Make a donation

Author Topic: coilover suggestions  (Read 2196 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Re: coilover suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 11:23:05 pm »
I think ill take the blue pill....

So, Bilstein B8 shocks, MKVI ones so they are more forgiving.

Cheers everyone

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 11:41:08 pm »
Let us know how you get on with them.  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 01:49:16 am »
That's my plan hence asking about the TTRS mounts etc.

Same should apply to the OP

I don't get the rub with the TTRS top mounts.  Well, to be more accurate, they are just TT mounts.  TT and TTRS use the same mounts.  There is no 'RS' factor to get excited about here.

They make the same rubbery squelching noises over speed humps as the GTI ones do (with some aftermarket suspension kits, but not all), so I'm not entirely convinced they are an 'upgrade' tbh. Basically, uprated aftermarket dampers are a lot stiffer than OEM, hence the rubbery noises. It's not a major concern as long as you are aware of it, though.  Doesn't do it all the time, just on slower moving, larger humps/lumps.

034 Motorsport dissected OEM mounts (inc TT 'RS' ones) and found the problem (big thread on VW Vortex about it).  Their street or track density mounts are probably a better mount tbh, but I don't think they come with bearings, so are roughly the same price as OEM TT all in, given the import duty nonsense.

The absolute best top mounts are made by Ground Control....but erm, who fancies paying £465 for them??
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:59:38 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 01:58:33 am »
I think ill take the blue pill....

So, Bilstein B8 shocks, MKVI ones so they are more forgiving.

Cheers everyone

I would.  They will prop up your existing springs nicely (nothing wrong with H&Rs at all, they are good springs) and it spares you the expense and inevitable disappointment of coilovers. 

I'm not against coilovers, its just that to get a decent ride quality and life span, you have to spend a LOT more money than the average kits.  Having been there and got the T Shirt, I won't sit by and watch people waste their money and end up not enjoying their car.  There are some really good coilovers out there, but there is also a lot of trash that gives them a bad name.

Offline PKGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 08:44:39 pm »
I have just bought a MK7 GTI for family duties so have taken on the MK5 for my daily 80 mile commute. I have very nearly gone for the B8 option a few times but have hesitated as I worry it will ultimately spoil the handling. Even with 118k miles, when you really get on it, the MK5 handles brilliantly.

I have a MazdaMX5 MK3 that I’ve fitted eibach springs to and they have a weird feel that is apparently ‘par of the course’ with progressive springs….

In my experience, every modification you make to a car has a downside.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 09:52:55 pm »
B8's are just an OEM+ valving, offering slightly more resistance - they won't ruin the ride...
That is unless you have an some sort of automotive princess and pea thing going on.

After market top mounts - Project Siver stuff is good for the money, they tend to use standard sized bearings so they can be rebuilt/upgraded
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:59:47 pm by LC5F »

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 10:16:22 pm »
I have just bought a MK7 GTI for family duties so have taken on the MK5 for my daily 80 mile commute. I have very nearly gone for the B8 option a few times but have hesitated as I worry it will ultimately spoil the handling. Even with 118k miles, when you really get on it, the MK5 handles brilliantly.

I have a MazdaMX5 MK3 that I’ve fitted eibach springs to and they have a weird feel that is apparently ‘par of the course’ with progressive springs….

In my experience, every modification you make to a car has a downside.
If you have a gander in the mods section of the forum, I've written a review of the b8 pro kit there. In summary, minimal sacrifice in ride comfort (if at all) but tightens everything up nicely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 02:12:16 pm »
The B8s are valved differently according to vehicle model.  I've read Bilstein have backed the damping off a bit in recent years as the old B12 Sportline kit was too harsh for UK roads.  The 'Pro' kits tend to be for non-GTI/R32 models and have softer springs than Sportline.  So long as the axle weights are broadly the same as the GTI for the TSI/Diesel 'Pro' kit, you can't really go wrong.

GTIs are quite firm to begin with, so any aftermarket kit for a GTI specifically will be a good 30-40% stiffer, because the market for GTI owners wanting something the same or slightly softer than standard, and zero or minimal lowering is tiny......hence why a MK6 B12 'Pro' kit is the route to go down to achieve that.  Only the Sportline is available for the GTI, being both lower and stiffer than Pro.

As PKGTI very rightly points out, every mod comes with a compromise.  Every change is objectively measurable, it's just peoples perception of that change which is subjective......which is why there is no universal kit to please everyone. Some folk find OEM too firm, but to me it's a wobbly old blancmange pudding.