Basically,

1) If you have the money and no time, BUY one
2) If you don't have the money, but you have the time (and interest), MAKE one.

Thanks to quietA3guy here >>  https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/making-a-cam-locking-tool.8571065/

After looking at the dimensions of the tool on the above thread, I wanted to be 100% sure so I opened up my engine/valve cover and took my own measurements. They were 100% (disregarding decimals) match to those that I found on the above link. My engine is AXX by the way. Don't know if it makes any difference what engine it is, but I guess not. Make sure to use a genuine T40080 Polydrive socket to avoid stripping the camshaft adjuster bolt.

I used a cardboard to make note of all the measurements and later used AUTOCAD to do a full scale accurate drawing (See pics attached).

Tools you need.

1) 0.6m long 20mm x 20mm square tube (You will later cut this into 3 equal pieces of 200mm length). Just get a 1m long tube.
2) A drill with different drill bits sizes for cutting through steel/metal.
3) A grinder or hand hacksaw.
4) 2 x M16 Bolts. I used my old axle bolts that were lying around after doing a CV job months ago. Also get 2 nuts to hold the bolts tightly onto the tubes. I initially thought of welding the bolts to the tubes but then I thought nuts would give a little play should I need to adjust the bolts to fit on the cams. Don't worry about the length of the M16 bolts. If you're using the axle bolts like I did, they fit nicely and don't interfere with anything.
5) 2 x M10 Bolts, nuts and washers. These will hold the 3 square tube pieces together.
6) 2 x M6 Bolts and washers. These will bolt onto the head to hold the locking tool in place. The depth of the holes where these bolts go into is 18mm, make sure your bolts are long enough to go at least half way into the hole.
7) Black spray paint (or any colour of your choise).

NOTE.

It is VERY VERY important that the MAXIMUM length between the M16 bolts from one end to the other (NOT center-to-center) be EXACTLY 98mm. This measurement will have the tool drop into your cams perfectly. Anything bigger and the tool won't fit. Anything smaller and there is a possibility of the chain skipping a tooth or you messing the timing somehow. It is also VERY important that the length between the M6 bolts be EXACTLY 163mm (center-to-center)!!

Anyway, details are in the drawings.

Good luck!

Everything set and ready to assemble

After spray painting and with holes for M10 bolts

98mm end-to-end. As mentioned, this should be the maximum length!

Final product. I'm sure if I had the right tools I could have made it look a bit more nicer. But hey, it worked!

Tool in use! Fits perfectly!

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Happy GTI, happy owner!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:44:25 pm by Curtiz »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: T10252 DIY - Cam locking tool
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:58:21 pm »
Good work  :happy2:  Can't beat a bit of DIY ingenuity to get around a problem and save some sheets.

I bought the OEM tool, must be getting on for 5 years ago now.  Think it was £110 back then. I hate to think how much it is now!  A fair chunk of wedge for a tool most people will only use once.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 01:44:16 pm »
Good work digging that up, I'm also a fan of DIY tools - Instead of steel box section could 3D print work instead? - how ridged does the span across the head have to be?

Offline Curtiz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 02:56:22 pm »
Good work digging that up, I'm also a fan of DIY tools - Instead of steel box section could 3D print work instead? - how ridged does the span across the head have to be?

Well, to be honest, I only considered how seemingly thick a piece of steel they used on the  genuine tool, so I assumed it must be strong enough for the purpose. Didn't want to take any chances. I guess if you can 3D print it would still work.

Offline Curtiz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 03:01:04 pm »
Good work  :happy2:  Can't beat a bit of DIY ingenuity to get around a problem and save some sheets.

I bought the OEM tool, must be getting on for 5 years ago now.  Think it was £110 back then. I hate to think how much it is now!  A fair chunk of wedge for a tool most people will only use once.

Yeah, that's crazy right! A one-time use tool that's so expensive. But then sometime there's just no way around but to spend some money for the sake of peace of mind. Especially on those that can't be DIYed!