Make a donation

Author Topic: my new android stereo  (Read 1881 times)

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
my new android stereo
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:31:00 pm »
hi all..

as you may remember...  i was asking about android stereo's and a few of you guys told me to steer clear of cheapo's  :congrats: :grin:

i came across this unit from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/XTRONS-Android-Support-CarAutoPlay-Navigation/dp/B082DZDXSP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=android+10+vw&qid=1624562455&sr=8-5

and decided to give it a try... i think what really swayed my decision was also watching this video -

i also called this company (in the youtube vid) to ask questions about this particular unit and the guy couldnt have recommended it enough !

so i received it a couple days ago and finished the install today (inbetween working nightshifts  :sad1:) - just have to find the reverse wire in boot for camera which i will try and do on my days off...

1st impressions-   its ok  :signLOL: i suppose i need to play with settings etc etc too get more out of it...   but all in all....   me likey  :booty: :grin:

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
Re: my new android stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 07:33:07 am »
Any experience with the radio reception?

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:12:17 pm »
Hmmmm!!   Yes I have actually noticed that radio reception is more crackly !!!   I might try a new double fakra connector as the android stereo only came with an adaptor that only fits 1 of the fakra aerials !!

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 08:26:54 pm »
Nice looking unit - the first few minutes of this vid will help you find the reverse feed for the camera:

Offline Twistedandy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:55:38 pm »
I have an Xtrons head unit is the car as well, working on the DAB unit at present to try and get decent reception. The car has a heated front screen so the windscreen mounted antenna, that came with the DAB module is not providing a strong enough signal, any views on where my next step is?
2009 Black Pirelli DSG

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 11:32:56 pm »
Reception is down to to signal strength and quality of antennae - screen one is really just to get you going and will only work well in a good signal area

On the Mk5 I upgraded my OEM antennae for a cheap dab one - But then literally 2 days after fitting, I found you can convert to work with DAB, never tried this but have look at this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292311549820

The signal on the cheap one only cuts out in the really hilly area of the borders - I used to have a really good £120 Hirschman DAB antennae that never cut out - sadly this was left on my crashed Mk4.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 11:52:16 pm »
Does. It display in the high line clocks

Offline Twistedandy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 12:28:31 pm »
I don’t understand what “High line clocks” are?
2009 Black Pirelli DSG

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 01:21:10 pm »
I don’t understand what “High line clocks” are?

Basically just a 'full screen' on the dash. Was an option from factory.

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33055.0

Offline Twistedandy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »
I had a signal splitter and amplifier so have fitted it this afternoon, it’s has improved the signal, but fades in and out randomly. I am looking at 5 solid green bars and then two Amber bars seconds later. I’ve tried moving various components to see if I have a loose connection without any success.

There are two fakra connections which I believe are for the std VW radio which has two tuners and switches between each one depending on which has the best signal. I’m only connected into one atm. There are therefore two possibilities - buy a fly-lead and connect the two into the radio, or, connect the dab antenna into the current spare fakra to assess signal strength.

Of course, the shark fin could be changed to one that includes a dab antenna, but running another cable from the head unit to the fin is on the bottom of the list. Question is, could I use the spare fakra cable? That might bring it up the list.
2009 Black Pirelli DSG

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 11:53:36 am »
If I recall the 2 Fakra's are just separate AM FM connections - the AM annenae is in the hatch
On my Xtrons the DAB is seperate USB dongle that the antenna connects into like this:

And the DAB tuner is an app that needs to be downloaded.
is your DAB built into the head?

Offline Twistedandy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up for me with the AM/FM aerial connections. The DAB module is as you state, a separate dongle with the SMA male connection shown.
2009 Black Pirelli DSG