Make a donation

Author Topic: bits for steering rack change  (Read 1002 times)

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
bits for steering rack change
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:47:39 am »
im going ahead with a steering rack change and just wanted to check im getting everything i need, could anyone confirm what ive listed is correct or add anything please.

Gen 3 rack
wiring loom
subframe bolts x 6
console bush bolts x 4
arb bracket bolts x 4
rack bolts x 4 (3 needed for gen 3)
arb bushes x 2

Thanks in advance.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: bits for steering rack change
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:30:40 pm »
Sounds about right.

A few things to note:

1) You will need to un-tape the white the clippy things on the new wiring harness and reposition them as they don't line up with the mounting holes on the MK5.  You will see what I mean when you fit it.

2) You will need VCDS to tell the ABS ECU to use the angle sensor in the rack instead of the clock spring, otherwise you will get a fault code and no ESP.

3) The ABS ECU needs an update in order to apply the Gen 3 steering weight profiles, which only the dealer can do, or someone with VW ODIS.

I have the Gen 3 on mine and didn't bother with step 3 as it feels fine to me, but if you want the steering a bit lighter, you will need to do that step.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:45:03 am »
 :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:59:32 pm »
Good luck and enjoy, it's a very worthwhile upgrade  :happy2: 

Another benefit of the Gen 3 rack/harness is it solves the momentary cut in power assistance problem when turning to full lock very sharply, because the Gen1/2 harness was under sized for the job to begin with  :happy2:

Don't be too surprised if your local dealers scratch their heads about the steering profiles, in spite of Gen 3 being the only official replacement since Gen1/2 is now obsolete  :grin:

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 02:36:41 pm »
job all done, quite an enjoyable one for an experienced spanner turner!
got the Gen 3 rack and 2nd hand good wiring loom from western power steering in bristol, cost was £303.
Steering does feel lighter as im not going to bother with the dealer flashing for the profile, you do get used to it after a day or two.
The play on the old rack was only noticeable when you removed the drivers side boot and moved the tie rod end up and down, so quite a difficult one to diagnose.
Noise all gone and im happy. :happy2:

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 01:34:40 pm »
So a few weeks after doing this with no issues, last week in the hot weather I develop another front end knocking noise but this time it’s worse, particularly noticeable when going over speed bumps.
I’ve checked all subframe bolts etc and had a good look round but can’t see anything obvious.
One thing I did do is to put poly super pro anti roll bar bushes in, I disconnected the drop links today and went for a drive and the noise seems to have disappeared, no play can be felt in the drop links.
Can’t feel any play in the Arb bushes but has anyone heard any issues with them?
I’ve looked at broken springs etc, I’m drawing a bit of a blank now.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 09:55:12 pm »
That could be the drop links themselves, although I guess stiffer ARB bushes could transmit some noise.  My Eibach ARB bushes (also poly) don't cause any knocks with my Gen 3 rack.  Worn ball joints can be hard to diagnose.  You may not be able to feel any play in them when disconnected, but under load, even the tiniest amount of play can transmit a fair bit of noise.  If the drop link ends move around loosely, they're worn out.  Healthy ones are quite stiff to move around by hand.

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 07:57:12 am »
I stuck a pair of lemforder links on it just to try and it seemed to be ok but yesterday on a different route to the one I normally take it was still evident, especially at low speeds on a bumpy surface.
I’m going to have to get it up on a ramp to have a nosey, maybe the Arb is contacting something.
All the other bushes, track rods etc have been replaced.